STD Other Open Cost of shipping car to US from Europe

Cost of shipping car to US from Europe

Cost of shipping car to US from Europe

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

jellydonut
1987 W124 250D

01-21-2013, 09:07 AM #1
So this is nearly impossible to find. All I can find are prices from the US to Europe, or people saying it's 'too expensive' because of DOT and EPA rules.. Apparently no one has ever wanted to import a car that's more than 25 years old? Rolleyes

I really want to bring my car with me, even though it will probably cost more than it is actually worth. It's rust-free and has the 5-speed manual, so it would make for a nice project basis as well. I won't ever find a W124 that's both a diesel and manual on the American market, so if it's doable and won't cost more than double its value, I want to do it. It's just impossible to actually find any people who will ship, or any suggested/estimated prices. Huh

Anyone got a clue?
This post was last modified: 01-21-2013, 09:13 AM by jellydonut.
jellydonut
01-21-2013, 09:07 AM #1

So this is nearly impossible to find. All I can find are prices from the US to Europe, or people saying it's 'too expensive' because of DOT and EPA rules.. Apparently no one has ever wanted to import a car that's more than 25 years old? Rolleyes

I really want to bring my car with me, even though it will probably cost more than it is actually worth. It's rust-free and has the 5-speed manual, so it would make for a nice project basis as well. I won't ever find a W124 that's both a diesel and manual on the American market, so if it's doable and won't cost more than double its value, I want to do it. It's just impossible to actually find any people who will ship, or any suggested/estimated prices. Huh

Anyone got a clue?

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

01-21-2013, 09:13 AM #2
Start calling commercial shipping places. Call the local DMV for the state you're moving to-they can answer your questions. It may also be easier to import into Maine or Vermont, they tend to have easier registration policies.

Second option would be to pull your ECU and transmission, but that seems a bit backwards...

You *could* always drive through Russia and charter a ferry across the Bering strait.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
01-21-2013, 09:13 AM #2

Start calling commercial shipping places. Call the local DMV for the state you're moving to-they can answer your questions. It may also be easier to import into Maine or Vermont, they tend to have easier registration policies.

Second option would be to pull your ECU and transmission, but that seems a bit backwards...

You *could* always drive through Russia and charter a ferry across the Bering strait.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

jellydonut
1987 W124 250D

01-21-2013, 09:35 AM #3
There is no such thing as an ECU in this car, friend. :p It doesn't even have ABS.

I'm not actually sure which state I'll end up in, that's the problem. I work at sea so it's mostly a choice of convenience and want, rather than work determining where I go. It will definitely be a state that has lenient regulations in as many ways as possible, including emissions. (no, California, you can't play with us)
This post was last modified: 01-21-2013, 09:37 AM by jellydonut.
jellydonut
01-21-2013, 09:35 AM #3

There is no such thing as an ECU in this car, friend. :p It doesn't even have ABS.

I'm not actually sure which state I'll end up in, that's the problem. I work at sea so it's mostly a choice of convenience and want, rather than work determining where I go. It will definitely be a state that has lenient regulations in as many ways as possible, including emissions. (no, California, you can't play with us)

aaa
GT2256V

01-21-2013, 09:56 AM #4
I think most of the cost will be in actual shipment of the car. Getting it registered should be easy with it being being more than 25 years old.
aaa
01-21-2013, 09:56 AM #4

I think most of the cost will be in actual shipment of the car. Getting it registered should be easy with it being being more than 25 years old.

JustPassinThru
W123 and W124

01-21-2013, 10:07 AM #5
US military in Germany, after the tour ends, when they return to the States, get their POV (privately-owned vehicle) shipped home for free, out of Bremerhaven. Perhaps you can identify the shipping company which does this, and make a contract with them.

When it arrives here, wash it thoroughly, especially the underside. Seawater spray will rust it to hell if you don't. But you probably already know that.

If you marry an Air Force officer, she can have it shipped over by air, in the hold of a C-17.
This post was last modified: 01-21-2013, 10:11 AM by JustPassinThru.

Gone but not forgotten: two W123 sedans and two W124 wagons.
W124 1987 300TD wagon, for sale, $1000 (some assembly required).
JustPassinThru
01-21-2013, 10:07 AM #5

US military in Germany, after the tour ends, when they return to the States, get their POV (privately-owned vehicle) shipped home for free, out of Bremerhaven. Perhaps you can identify the shipping company which does this, and make a contract with them.

When it arrives here, wash it thoroughly, especially the underside. Seawater spray will rust it to hell if you don't. But you probably already know that.

If you marry an Air Force officer, she can have it shipped over by air, in the hold of a C-17.

Gone but not forgotten: two W123 sedans and two W124 wagons.
W124 1987 300TD wagon, for sale, $1000 (some assembly required).

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average