STD Tuning Drivetrain flywheels why wont gasser m110 work on om61x

flywheels why wont gasser m110 work on om61x

flywheels why wont gasser m110 work on om61x

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

unaleman
Naturally-aspirated

06-10-2009, 10:51 PM #1
Hello all. I need help with an answer about the compatibility of flywheels. I think Forced Induction has posted that gasser flywheels will not work on diesels... however I discovered a post by the late Dr. Marshall Booth(der diesel doktor) responding to flywheel question that a 250/280 m110 flywheel is a better match for a om617(five cyl) than the common 240d flywheel seemingly used by most everyone doing these conversions. on gelandewagen site there is mention of using these flywheels (m110) on their 280ge to gd conversions. I have 2 complete setups of pedal assemblies,flywheels,4sp trans and shifters from 280ce (coupes) and,provided one does the match balance thing, why...exactly... wont it work? thanks in advance for your time in responding.
unaleman
06-10-2009, 10:51 PM #1

Hello all. I need help with an answer about the compatibility of flywheels. I think Forced Induction has posted that gasser flywheels will not work on diesels... however I discovered a post by the late Dr. Marshall Booth(der diesel doktor) responding to flywheel question that a 250/280 m110 flywheel is a better match for a om617(five cyl) than the common 240d flywheel seemingly used by most everyone doing these conversions. on gelandewagen site there is mention of using these flywheels (m110) on their 280ge to gd conversions. I have 2 complete setups of pedal assemblies,flywheels,4sp trans and shifters from 280ce (coupes) and,provided one does the match balance thing, why...exactly... wont it work? thanks in advance for your time in responding.

ForcedInduction
Banned

06-11-2009, 05:09 AM #2
Dr. Booth knew lots of things but Diesel performance was not a good area for him (He also thought turning the ALDA screw increased maximum horsepower).

The OM617 flywheel is 35lbs and the M110 FW is about 1/3 of that, far too light for much more than racing. It would have crap for torque off the line and would need to idle high to keep from stalling and shaking the bolts off the car.
This post was last modified: 06-11-2009, 05:09 AM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
06-11-2009, 05:09 AM #2

Dr. Booth knew lots of things but Diesel performance was not a good area for him (He also thought turning the ALDA screw increased maximum horsepower).

The OM617 flywheel is 35lbs and the M110 FW is about 1/3 of that, far too light for much more than racing. It would have crap for torque off the line and would need to idle high to keep from stalling and shaking the bolts off the car.

CID Vicious
Unregistered

06-11-2009, 07:02 PM #3
Sounds like one of those things that sounds great on paper (like my set-back 240D engine idea) until you get into the specifics - "a lighter flywheel that bolts up and balances, why not?" well, the crank, rods, and pistons are all beefier than their NA gas component counterparts would have been, even with the extra cylinder apparently. Beefier = heavier until Titanium becomes involved.

One thing for the adventurous (i.e. those that want to do a clutch job twice, essentially, just to see) would be to bolt one in and find out (if it indeed does). If it's a race piece that's perhaps inappropriate for the street, well, maybe one of us will build a 300D race car and want to use it for that purpose. Race car parts often only belong on race cars, there's good reasons our car doesn't come with solid engine and trans mounts, for instance. However, if it were a good match for a 'diesel track car' it would be cool to know that it works for such a purpose. An SVO 300D stripped out and modded for racing would be really cool, and maybe with a VGT the low end torque would be enough to compensate for the lighter flywheel, and high idles aren't an obstacle for a race car.

However, that said, I ain't no guinea pig, not at this point in my life, anyway.
CID Vicious
06-11-2009, 07:02 PM #3

Sounds like one of those things that sounds great on paper (like my set-back 240D engine idea) until you get into the specifics - "a lighter flywheel that bolts up and balances, why not?" well, the crank, rods, and pistons are all beefier than their NA gas component counterparts would have been, even with the extra cylinder apparently. Beefier = heavier until Titanium becomes involved.

One thing for the adventurous (i.e. those that want to do a clutch job twice, essentially, just to see) would be to bolt one in and find out (if it indeed does). If it's a race piece that's perhaps inappropriate for the street, well, maybe one of us will build a 300D race car and want to use it for that purpose. Race car parts often only belong on race cars, there's good reasons our car doesn't come with solid engine and trans mounts, for instance. However, if it were a good match for a 'diesel track car' it would be cool to know that it works for such a purpose. An SVO 300D stripped out and modded for racing would be really cool, and maybe with a VGT the low end torque would be enough to compensate for the lighter flywheel, and high idles aren't an obstacle for a race car.

However, that said, I ain't no guinea pig, not at this point in my life, anyway.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average