STD Tuning Engine Removing OM606 from car

Removing OM606 from car

Removing OM606 from car

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TheDon
606 Power!!

11-09-2012, 08:32 PM #1
I am going to pull an OM606 from a car I found and take it home. I have the PDF on removing the engine but I have some questions hopefully you all can ask before I go pull it Sunday.

How do I put the transmission in neutral if the car has no key or battery?

Do I need the glow plug relay from the car its coming out of?

Should I grab the intercooler from the car?

What type of bolt will I need to mount it on an engine stand (thread and length of bolt)?

What will be neccessary for the engine to bolt into my '87 300D?

How can I test to see if the engine is healthy (once out of the car and home)?

any other info you may think of will be useful so go ahead and give me whatever info you have. Thanks
This post was last modified: 11-09-2012, 09:09 PM by TheDon.
TheDon
11-09-2012, 08:32 PM #1

I am going to pull an OM606 from a car I found and take it home. I have the PDF on removing the engine but I have some questions hopefully you all can ask before I go pull it Sunday.

How do I put the transmission in neutral if the car has no key or battery?

Do I need the glow plug relay from the car its coming out of?

Should I grab the intercooler from the car?

What type of bolt will I need to mount it on an engine stand (thread and length of bolt)?

What will be neccessary for the engine to bolt into my '87 300D?

How can I test to see if the engine is healthy (once out of the car and home)?

any other info you may think of will be useful so go ahead and give me whatever info you have. Thanks

aaa
GT2256V

11-10-2012, 02:36 AM #2
Huh, that's an interesting problem, the neutral thing. Pretty sure you'll need a battery, at my JY they wouldn't let you bring one officially but they had a dude with one. There might be a bypass slot/lever to get around the key thing, but that's also electronic.

The intercooler won't fit in a w124 as is, whether you want to make it fit (cut up the bumper etc) is up to you. Personally if I had to fab things regardless I'd go for a different intercooler.

Also you'll have to deal with the oil pan interfering with the swaybar and possibly different oil cooler lines. Maybe an e420 swaybar would work.
aaa
11-10-2012, 02:36 AM #2

Huh, that's an interesting problem, the neutral thing. Pretty sure you'll need a battery, at my JY they wouldn't let you bring one officially but they had a dude with one. There might be a bypass slot/lever to get around the key thing, but that's also electronic.

The intercooler won't fit in a w124 as is, whether you want to make it fit (cut up the bumper etc) is up to you. Personally if I had to fab things regardless I'd go for a different intercooler.

Also you'll have to deal with the oil pan interfering with the swaybar and possibly different oil cooler lines. Maybe an e420 swaybar would work.

TheDon
606 Power!!

11-10-2012, 06:09 AM #3
Someone did this swap over on BW. Requires 603 oil pan an oil pan pump. Im going back today to look it some more. what size is the crank bolt? I want to turn it over by hand or should I not since it has no oil in it.

I think if I detach the shift lever from the transmission that would bypass the shift interlock. I think

Really need to know the bolt type I will need to put it on a stand.
This post was last modified: 11-10-2012, 06:20 AM by TheDon.
TheDon
11-10-2012, 06:09 AM #3

Someone did this swap over on BW. Requires 603 oil pan an oil pan pump. Im going back today to look it some more. what size is the crank bolt? I want to turn it over by hand or should I not since it has no oil in it.

I think if I detach the shift lever from the transmission that would bypass the shift interlock. I think

Really need to know the bolt type I will need to put it on a stand.

aaa
GT2256V

11-10-2012, 09:48 AM #4
27mm. Definitely try turning it, the lack of oil doesn't matter (why does it not have oil?).

Here's how the linkage and brake interlock work:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/37436253/722-6#outer_page_12

I would just take the bellhousing bolts with the engine, then you can match it up to longer ones for the stand (they're not long enough for a stand as is).
aaa
11-10-2012, 09:48 AM #4

27mm. Definitely try turning it, the lack of oil doesn't matter (why does it not have oil?).

Here's how the linkage and brake interlock work:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/37436253/722-6#outer_page_12

I would just take the bellhousing bolts with the engine, then you can match it up to longer ones for the stand (they're not long enough for a stand as is).

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

11-10-2012, 10:40 AM #5
Question is why would you even need to put it in neutral if you are just taking out the engine? If you can turn the motor over, you have full access to the TC bolts. Even if you can't remove all the TC bolts, you can pull the motor with it attached. You just need a Sawzall to cut the front radiator support for more clearance going forward.

Anyways, you should be able to pop out the linkage from the shifter that leads to the selector arm on the trans. That should allow you to bypass the lock.

Regarding if the engine is healthy, first step is to make sure it turns over by hand nicely. If there is any sharp hang ups, not compression induced- which is a very good thing, then you'll need to investigate more to see what is broken. Also pull the valve cover to see if there is any evidence of coolant leaks perhaps from a blown head gasket and to check on any visible moving parts condition.

Good luck and have fun pulling that engine.

This post was last modified: 11-10-2012, 11:38 AM by DeliveryValve.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
11-10-2012, 10:40 AM #5

Question is why would you even need to put it in neutral if you are just taking out the engine? If you can turn the motor over, you have full access to the TC bolts. Even if you can't remove all the TC bolts, you can pull the motor with it attached. You just need a Sawzall to cut the front radiator support for more clearance going forward.

Anyways, you should be able to pop out the linkage from the shifter that leads to the selector arm on the trans. That should allow you to bypass the lock.

Regarding if the engine is healthy, first step is to make sure it turns over by hand nicely. If there is any sharp hang ups, not compression induced- which is a very good thing, then you'll need to investigate more to see what is broken. Also pull the valve cover to see if there is any evidence of coolant leaks perhaps from a blown head gasket and to check on any visible moving parts condition.

Good luck and have fun pulling that engine.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

TheDon
606 Power!!

11-10-2012, 01:54 PM #6
Front radiator support un bolts. Need the transmission in neutral to remove the drive shaft.
TheDon
11-10-2012, 01:54 PM #6

Front radiator support un bolts. Need the transmission in neutral to remove the drive shaft.

erling66
SuperDieselVan

11-11-2012, 04:43 AM #7
(11-10-2012, 01:54 PM)TheDon Front radiator support un bolts. Need the transmission in neutral to remove the drive shaft.

To put the transmission in neutral is easySmile When you are under the car to unbolt the drive shaft, you just take off the linkage from the shifter and you can shift gears by your hand.
Why worry so much about the condition of the engine? The 606 is maybe the best engine Mercedes have made and they are almost always good. I have had many of them and all of them were good except one that was hydrolocked (the guy drove into a flooded roadConfused)

HuhCoolTongue
erling66
11-11-2012, 04:43 AM #7

(11-10-2012, 01:54 PM)TheDon Front radiator support un bolts. Need the transmission in neutral to remove the drive shaft.

To put the transmission in neutral is easySmile When you are under the car to unbolt the drive shaft, you just take off the linkage from the shifter and you can shift gears by your hand.
Why worry so much about the condition of the engine? The 606 is maybe the best engine Mercedes have made and they are almost always good. I have had many of them and all of them were good except one that was hydrolocked (the guy drove into a flooded roadConfused)

HuhCoolTongue

Spaceraver
K26-2

11-19-2012, 06:37 AM #8
Though You haven't said what car you are pulling it from, I'm guessing it's a W124.
To put the car in neutral, remove the boot of the shifter inside the car, there is a clip you can bypass by pressing with a screwdriver. Otherwise press the brake pedal and removing the trim around and below the lock cylinder, pull that cable too to put it in neutral. Those are the normal ways to do it, but removing the shifter linkage works better if you have access.

I wouldn't mind getting an STD..Tongue
Spaceraver
11-19-2012, 06:37 AM #8

Though You haven't said what car you are pulling it from, I'm guessing it's a W124.
To put the car in neutral, remove the boot of the shifter inside the car, there is a clip you can bypass by pressing with a screwdriver. Otherwise press the brake pedal and removing the trim around and below the lock cylinder, pull that cable too to put it in neutral. Those are the normal ways to do it, but removing the shifter linkage works better if you have access.

I wouldn't mind getting an STD..Tongue

TheDon
606 Power!!

11-21-2012, 08:48 PM #9
It's coming out of an E300 , W210. I figured all of the stuff now. I found the cable that goes into the transmission for the shift interlock. Removed the cable and shoved a screw driver in it to defeat the interlock and viola..

I'll tell you the junk yard that has this engine has been a pain. I went to go pull it last week and I saw the car next to the crusher area. The guy at the window said the engine was gone. A friend goes to the yard today and sees the car in the regular lot with the other german cars and the engine is there. So I will be there bright and early Friday to pull it. Plus its now sitting in the normal yard which means the price is normal. It was in the premium paddock which meant 2x for the price.
I cannot wait to get it!
TheDon
11-21-2012, 08:48 PM #9

It's coming out of an E300 , W210. I figured all of the stuff now. I found the cable that goes into the transmission for the shift interlock. Removed the cable and shoved a screw driver in it to defeat the interlock and viola..

I'll tell you the junk yard that has this engine has been a pain. I went to go pull it last week and I saw the car next to the crusher area. The guy at the window said the engine was gone. A friend goes to the yard today and sees the car in the regular lot with the other german cars and the engine is there. So I will be there bright and early Friday to pull it. Plus its now sitting in the normal yard which means the price is normal. It was in the premium paddock which meant 2x for the price.
I cannot wait to get it!

300SD81
GT2559V

11-21-2012, 09:06 PM #10
Any chance its got a good 722.6 in it? I might be up for a drive down to florida for onw.

Ich liebe meine Autos!

1981 Mercedes-Benz 300SD | 156K Miles | 2nd Owner | EGR Disabled [Removal Pending] | ALDA Removed | Straight Pipes | GT2256V??? | Laser Interceptor | Engine swap over summer, hopefully with GT2256V attached...

1981 Mercedes-Benz 300SD | Odo Stopped at 160K (at least 50K more) | EGR Disabled | ALDA All The Way Out | Straight pipes | FM-870 Remote Start Alarm System | B100 Biodiesel | AC Fixed x2 | Trunk crushed in Sad | Retired to garage.

Excessive speeding? It ain't excessive till I redline!
300SD81
11-21-2012, 09:06 PM #10

Any chance its got a good 722.6 in it? I might be up for a drive down to florida for onw.

Ich liebe meine Autos!

1981 Mercedes-Benz 300SD | 156K Miles | 2nd Owner | EGR Disabled [Removal Pending] | ALDA Removed | Straight Pipes | GT2256V??? | Laser Interceptor | Engine swap over summer, hopefully with GT2256V attached...

1981 Mercedes-Benz 300SD | Odo Stopped at 160K (at least 50K more) | EGR Disabled | ALDA All The Way Out | Straight pipes | FM-870 Remote Start Alarm System | B100 Biodiesel | AC Fixed x2 | Trunk crushed in Sad | Retired to garage.

Excessive speeding? It ain't excessive till I redline!

TheDon
606 Power!!

11-22-2012, 12:12 AM #11
(11-21-2012, 09:06 PM)300SD81 Any chance its got a good 722.6 in it? I might be up for a drive down to florida for onw.

no idea? I am going ot leave the transmission in the trunk of the car.

When I get the engine out and unbolt the transmission from the engine is there anything else I need to take care of to split the two? What about the torque converter?

I might try and just unbolt the torque converter and hopefully I have enough length in extentions to reach all of the bolts on the transmission and I'll do it that way
This post was last modified: 11-22-2012, 12:18 AM by TheDon.
TheDon
11-22-2012, 12:12 AM #11

(11-21-2012, 09:06 PM)300SD81 Any chance its got a good 722.6 in it? I might be up for a drive down to florida for onw.

no idea? I am going ot leave the transmission in the trunk of the car.

When I get the engine out and unbolt the transmission from the engine is there anything else I need to take care of to split the two? What about the torque converter?

I might try and just unbolt the torque converter and hopefully I have enough length in extentions to reach all of the bolts on the transmission and I'll do it that way

maxypriest
Holset

05-06-2014, 08:22 AM #12
I’m currently pulling a 606 out of a w210 and what a gypsy of a job it is too! Flaming 16mm bell housing bolts in all kit of awkward places. Have ended stripping exhaust/turbo, AC, Intake, rads, intercooler etc off to make as easy as possible.

And talk about components! Under the bonnets there is so much junk! ECU’s, and plumbing… I’ve never seen so much plumbing before.

W124 om606 HX40 finished and it's a beauty 450bhp/456ft-lbs
maxypriest
05-06-2014, 08:22 AM #12

I’m currently pulling a 606 out of a w210 and what a gypsy of a job it is too! Flaming 16mm bell housing bolts in all kit of awkward places. Have ended stripping exhaust/turbo, AC, Intake, rads, intercooler etc off to make as easy as possible.

And talk about components! Under the bonnets there is so much junk! ECU’s, and plumbing… I’ve never seen so much plumbing before.

hooblah
Holset

05-06-2014, 07:20 PM #13
(05-06-2014, 08:22 AM)maxypriest I’m currently pulling a 606 out of a w210 and what a gypsy of a job it is too! Flaming 16mm bell housing bolts in all kit of awkward places. Have ended stripping exhaust/turbo, AC, Intake, rads, intercooler etc off to make as easy as possible.

Whaaaat?! I pulled mine out just fine!

Unbolt engine and gearbox mounts. Unbolt prop. Disconnect any pipes and wiring. Chop the middle out of the crash bar and lift the whole lot out in one go!

[Image: 2013-09-24123642_zps89f80713.jpg]
This post was last modified: 05-06-2014, 07:25 PM by hooblah.
hooblah
05-06-2014, 07:20 PM #13

(05-06-2014, 08:22 AM)maxypriest I’m currently pulling a 606 out of a w210 and what a gypsy of a job it is too! Flaming 16mm bell housing bolts in all kit of awkward places. Have ended stripping exhaust/turbo, AC, Intake, rads, intercooler etc off to make as easy as possible.

Whaaaat?! I pulled mine out just fine!

Unbolt engine and gearbox mounts. Unbolt prop. Disconnect any pipes and wiring. Chop the middle out of the crash bar and lift the whole lot out in one go!

[Image: 2013-09-24123642_zps89f80713.jpg]

pryantcc
TA 0301

05-08-2014, 05:06 PM #14
^^^ +1
I had no issues with mine either, sure, lots of pipes, but all accessible. I didn't even cut the front of my W210, everything lifted out over it.

1992 W201 190D 2.0L and 1971 W108 280SE with OM606, electronic pump and 6 speed manual gearbox.
pryantcc
05-08-2014, 05:06 PM #14

^^^ +1
I had no issues with mine either, sure, lots of pipes, but all accessible. I didn't even cut the front of my W210, everything lifted out over it.

1992 W201 190D 2.0L and 1971 W108 280SE with OM606, electronic pump and 6 speed manual gearbox.

maxypriest
Holset

05-10-2014, 02:09 PM #15
I got it out this afternoon, I make life difficult, needed to leave transmission in and did it on a gravel drive. Some of the bolts were swines. Anyway it's already wearing kkd/hx40 etc too see how it looks, and it looks great. Hopefully it will go like the clappers.

maxypriest
05-10-2014, 02:09 PM #15

I got it out this afternoon, I make life difficult, needed to leave transmission in and did it on a gravel drive. Some of the bolts were swines. Anyway it's already wearing kkd/hx40 etc too see how it looks, and it looks great. Hopefully it will go like the clappers.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average