STD Maintenance General Puzzle

Puzzle

Puzzle

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

83300d
GTA2056V

12-22-2012, 11:22 PM #1
Posted this on the Benzworld site and going to cut and paste here to help increase my odds of getting back on the road.

Last night I drove my 1983 300d for a good 2 hours on the highway after it sat for a week while me and the family were away enjoying the hot springs in the Rocky Mountains.

The car started up without any problems and ran well for the entire run. Parked it in the driveway and plugged it in as the temperatures are starting to drop.
This morning I woke up and the car wouldn't start!!! It turns over and feels like it wants to start but it just doesn't.

Opened the hood and nothing seemed out of the ordinary till I looked in the radiator reservoir tank and found some frozen water!!! Seemed a little strange as the temps have been colder where I work and haven't had any problems so started checking into some other things.

Found that the block heater cord had a torn wire but otherwise everything else seems good. Tried boosting with the wife's suburban and even pulled the battery in it and tried to turn over with just the wife's car but still NOTHING!!

The battery is charging in the other room as I type this, and wondering if anyone has any insight into the problem.

Regardless of whether you do or don't HAPPY HOLIDAYS and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Oh and the glowplugs aren't more than a year old and have been hardwired to a switch under the dash.
This post was last modified: 12-22-2012, 11:24 PM by 83300d.
83300d
12-22-2012, 11:22 PM #1

Posted this on the Benzworld site and going to cut and paste here to help increase my odds of getting back on the road.

Last night I drove my 1983 300d for a good 2 hours on the highway after it sat for a week while me and the family were away enjoying the hot springs in the Rocky Mountains.

The car started up without any problems and ran well for the entire run. Parked it in the driveway and plugged it in as the temperatures are starting to drop.
This morning I woke up and the car wouldn't start!!! It turns over and feels like it wants to start but it just doesn't.

Opened the hood and nothing seemed out of the ordinary till I looked in the radiator reservoir tank and found some frozen water!!! Seemed a little strange as the temps have been colder where I work and haven't had any problems so started checking into some other things.

Found that the block heater cord had a torn wire but otherwise everything else seems good. Tried boosting with the wife's suburban and even pulled the battery in it and tried to turn over with just the wife's car but still NOTHING!!

The battery is charging in the other room as I type this, and wondering if anyone has any insight into the problem.

Regardless of whether you do or don't HAPPY HOLIDAYS and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Oh and the glowplugs aren't more than a year old and have been hardwired to a switch under the dash.

larsalan
Superturbo

12-23-2012, 07:21 AM #2
well those are the things to check, right?
1. get some antifreeze
2. heat up the block
3. check the plugs
4. get a lot of juice on the battery

I think maybe plugs are a likely problem. maybe one fails, then another fails. Regardless of being just 1yr old.
also sounds pretty dangerous to have ice under the hood

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
12-23-2012, 07:21 AM #2

well those are the things to check, right?
1. get some antifreeze
2. heat up the block
3. check the plugs
4. get a lot of juice on the battery

I think maybe plugs are a likely problem. maybe one fails, then another fails. Regardless of being just 1yr old.
also sounds pretty dangerous to have ice under the hood

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

12-23-2012, 09:00 AM #3
Does it have antifreeze in the block?? I sure hope so.. Smile

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
12-23-2012, 09:00 AM #3

Does it have antifreeze in the block?? I sure hope so.. Smile

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         

83300d
GTA2056V

12-23-2012, 01:59 PM #4
It did have so I sure hope it still does. Hoping to get it started in order to drain the rad and add new antifreeze. Of course being so close to Christmas going to be hard to get a set of glowplugs ordered up.

Hmm speaking of which anyone tried http://mercedessource.com/node/2842 to ream out some of the carbon around the glowplug area? Lots of km on this engine so probably pretty messy inside.

On the subject of carbon build up - any other advice? Plan on tearing the engine apart in the spring to transplant but in the meantime if there is something that will clean the guts up i am listening.

Have seen some people swear by SEAFOAM but I have never used it. Huh
This post was last modified: 12-23-2012, 02:04 PM by 83300d.
83300d
12-23-2012, 01:59 PM #4

It did have so I sure hope it still does. Hoping to get it started in order to drain the rad and add new antifreeze. Of course being so close to Christmas going to be hard to get a set of glowplugs ordered up.

Hmm speaking of which anyone tried http://mercedessource.com/node/2842 to ream out some of the carbon around the glowplug area? Lots of km on this engine so probably pretty messy inside.

On the subject of carbon build up - any other advice? Plan on tearing the engine apart in the spring to transplant but in the meantime if there is something that will clean the guts up i am listening.

Have seen some people swear by SEAFOAM but I have never used it. Huh

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

12-23-2012, 02:10 PM #5
Hammer an old glowplug flat into a blade and use that the plug hole

Or drill out an old glow plug and use a short drill bit, turning backwards by hand

That reamer is nice, but for the number of times you will use it $40 is ridiculous

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
12-23-2012, 02:10 PM #5

Hammer an old glowplug flat into a blade and use that the plug hole

Or drill out an old glow plug and use a short drill bit, turning backwards by hand

That reamer is nice, but for the number of times you will use it $40 is ridiculous

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

83300d
GTA2056V

12-23-2012, 07:45 PM #6
ITS ALIVE!!

Took out the freshly charged battery this afternoon and she started up. Not sure if it was the heater running under the hood all morning or the battery but it started.

Tried to drain out the rad and put some new antifreeze in but was surprised to pull out less than a gallon of antifreeze. Started looking at the cooling system and found that the thermostat was broken and sitting sideways in the housing.

Of course there isn't a part on a sunday so pulled the guts out and plugged it back into the housing to keep checking. Started it back up although it seems there is movement of the antifreeze I dont get any heat inside the cab.

QUESTION: what is the AUXILLARY COOLANT FAN for? Supplying coolant to the heater core?
83300d
12-23-2012, 07:45 PM #6

ITS ALIVE!!

Took out the freshly charged battery this afternoon and she started up. Not sure if it was the heater running under the hood all morning or the battery but it started.

Tried to drain out the rad and put some new antifreeze in but was surprised to pull out less than a gallon of antifreeze. Started looking at the cooling system and found that the thermostat was broken and sitting sideways in the housing.

Of course there isn't a part on a sunday so pulled the guts out and plugged it back into the housing to keep checking. Started it back up although it seems there is movement of the antifreeze I dont get any heat inside the cab.

QUESTION: what is the AUXILLARY COOLANT FAN for? Supplying coolant to the heater core?

aaa
GT2256V

12-23-2012, 09:57 PM #7
There should be an electric aux water pump somewhere on the firewall. Not unusual for lack of heat to just be air in the system though.
aaa
12-23-2012, 09:57 PM #7

There should be an electric aux water pump somewhere on the firewall. Not unusual for lack of heat to just be air in the system though.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average