STD Tuning Body Mods Removal of wheel arch trim + boot lid trim (also: seat question)

Removal of wheel arch trim + boot lid trim (also: seat question)

Removal of wheel arch trim + boot lid trim (also: seat question)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

jellydonut
1987 W124 250D

01-03-2013, 11:31 PM #1
My poor W124 has gotten the horrible chrome wheel arch trim and reflector panel between the taillights treatment by one of its previous owners.

Has anyone tried removing these? I'm kind of wary of doing it due to rust.

The front fenders would be an easy fix, I could just buy used ones. (maybe even get the turbodiesel version with the fancy vent..) The rear fenders would be worse. I believe they're nailed or screwed in place. Both equally horrible..

Also, does anyone know of any good aftermarket seats for the W124? I want ones with more support and racing-approved mounts, without making the car look like it belongs on a race track.
jellydonut
01-03-2013, 11:31 PM #1

My poor W124 has gotten the horrible chrome wheel arch trim and reflector panel between the taillights treatment by one of its previous owners.

Has anyone tried removing these? I'm kind of wary of doing it due to rust.

The front fenders would be an easy fix, I could just buy used ones. (maybe even get the turbodiesel version with the fancy vent..) The rear fenders would be worse. I believe they're nailed or screwed in place. Both equally horrible..

Also, does anyone know of any good aftermarket seats for the W124? I want ones with more support and racing-approved mounts, without making the car look like it belongs on a race track.

haromaster87
1984 300D Turbo

01-05-2013, 02:40 AM #2
Well from what I've ever seen of those types of things, they are either held in place with adhesive or screwed in. If yours are screwed in, obviously remove the screw.

It is true that you may have to worry about rust and things of the sort below there, but keeping them on there wont help that. It will just get worse. I say first inspect them really well and find out how exactly they're secured on there. Remove any mounting hardware and see if they come off.

I suppose if they were indeed nailed/screwed in there, you could see if there is any signs of rust around where the hardware was at, and go about filling the hole in from there.

There are a plethora of compounds and things of the such you could use to fill in the holes. As with any bodywork, it would be tricky to do it without making it stick out like a sore thumb, but I'm sure it could be done.

As for the reflector panel between the tail lights, I'm almost certain that will be stick on. Honestly, I don't know the best ways to remove stuff like that, but a quick google or forum search should bring up some good methods for you.

Best of luck!
haromaster87
01-05-2013, 02:40 AM #2

Well from what I've ever seen of those types of things, they are either held in place with adhesive or screwed in. If yours are screwed in, obviously remove the screw.

It is true that you may have to worry about rust and things of the sort below there, but keeping them on there wont help that. It will just get worse. I say first inspect them really well and find out how exactly they're secured on there. Remove any mounting hardware and see if they come off.

I suppose if they were indeed nailed/screwed in there, you could see if there is any signs of rust around where the hardware was at, and go about filling the hole in from there.

There are a plethora of compounds and things of the such you could use to fill in the holes. As with any bodywork, it would be tricky to do it without making it stick out like a sore thumb, but I'm sure it could be done.

As for the reflector panel between the tail lights, I'm almost certain that will be stick on. Honestly, I don't know the best ways to remove stuff like that, but a quick google or forum search should bring up some good methods for you.

Best of luck!

mbz123
GT2256V

05-04-2013, 05:17 AM #3
Word!

One werd actually. FLOSS

Ever cut a huge block o' cheese with the wire saw? Same idea.

MBZ123
mbz123
05-04-2013, 05:17 AM #3

Word!

One werd actually. FLOSS

Ever cut a huge block o' cheese with the wire saw? Same idea.

MBZ123

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average