STD Tuning Engine obtaining a turbo 617 for swap

obtaining a turbo 617 for swap

obtaining a turbo 617 for swap

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

shredator
ridiculous snail orgy of power

06-07-2009, 01:41 AM #1
Hello,
id like to swap a turbo 5 cyl into my '83 240d 4sp. im assuming that a junkyard would be the easiest place to obtain an engine from. But I dont really know what to look for. Are there any telltale signs of abuse or failure that I should be on the lookout for? Any particular things to check before hauling it off? and what is a fair price for one of these engines? anyone know of good sources for rebuild parts?

Also, a question for those that have driven both the 4cyl and the 5 cyl: is the 5 cyl significantly smoother/quieter than the 4? one of my biggest complaints about the car (besides the lack of power) is the racket from the engine. But if the 5 cyl is not significantly better, I may rethink the swap and try to add a turbo to my current engine, and continue wearing my earplugsRolleyes
thanks! great forum you all have here!
-Kalen
shredator
06-07-2009, 01:41 AM #1

Hello,
id like to swap a turbo 5 cyl into my '83 240d 4sp. im assuming that a junkyard would be the easiest place to obtain an engine from. But I dont really know what to look for. Are there any telltale signs of abuse or failure that I should be on the lookout for? Any particular things to check before hauling it off? and what is a fair price for one of these engines? anyone know of good sources for rebuild parts?

Also, a question for those that have driven both the 4cyl and the 5 cyl: is the 5 cyl significantly smoother/quieter than the 4? one of my biggest complaints about the car (besides the lack of power) is the racket from the engine. But if the 5 cyl is not significantly better, I may rethink the swap and try to add a turbo to my current engine, and continue wearing my earplugsRolleyes
thanks! great forum you all have here!
-Kalen

winmutt
bitbanger

06-08-2009, 10:56 AM #2
Compression check. Check the lobes on the cam. You will need new springs in the front.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
06-08-2009, 10:56 AM #2

Compression check. Check the lobes on the cam. You will need new springs in the front.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42

shredator

06-12-2009, 05:50 PM #3
Thanks for the tip
anyone else have any other things to watch out for? I remember from the car craft articles that I used to read in high school about how to score a good junkyard engine of a particular make, that there were often certain things to watch out for: like "check this area because cracks are likely to form here" or "oil leaks from here are no big deal" or "avoid casting numbers 1230003 to 1234844" Are all turbo 617's the same or are there certain ones to avoid?

also, has anyone found the limits on the amount of power that the stock bottom end can handle? I read somewhere that the "green supercharged 300td" didnt last very long. Does anyone know the circumstances surrounding that car? did the engine fail? how much power did it make?

Thanks
shredator
06-12-2009, 05:50 PM #3

Thanks for the tip
anyone else have any other things to watch out for? I remember from the car craft articles that I used to read in high school about how to score a good junkyard engine of a particular make, that there were often certain things to watch out for: like "check this area because cracks are likely to form here" or "oil leaks from here are no big deal" or "avoid casting numbers 1230003 to 1234844" Are all turbo 617's the same or are there certain ones to avoid?

also, has anyone found the limits on the amount of power that the stock bottom end can handle? I read somewhere that the "green supercharged 300td" didnt last very long. Does anyone know the circumstances surrounding that car? did the engine fail? how much power did it make?

Thanks

winmutt
bitbanger

06-12-2009, 08:13 PM #4
(06-12-2009, 05:50 PM)shredator Thanks for the tip

Thanks

Those must be American cars you're talking about. No such issues with OM617. Supercharged and turboed, I can only imagine it had issues.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42
winmutt
06-12-2009, 08:13 PM #4

(06-12-2009, 05:50 PM)shredator Thanks for the tip

Thanks

Those must be American cars you're talking about. No such issues with OM617. Supercharged and turboed, I can only imagine it had issues.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42

Gross Polluter
K26-2

06-14-2009, 02:50 AM #5
If you're pulling one out of a yard, I highly suggest removing the head. The first engine I pulled "looked" good on the outside. I brought it home, started it on the stand and ran fine. The engine, however, puked coolant and had less than ideal leakdown numbers. The head was craked and the flame ring on the head gasket was burnt out between cylinders 4-5. This engine had been overheated and that's probably why it was in the yard. #4 piston had chips on the face and a deformed prechamber on the head. I can only assume that was caused by carbon buildup on the piston. Water sat for some time in #4 cylinder and had a large sections corroded out of the cylinder sleeve. I would not even feel comfortable putting another head on that motor, there was nothing good about it.

Regardless, for $150 I figured I'd get another motor instead of correcting the issues mine had. Last time I went down to the yard I started pulling heads and found that not one single motor was "good". One engine had a bolt go through it, leaving a hole in the piston. Another engine had chunks missing out of the edge of the piston, much like detonation damage on a gas motor. Another motor had a freshly rebuilt head and bottom end. The cylinders had a good hone, the head clean as a whistle. The bottom end was siezed. At least the head was good so I grabbed that. I'm still on the hunt for a good bottom end.

The entire point is there's a reason these cars are in the junk yards. Given the reliability of these engines, if the cars in the yard aren't in a serious wreck then they're more than likely there for mechanical issues. People in SoCal drive these cars in to the ground. Junk yard motors are hard to come by in good shape (down here at least.) I'm glad I've taken the heads off the engines that I have otherwise I'd be in the same postion all over again.
Gross Polluter
06-14-2009, 02:50 AM #5

If you're pulling one out of a yard, I highly suggest removing the head. The first engine I pulled "looked" good on the outside. I brought it home, started it on the stand and ran fine. The engine, however, puked coolant and had less than ideal leakdown numbers. The head was craked and the flame ring on the head gasket was burnt out between cylinders 4-5. This engine had been overheated and that's probably why it was in the yard. #4 piston had chips on the face and a deformed prechamber on the head. I can only assume that was caused by carbon buildup on the piston. Water sat for some time in #4 cylinder and had a large sections corroded out of the cylinder sleeve. I would not even feel comfortable putting another head on that motor, there was nothing good about it.

Regardless, for $150 I figured I'd get another motor instead of correcting the issues mine had. Last time I went down to the yard I started pulling heads and found that not one single motor was "good". One engine had a bolt go through it, leaving a hole in the piston. Another engine had chunks missing out of the edge of the piston, much like detonation damage on a gas motor. Another motor had a freshly rebuilt head and bottom end. The cylinders had a good hone, the head clean as a whistle. The bottom end was siezed. At least the head was good so I grabbed that. I'm still on the hunt for a good bottom end.

The entire point is there's a reason these cars are in the junk yards. Given the reliability of these engines, if the cars in the yard aren't in a serious wreck then they're more than likely there for mechanical issues. People in SoCal drive these cars in to the ground. Junk yard motors are hard to come by in good shape (down here at least.) I'm glad I've taken the heads off the engines that I have otherwise I'd be in the same postion all over again.

shredator

06-15-2009, 12:10 AM #6
sorry to hear about your misfortunes, but thanks for sharing the experience. Ill plan on pulling the head before i buy anything
shredator
06-15-2009, 12:10 AM #6

sorry to hear about your misfortunes, but thanks for sharing the experience. Ill plan on pulling the head before i buy anything

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average