STD Maintenance General loud clatter or knock at cold temp

loud clatter or knock at cold temp

loud clatter or knock at cold temp

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DirtDiesel
K26-2

12-10-2012, 03:29 AM #1
so i got stuck the other day. i had the little girl floor bound and high reved a bit. the day after that i go to start it and it makes a terrible noise until shes warm. performance doesnt seem to have changed. when i give a little rev it seems to quiet a little and when its warm its like it never happened. thoughts?

LiL Micky
DirtDiesel
12-10-2012, 03:29 AM #1

so i got stuck the other day. i had the little girl floor bound and high reved a bit. the day after that i go to start it and it makes a terrible noise until shes warm. performance doesnt seem to have changed. when i give a little rev it seems to quiet a little and when its warm its like it never happened. thoughts?

LiL Micky

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

12-10-2012, 07:22 AM #2
Injectors that aren't operating properly or an IP timing issue. Since it goes away when warm I'm leaning toward the injectors

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
12-10-2012, 07:22 AM #2

Injectors that aren't operating properly or an IP timing issue. Since it goes away when warm I'm leaning toward the injectors

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

DirtDiesel
K26-2

12-10-2012, 02:03 PM #3
so if it is the injectors does greazzer or anybody do larger injectors for more fuel delivery?

also does this render my car inoperable
This post was last modified: 12-10-2012, 02:16 PM by DirtDiesel.

LiL Micky
DirtDiesel
12-10-2012, 02:03 PM #3

so if it is the injectors does greazzer or anybody do larger injectors for more fuel delivery?

also does this render my car inoperable

LiL Micky

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

12-10-2012, 02:32 PM #4
As far as I know there aren't really any larger nozzles available. if you want more fuel you need to look into the pump, but greazzer/om616 are the guys to answer that one

I don't think it should strand you, just let it warm up before driving under a load.

Simpler=Better
12-10-2012, 02:32 PM #4

As far as I know there aren't really any larger nozzles available. if you want more fuel you need to look into the pump, but greazzer/om616 are the guys to answer that one

I don't think it should strand you, just let it warm up before driving under a load.

DirtDiesel
K26-2

12-10-2012, 03:25 PM #5
thanks for your quick response. are nozzles something a machine shop could open up by just a tiny? i will be turning up my pump as soon as i can get some gauges and build me some relocation plates for my oil filter. i just figured it would be nice if i have to replace them to look at the oppurtunity of getting slightly larger ones while i have these ones out.

LiL Micky
DirtDiesel
12-10-2012, 03:25 PM #5

thanks for your quick response. are nozzles something a machine shop could open up by just a tiny? i will be turning up my pump as soon as i can get some gauges and build me some relocation plates for my oil filter. i just figured it would be nice if i have to replace them to look at the oppurtunity of getting slightly larger ones while i have these ones out.

LiL Micky

Torkey
Dirty Diesel

12-10-2012, 05:48 PM #6
(12-10-2012, 03:25 PM)DirtDiesel thanks for your quick response. are nozzles something a machine shop could open up by just a tiny? i will be turning up my pump as soon as i can get some gauges and build me some relocation plates for my oil filter. i just figured it would be nice if i have to replace them to look at the oppurtunity of getting slightly larger ones while i have these ones out.
Some diesel shops can hone the injectors to increase the amount of fuel.
https://www.dynomitediesel.com/Technolog...fault.aspx
Torkey
12-10-2012, 05:48 PM #6

(12-10-2012, 03:25 PM)DirtDiesel thanks for your quick response. are nozzles something a machine shop could open up by just a tiny? i will be turning up my pump as soon as i can get some gauges and build me some relocation plates for my oil filter. i just figured it would be nice if i have to replace them to look at the oppurtunity of getting slightly larger ones while i have these ones out.
Some diesel shops can hone the injectors to increase the amount of fuel.
https://www.dynomitediesel.com/Technolog...fault.aspx

DirtDiesel
K26-2

12-11-2012, 01:05 AM #7
is it correct to say our injectors have only one orifice on the tip pointing straight out? the website says that the honing has so much better spacing than the edm. but with a single orifice that wouldnt matter. please correct me if im speaking madness but is drilling a hole that a few thou oversized too crude of a process with very fine sandpaper i would imagine somebody could do a pretty decent job of removing burrs. but maybe theres something to this science i am missing. but it seems pretty simple to be able to chuck up in a lathe and center it. thoughts?

LiL Micky
DirtDiesel
12-11-2012, 01:05 AM #7

is it correct to say our injectors have only one orifice on the tip pointing straight out? the website says that the honing has so much better spacing than the edm. but with a single orifice that wouldnt matter. please correct me if im speaking madness but is drilling a hole that a few thou oversized too crude of a process with very fine sandpaper i would imagine somebody could do a pretty decent job of removing burrs. but maybe theres something to this science i am missing. but it seems pretty simple to be able to chuck up in a lathe and center it. thoughts?

LiL Micky

larsalan
Superturbo

12-11-2012, 01:32 AM #8
it is sounding like madness to me. It is sounding as if you havent laid eyes on an injector. The pintle or tip or whatever is like the size of a tiny needle.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
12-11-2012, 01:32 AM #8

it is sounding like madness to me. It is sounding as if you havent laid eyes on an injector. The pintle or tip or whatever is like the size of a tiny needle.

DirtDiesel
K26-2

12-11-2012, 02:27 AM #9
any idea on the size exactly?

LiL Micky
DirtDiesel
12-11-2012, 02:27 AM #9

any idea on the size exactly?

LiL Micky

larsalan
Superturbo

12-11-2012, 02:47 AM #10
I dunno. Someone can give you the exact spec. I think it is like you can barely see the hole with your eyes. As in no magnifying glass. I have no idea how you could reasonably modify 5 of them to an equal amount.

best start to modify the pump. Push more fuel to them harder or whatever. There is a whole thread on that.
This post was last modified: 12-11-2012, 02:48 AM by larsalan.

larsalan
12-11-2012, 02:47 AM #10

I dunno. Someone can give you the exact spec. I think it is like you can barely see the hole with your eyes. As in no magnifying glass. I have no idea how you could reasonably modify 5 of them to an equal amount.

best start to modify the pump. Push more fuel to them harder or whatever. There is a whole thread on that.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

12-11-2012, 09:15 AM #11
(12-11-2012, 01:05 AM)DirtDiesel is it correct to say our injectors have only one orifice on the tip pointing straight out? the website says that the honing has so much better spacing than the edm. but with a single orifice that wouldnt matter. please correct me if im speaking madness but is drilling a hole that a few thou oversized too crude of a process with very fine sandpaper i would imagine somebody could do a pretty decent job of removing burrs. but maybe theres something to this science i am missing. but it seems pretty simple to be able to chuck up in a lathe and center it. thoughts?

I understand where you're coming from (I'm willing to bet you have modified carb jets before) but like larsalan said the injector is a bit too small/ precise to be modified at home reliably.

Simpler=Better
12-11-2012, 09:15 AM #11

(12-11-2012, 01:05 AM)DirtDiesel is it correct to say our injectors have only one orifice on the tip pointing straight out? the website says that the honing has so much better spacing than the edm. but with a single orifice that wouldnt matter. please correct me if im speaking madness but is drilling a hole that a few thou oversized too crude of a process with very fine sandpaper i would imagine somebody could do a pretty decent job of removing burrs. but maybe theres something to this science i am missing. but it seems pretty simple to be able to chuck up in a lathe and center it. thoughts?

I understand where you're coming from (I'm willing to bet you have modified carb jets before) but like larsalan said the injector is a bit too small/ precise to be modified at home reliably.

DirtDiesel
K26-2

12-11-2012, 01:20 PM #12
this will be done in a machine shop. what im getting at is if somebody cant drill it then how did they do it on the websit torkey listed?

LiL Micky
DirtDiesel
12-11-2012, 01:20 PM #12

this will be done in a machine shop. what im getting at is if somebody cant drill it then how did they do it on the websit torkey listed?

LiL Micky

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

12-11-2012, 01:38 PM #13
Those are multi-hole injectors. The 617 uses a single hole nozzles with a pintle in it.

You can probably get them extrude honed (they push a fine grit abrasive through the injector)

Can't make claims either way for power gains

Simpler=Better
12-11-2012, 01:38 PM #13

Those are multi-hole injectors. The 617 uses a single hole nozzles with a pintle in it.

You can probably get them extrude honed (they push a fine grit abrasive through the injector)

Can't make claims either way for power gains

JustPassinThru
W123 and W124

12-11-2012, 01:45 PM #14
I just had this identical symptom start on my '83 300D, immediately upon swapping-in a set of 5 used injectors. They are not rebuilt, just tested for pop pressure, and for no leakage, and checked to see good spray patterns. All five pop a little high, around 2050-2075 and one at 2100 psi. Could it be,...that the 2100 psi one is popping late enough that when the engine is cold the exhaust valve starts to open before the fuel charge is finished exploding? I don't know when the last valve adjustment was --possibly not in the last 75,000 miles. I'll adjust the valves later this week and see what happens. Sounds like it's knocking near the front of the engine, but I did not write down which injector I installed in which cylinder.

Gone but not forgotten: two W123 sedans and two W124 wagons.
W124 1987 300TD wagon, for sale, $1000 (some assembly required).
JustPassinThru
12-11-2012, 01:45 PM #14

I just had this identical symptom start on my '83 300D, immediately upon swapping-in a set of 5 used injectors. They are not rebuilt, just tested for pop pressure, and for no leakage, and checked to see good spray patterns. All five pop a little high, around 2050-2075 and one at 2100 psi. Could it be,...that the 2100 psi one is popping late enough that when the engine is cold the exhaust valve starts to open before the fuel charge is finished exploding? I don't know when the last valve adjustment was --possibly not in the last 75,000 miles. I'll adjust the valves later this week and see what happens. Sounds like it's knocking near the front of the engine, but I did not write down which injector I installed in which cylinder.

Gone but not forgotten: two W123 sedans and two W124 wagons.
W124 1987 300TD wagon, for sale, $1000 (some assembly required).

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average