STD Tuning Engine Exhaust silencer/muffler?

Exhaust silencer/muffler?

Exhaust silencer/muffler?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Druk
Holset

12-15-2012, 06:08 AM #1
Silencer/muffler...whatever. Big Grin

I need to decide what to put into my new system.

The background....

606.962 installed in a 107SL. Standard turbo and manifold. EGR and cat delete etc.

I've made a downpipe and married it into 2.5 inch 316 grade stainless pipe back as far as the rear of the gearbox @ centerline.

Do I need a center box (aka cherrybomb) as well as a back box and what difference, if any, would that make?

What level of exhaust noise is produced by a 606 in normal tune without any boxes?

Backbox will be custom stainless straight-through 2.5".

Appreciate your collective thoughts before I weld any more pipe.

Thanks. Smile
This post was last modified: 12-20-2012, 12:14 PM by Druk.
Druk
12-15-2012, 06:08 AM #1

Silencer/muffler...whatever. Big Grin

I need to decide what to put into my new system.

The background....

606.962 installed in a 107SL. Standard turbo and manifold. EGR and cat delete etc.

I've made a downpipe and married it into 2.5 inch 316 grade stainless pipe back as far as the rear of the gearbox @ centerline.

Do I need a center box (aka cherrybomb) as well as a back box and what difference, if any, would that make?

What level of exhaust noise is produced by a 606 in normal tune without any boxes?

Backbox will be custom stainless straight-through 2.5".

Appreciate your collective thoughts before I weld any more pipe.

Thanks. Smile

Druk
Holset

12-16-2012, 11:56 AM #2
Bump. Anyone?
Druk
12-16-2012, 11:56 AM #2

Bump. Anyone?

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

12-16-2012, 01:42 PM #3
Let the turbo whine! No box.

" straighten up that star on the grill, assholes."

lgreeley83
12-16-2012, 01:42 PM #3

Let the turbo whine! No box.

" straighten up that star on the grill, assholes."

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

12-16-2012, 03:12 PM #4
^^^Agreeed! I love the sound of a straight pipe. Drone at highway speeds bother some on our 300D's, but I honestly don't mind it.

And I don't know about an om606, I am just referencing from my om617. So take what I say for what its worth to you Big Grin

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
12-16-2012, 03:12 PM #4

^^^Agreeed! I love the sound of a straight pipe. Drone at highway speeds bother some on our 300D's, but I honestly don't mind it.

And I don't know about an om606, I am just referencing from my om617. So take what I say for what its worth to you Big Grin

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         

ronnie
GT2559V

12-16-2012, 05:35 PM #5
my experiance is with 616, and 617 both with turbos. No muffler is fine for short trips, but long distance the drone will get to me. I have just the rear muffler(box) on my well tuned and turbo'd 240 and it is about as loud as I want for long trips. I have 2 3/8" pipe from the turbo back to the muffler.
ronnie
12-16-2012, 05:35 PM #5

my experiance is with 616, and 617 both with turbos. No muffler is fine for short trips, but long distance the drone will get to me. I have just the rear muffler(box) on my well tuned and turbo'd 240 and it is about as loud as I want for long trips. I have 2 3/8" pipe from the turbo back to the muffler.

Druk
Holset

12-17-2012, 04:51 AM #6
Thanks. A straight pipe might be nice but I doubt I'd get away with that for the UK MOT test. I'm going with the rear box first then upgrade from there if it's too noisy. I agree a bit of rasp is nice on acceleration but constant droning is wearing.

Ronnie. About how big/what shape is your rear box please? Approx of course...
Druk
12-17-2012, 04:51 AM #6

Thanks. A straight pipe might be nice but I doubt I'd get away with that for the UK MOT test. I'm going with the rear box first then upgrade from there if it's too noisy. I agree a bit of rasp is nice on acceleration but constant droning is wearing.

Ronnie. About how big/what shape is your rear box please? Approx of course...

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

12-17-2012, 09:41 AM #7
I didn't mind the exhaust note with a straight 617 with both the stock garrett and a VNT. The VNT was MUCH quieter.

Getting your exhaust pipe out past the edges of the car makes a difference for noise.

From what I've read "aero turbine" brand mufflers are the meow meow

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
12-17-2012, 09:41 AM #7

I didn't mind the exhaust note with a straight 617 with both the stock garrett and a VNT. The VNT was MUCH quieter.

Getting your exhaust pipe out past the edges of the car makes a difference for noise.

From what I've read "aero turbine" brand mufflers are the meow meow

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

EDH_Performance
Holset

12-20-2012, 10:19 AM #8
On superturbo diesels you must have silencers that are straight trough type! I had one 3" muffler on my om606, the type with many chanels and it reduced the power by atleast 50-70hp! And huge turbo lag!
Changed therefor to a straight trough type, and turbo spooled faster and much more powerBig Grin
EDH_Performance
12-20-2012, 10:19 AM #8

On superturbo diesels you must have silencers that are straight trough type! I had one 3" muffler on my om606, the type with many chanels and it reduced the power by atleast 50-70hp! And huge turbo lag!
Changed therefor to a straight trough type, and turbo spooled faster and much more powerBig Grin

Druk
Holset

12-20-2012, 12:11 PM #9
Great thanks. That's eventually what I've gone for. A 2 1/2" pipe all the way from the turbo to the back box which is a 3" straight-through from a Range Rover donated by a friend. It fits exactly to the available space under the rear so that was lucky. On anothers suggestion I've left a straight removeable length in the center which can be easily replaced by a center box if the thing turns out too loud.

EDH_P ...what level/sort of noise does yours make please?
This post was last modified: 12-20-2012, 12:12 PM by Druk.
Druk
12-20-2012, 12:11 PM #9

Great thanks. That's eventually what I've gone for. A 2 1/2" pipe all the way from the turbo to the back box which is a 3" straight-through from a Range Rover donated by a friend. It fits exactly to the available space under the rear so that was lucky. On anothers suggestion I've left a straight removeable length in the center which can be easily replaced by a center box if the thing turns out too loud.

EDH_Performance
Holset

12-25-2012, 09:45 AM #10
(12-20-2012, 12:11 PM)Druk Great thanks. That's eventually what I've gone for. A 2 1/2" pipe all the way from the turbo to the back box which is a 3" straight-through from a Range Rover donated by a friend. It fits exactly to the available space under the rear so that was lucky. On anothers suggestion I've left a straight removeable length in the center which can be easily replaced by a center box if the thing turns out too loud.

With just one muffler in the rear, not the straight through type there is not any sound at all! With just one straight through there way more sound but not too.muchBig Grin
EDH_Performance
12-25-2012, 09:45 AM #10

(12-20-2012, 12:11 PM)Druk Great thanks. That's eventually what I've gone for. A 2 1/2" pipe all the way from the turbo to the back box which is a 3" straight-through from a Range Rover donated by a friend. It fits exactly to the available space under the rear so that was lucky. On anothers suggestion I've left a straight removeable length in the center which can be easily replaced by a center box if the thing turns out too loud.

With just one muffler in the rear, not the straight through type there is not any sound at all! With just one straight through there way more sound but not too.muchBig Grin

maKe-
Naturally-aspirated

12-25-2012, 10:40 AM #11
With just single free flowing muffler in the rear it does not sound that bad at least on my car, but the drone at constant speed and rpm's around 1800-2200 is pretty nasty. I think I will put a single Vibrant 3" free flow resonator in the middle section to reduce the drone.

Under boost it actually sounds pretty badass for DI 5cyl motor.
maKe-
12-25-2012, 10:40 AM #11

With just single free flowing muffler in the rear it does not sound that bad at least on my car, but the drone at constant speed and rpm's around 1800-2200 is pretty nasty. I think I will put a single Vibrant 3" free flow resonator in the middle section to reduce the drone.

Under boost it actually sounds pretty badass for DI 5cyl motor.

axel606
K26-2

12-30-2012, 04:05 PM #12
my g wagen runs a 606.962 with egr delete /pressure wastegate and the system is 61mm bore stainless with one straight thru silencer box ,it has a nice thrub on idle and goes on to a lovely burble/ then angry bellow/ finishing off sounding (ironically)like a supermarine spitfire low flyby ,in short it sounds quite by accident- beautiful...
axel606
12-30-2012, 04:05 PM #12

my g wagen runs a 606.962 with egr delete /pressure wastegate and the system is 61mm bore stainless with one straight thru silencer box ,it has a nice thrub on idle and goes on to a lovely burble/ then angry bellow/ finishing off sounding (ironically)like a supermarine spitfire low flyby ,in short it sounds quite by accident- beautiful...

Druk
Holset

12-30-2012, 06:33 PM #13
(12-30-2012, 04:05 PM)axel606 my g wagen runs a 606.962 with egr delete /pressure wastegate and the system is 61mm bore stainless with one straight thru silencer box ,it has a nice thrub on idle and goes on to a lovely burble/ then angry bellow/ finishing off sounding (ironically)like a supermarine spitfire low flyby ,in short it sounds quite by accident- beautiful...

Thank-you. That's just the set-up I'm going with. Looking forward now to my own Spitfire sound. Big Grin

Which pressure wastegate unit did you use please cos that's the next thing I'll be looking at engineering in?

Derek.
Druk
12-30-2012, 06:33 PM #13

(12-30-2012, 04:05 PM)axel606 my g wagen runs a 606.962 with egr delete /pressure wastegate and the system is 61mm bore stainless with one straight thru silencer box ,it has a nice thrub on idle and goes on to a lovely burble/ then angry bellow/ finishing off sounding (ironically)like a supermarine spitfire low flyby ,in short it sounds quite by accident- beautiful...

Thank-you. That's just the set-up I'm going with. Looking forward now to my own Spitfire sound. Big Grin

Which pressure wastegate unit did you use please cos that's the next thing I'll be looking at engineering in?

Derek.

axel606
K26-2

12-30-2012, 11:47 PM #14
my pump is a 603a with the 6mm elements from the electronic pump built into it, egr delete,and the intake plenum has had the egr valve and connections holesawed out totally and ali caps tig welded in and polished internally ,i run an iveco light truck intercooler and a 12psi pressure operated wastegate replacing the vacuum operated system i get about 200 bhp and a lot of torque the engine pushes the g wagen over 100 mph with ease something the gasser engine never could!
the wastegate actuator i used is an aftermarket garrett type ' tb2804 actuator 12psi' from www.TurboRebuild.co.uk phone in the uk 01253 813396 they were very helpful and the unit has worked well it was around £50-60 incl carriage.
despite the turbo being the o/e kkk i used a garrett unit because i had already made a bracket to use a 5 psi unit from a saab 9000 lpt car (also a garrett unit) so it would be a straight(ish) swap to upgrade , the unit i ordered is an upgrade for a nissan gtr pulsar and it came with an imperial thread on the push rod which i shortened to suit and ran a metric 6mm die nut down the thread to convert it to work with the arm already on the wastegate pivot, i then set the wastegate up and drove with my external high accuracy boost gauge to make sure all was well ,the engine steps on to boost instantly and holds 12 -13psi max (very low for this std site!!) but that is about right for the setup of factory turbo and 6mm elements giving me twice the torque/bhp with half the fuel consumption of the gasser engine (exactly what i wanted with more to come if i want)
the 606a is a monster it lights up the g wagen tyres if you want ,but can cruise you in silence when you want ,mercs finest range of engines especially for us,amazing that we can retro fit non electronic pumps and have the final evolution of twincam multivalve tech but with lever throttle and no ecu - what a motor.
This post was last modified: 12-31-2012, 12:09 AM by axel606.
axel606
12-30-2012, 11:47 PM #14

my pump is a 603a with the 6mm elements from the electronic pump built into it, egr delete,and the intake plenum has had the egr valve and connections holesawed out totally and ali caps tig welded in and polished internally ,i run an iveco light truck intercooler and a 12psi pressure operated wastegate replacing the vacuum operated system i get about 200 bhp and a lot of torque the engine pushes the g wagen over 100 mph with ease something the gasser engine never could!
the wastegate actuator i used is an aftermarket garrett type ' tb2804 actuator 12psi' from www.TurboRebuild.co.uk phone in the uk 01253 813396 they were very helpful and the unit has worked well it was around £50-60 incl carriage.
despite the turbo being the o/e kkk i used a garrett unit because i had already made a bracket to use a 5 psi unit from a saab 9000 lpt car (also a garrett unit) so it would be a straight(ish) swap to upgrade , the unit i ordered is an upgrade for a nissan gtr pulsar and it came with an imperial thread on the push rod which i shortened to suit and ran a metric 6mm die nut down the thread to convert it to work with the arm already on the wastegate pivot, i then set the wastegate up and drove with my external high accuracy boost gauge to make sure all was well ,the engine steps on to boost instantly and holds 12 -13psi max (very low for this std site!!) but that is about right for the setup of factory turbo and 6mm elements giving me twice the torque/bhp with half the fuel consumption of the gasser engine (exactly what i wanted with more to come if i want)
the 606a is a monster it lights up the g wagen tyres if you want ,but can cruise you in silence when you want ,mercs finest range of engines especially for us,amazing that we can retro fit non electronic pumps and have the final evolution of twincam multivalve tech but with lever throttle and no ecu - what a motor.

Druk
Holset

12-31-2012, 04:07 AM #15
Axel, that's been soooo helpful thank-you. You could be describing my exact engine other than I've got a 606 910 manual pump with 6mm elements.

If you're ever up north I'll be pleased to buy you a fine malt. In the meantime you have a great New Year.

ps. Once the celebrations are over I'll be back asking about the Iveco intercooler. Big Grin
Druk
12-31-2012, 04:07 AM #15

Axel, that's been soooo helpful thank-you. You could be describing my exact engine other than I've got a 606 910 manual pump with 6mm elements.

If you're ever up north I'll be pleased to buy you a fine malt. In the meantime you have a great New Year.

ps. Once the celebrations are over I'll be back asking about the Iveco intercooler. Big Grin

axel606
K26-2

12-31-2012, 09:49 AM #16
(12-31-2012, 04:07 AM)Druk Axel, that's been soooo helpful thank-you. You could be describing my exact engine other than I've got a 606 910 manual pump with 6mm elements.

thankyou , i am working in dundee from 7th thru 15th jan are you near there? i am working at camperdown on the way into dundee and staying at the broughty croft travel lodge.
the iveco intercooler is really the wrong shape for your sl you could use the original w210 e300 td one as it is rated for the engine and is sort of the right shape for the front of the sl you will have to build it into the lower front valance where the i/c is on the e class,otherwise there are many types available every shape/thickness/ratings/input /output pipe sizes/configurations you will have to be creative in how you route the pipes and hoses on the sl -very satisfying though
axel606
12-31-2012, 09:49 AM #16

(12-31-2012, 04:07 AM)Druk Axel, that's been soooo helpful thank-you. You could be describing my exact engine other than I've got a 606 910 manual pump with 6mm elements.

thankyou , i am working in dundee from 7th thru 15th jan are you near there? i am working at camperdown on the way into dundee and staying at the broughty croft travel lodge.
the iveco intercooler is really the wrong shape for your sl you could use the original w210 e300 td one as it is rated for the engine and is sort of the right shape for the front of the sl you will have to build it into the lower front valance where the i/c is on the e class,otherwise there are many types available every shape/thickness/ratings/input /output pipe sizes/configurations you will have to be creative in how you route the pipes and hoses on the sl -very satisfying though

Druk
Holset

01-05-2013, 10:44 AM #17
Celebrations over...

Sent you a PM axel.

The 210 intercooler is too wide for my application. I've already got the 107 engine oilcooler mounted below the Xmember so that's out and the long plastic intake pipes of the 210 I/C foul the sides of the engine bay when it's mounted in front of the rad. There's plenty room there to route the pipes though.

This post was last modified: 01-05-2013, 10:45 AM by Druk.
Druk
01-05-2013, 10:44 AM #17

Celebrations over...

Sent you a PM axel.

The 210 intercooler is too wide for my application. I've already got the 107 engine oilcooler mounted below the Xmember so that's out and the long plastic intake pipes of the 210 I/C foul the sides of the engine bay when it's mounted in front of the rad. There's plenty room there to route the pipes though.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average