STD Maintenance General w123 ignition tumbler electronics

w123 ignition tumbler electronics

w123 ignition tumbler electronics

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

larsalan
Superturbo

01-25-2013, 10:03 AM #1
So, I've read plenty on failures of the tumbler to turn. Like it was mechanically fucked.
Today I was trying to start my car and it seems like the battery was dead. Ok, I guess I left the headlights on. There's supposed to be a warning buzzer for that shit. That buzzer and all the dash run on fuse #1.
Ok, so i put in a new battery, turn the key and the dashboard light are on. Starter wont crank.
Next, jumper cables to a prius(huge power). Now turn the key and dash lights aren't on. Full battery, fiddled with the #1 fuse.
Has anyone known of the key/switch to get electronically fucked up?
I will keep working on the fuse too.

weird shit here. I have been working over the fuses and shining up the connections.
So the radio wont come on nor will the fan for the hvac. But those say they're on the same fuse as like the cabin light, and that is on?
Also sunroof wont go nor will the windows.
These are all things that have to do with the switch in the tumbler.
Also, the horn wouldn't go and that should fire without the acc selection on the key.

WTF it is always something with this piece of shit. I bet it is some ice inside there fucking it all up.
This post was last modified: 01-25-2013, 10:44 AM by larsalan.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
01-25-2013, 10:03 AM #1

So, I've read plenty on failures of the tumbler to turn. Like it was mechanically fucked.
Today I was trying to start my car and it seems like the battery was dead. Ok, I guess I left the headlights on. There's supposed to be a warning buzzer for that shit. That buzzer and all the dash run on fuse #1.
Ok, so i put in a new battery, turn the key and the dashboard light are on. Starter wont crank.
Next, jumper cables to a prius(huge power). Now turn the key and dash lights aren't on. Full battery, fiddled with the #1 fuse.
Has anyone known of the key/switch to get electronically fucked up?
I will keep working on the fuse too.

weird shit here. I have been working over the fuses and shining up the connections.
So the radio wont come on nor will the fan for the hvac. But those say they're on the same fuse as like the cabin light, and that is on?
Also sunroof wont go nor will the windows.
These are all things that have to do with the switch in the tumbler.
Also, the horn wouldn't go and that should fire without the acc selection on the key.

WTF it is always something with this piece of shit. I bet it is some ice inside there fucking it all up.

w123love
Stockish

01-25-2013, 11:15 AM #2
Maybe the tumbler. I had a similar fiasco. I replaced the positive terminal connection on the positive battery lead with an aftermarket one from autozone. Mine had been eaten away. (I had a brand new battery). I tried to start the car after, and I got some funky symptoms. Wouldn’t start, lights, blah blah blah. I felt like an ass when I had to towed to my mechanic and all he did was tighten the new terminal connection to the lead on the battery post. Everything was back to normal. I suggest checking things under the hood to make sure the lead is tight and you are getting 12v into the cabin.

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN
w123love
01-25-2013, 11:15 AM #2

Maybe the tumbler. I had a similar fiasco. I replaced the positive terminal connection on the positive battery lead with an aftermarket one from autozone. Mine had been eaten away. (I had a brand new battery). I tried to start the car after, and I got some funky symptoms. Wouldn’t start, lights, blah blah blah. I felt like an ass when I had to towed to my mechanic and all he did was tighten the new terminal connection to the lead on the battery post. Everything was back to normal. I suggest checking things under the hood to make sure the lead is tight and you are getting 12v into the cabin.

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

01-25-2013, 01:56 PM #3
Check the clamps AT THE BATTERY. If that shit gets invisible corrosion it won't start at all.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
01-25-2013, 01:56 PM #3

Check the clamps AT THE BATTERY. If that shit gets invisible corrosion it won't start at all.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

larsalan
Superturbo

01-25-2013, 02:37 PM #4
Ok, so it's like the starter isint even resetting or whatever. IDK, you know how you turn the key to the 'start' position and there is some physical resistance against you.
Now there is none at all. And the key just turns freely.

hold on, hold on.
I am feeling super deja vu. I feel exactly as if this has happened here before and I was asking the exact same shit here at std. WTF, this is a strong feeling. Maybe it is just need to rest for a bit. We'll see.

ok, i am out there trying to take the wiring harness/plug out and it wont fucking come loose.

http://dieselgiant.com/repairignitionlock.htm

there's a picture of one there. Any idea why it wont come out? I am guessing my tumbler isint turning some mechanics to the #2 position as is required.
Also cannot remove that black collar it is welded on there or some shit

Got it, had to rip the plug in half. Now to try and figure out which way to put it back. There are 7 wires and it's like a triangular circle. 1/3 chance
This post was last modified: 01-25-2013, 03:26 PM by larsalan.

larsalan
01-25-2013, 02:37 PM #4

Ok, so it's like the starter isint even resetting or whatever. IDK, you know how you turn the key to the 'start' position and there is some physical resistance against you.
Now there is none at all. And the key just turns freely.

hold on, hold on.
I am feeling super deja vu. I feel exactly as if this has happened here before and I was asking the exact same shit here at std. WTF, this is a strong feeling. Maybe it is just need to rest for a bit. We'll see.

ok, i am out there trying to take the wiring harness/plug out and it wont fucking come loose.

http://dieselgiant.com/repairignitionlock.htm

there's a picture of one there. Any idea why it wont come out? I am guessing my tumbler isint turning some mechanics to the #2 position as is required.
Also cannot remove that black collar it is welded on there or some shit

Got it, had to rip the plug in half. Now to try and figure out which way to put it back. There are 7 wires and it's like a triangular circle. 1/3 chance

larsalan
Superturbo

01-25-2013, 04:03 PM #5
So to sum it up...
The problem was in fact mechanical in nature. Inside that tumble/switch somewhere. The harness is intact and all of those electric features can be run with a jumper wire. Just trying to track down a used key/tumbler/thingy

larsalan
01-25-2013, 04:03 PM #5

So to sum it up...
The problem was in fact mechanical in nature. Inside that tumble/switch somewhere. The harness is intact and all of those electric features can be run with a jumper wire. Just trying to track down a used key/tumbler/thingy

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

01-26-2013, 03:24 PM #6
(01-25-2013, 04:03 PM)larsalan So to sum it up...

I have a used one, but I wouldn't sell it to you for the fact that I had trouble with the extra one I have. It would turn to accessory but not to start.
Im sure someone on here has an extra?

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
01-26-2013, 03:24 PM #6

(01-25-2013, 04:03 PM)larsalan So to sum it up...

I have a used one, but I wouldn't sell it to you for the fact that I had trouble with the extra one I have. It would turn to accessory but not to start.
Im sure someone on here has an extra?

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         

larsalan
Superturbo

01-26-2013, 04:14 PM #7
I was super lucky. I had met this guy a while ago at lowes.
He come up to me and was all like hey man I dig these cars and have got some junk ones, et cet.
Wrote down his phone #.
So I called him up yesterday and was like hey man 'im in a pickle...'
He was like $20, go out to my house and pull it off this front half of a w123/300d.

Totally stoked, back in business. My ignition had always been rough to turn and this one is way better.

From that dieselgiant how to page you'll see he says set the key in #2 position in order to pull out the wiring harness.
But my busted ignition had no way to turn to the #2 position at the back end, even though the key end would turn through the whole range.
The replacement had same part # and manufacturer but had a slightly different rear side. Hooked up just fine and works better than the old one ever did.
I wonder which part is next to break.

larsalan
01-26-2013, 04:14 PM #7

I was super lucky. I had met this guy a while ago at lowes.
He come up to me and was all like hey man I dig these cars and have got some junk ones, et cet.
Wrote down his phone #.
So I called him up yesterday and was like hey man 'im in a pickle...'
He was like $20, go out to my house and pull it off this front half of a w123/300d.

Totally stoked, back in business. My ignition had always been rough to turn and this one is way better.

From that dieselgiant how to page you'll see he says set the key in #2 position in order to pull out the wiring harness.
But my busted ignition had no way to turn to the #2 position at the back end, even though the key end would turn through the whole range.
The replacement had same part # and manufacturer but had a slightly different rear side. Hooked up just fine and works better than the old one ever did.
I wonder which part is next to break.

rmd2k1
K26-2

01-30-2013, 11:54 AM #8
I have had that happen with my 83 300sd. Something inside the tumbler gave out and was unable to start the car. Had to jump the wiring on that connector block to get into a safe area to be worked on. I ended up splicing a push button switch into the harness to be able to start the car.

This car has thrown me a few curve balls but its nothing some good ol engineering couldn't fix. Lol. I lost the glow plug controller about 2 months before the key tumbler lost its start position. A starter solenoid and a toggle switch fixed the glow plug relay problem.

By chance is that guy you got that part from in the southern Indiana area. In all reality I'm roughly an hour east of where you are larsalan.
rmd2k1
01-30-2013, 11:54 AM #8

I have had that happen with my 83 300sd. Something inside the tumbler gave out and was unable to start the car. Had to jump the wiring on that connector block to get into a safe area to be worked on. I ended up splicing a push button switch into the harness to be able to start the car.

This car has thrown me a few curve balls but its nothing some good ol engineering couldn't fix. Lol. I lost the glow plug controller about 2 months before the key tumbler lost its start position. A starter solenoid and a toggle switch fixed the glow plug relay problem.

By chance is that guy you got that part from in the southern Indiana area. In all reality I'm roughly an hour east of where you are larsalan.

larsalan
Superturbo

01-30-2013, 01:16 PM #9
His home was actually to the west of where I'm at. Somewhere down a hick road in whitehall I believe. There were like 10 cars out there but more bmw than benz.

larsalan
01-30-2013, 01:16 PM #9

His home was actually to the west of where I'm at. Somewhere down a hick road in whitehall I believe. There were like 10 cars out there but more bmw than benz.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average