STD Other Projects 83 300sd

83 300sd

83 300sd

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

lpumb3
617 300sd

11-07-2012, 08:31 AM #1
Ok , So i Picked up a 1983 300 sd with 127k at the end of july . i traded my truck 84c20 6.2d , and my 82 kz750 . i should a kept the bike Sad But seeing as i couldnt even hold it up anymore , i threw it in .
so i fell into the Benz via tragedy , ok
didn't look to bad the guy try ed a spray job , but got lazy and sloppy . as Ive pulled off the trim , you can see he just gave up on one side Smile.
i have found the tin worm but , not that bad in the important areas.
i t ran well enough ,and didn't stop , literally once or twice .
leaks every where , good stuff my kinda car .

im just gonna list th STUFF IVE DONE SO FAR .
vacume lines (engine bay) sorted routed and replaced . no egr , changed around the restricts to my shifting likes .
brakes front to back , new lines , calipers , rotors,master etc , only thing not replace is the pedal and the booster.
Next time ill use copper
fuel tank removed , pressure washed and cleaned , new filters and lines all, doing purge today .. .clean clean clean .
lpumb3
11-07-2012, 08:31 AM #1

Ok , So i Picked up a 1983 300 sd with 127k at the end of july . i traded my truck 84c20 6.2d , and my 82 kz750 . i should a kept the bike Sad But seeing as i couldnt even hold it up anymore , i threw it in .
so i fell into the Benz via tragedy , ok
didn't look to bad the guy try ed a spray job , but got lazy and sloppy . as Ive pulled off the trim , you can see he just gave up on one side Smile.
i have found the tin worm but , not that bad in the important areas.
i t ran well enough ,and didn't stop , literally once or twice .
leaks every where , good stuff my kinda car .

im just gonna list th STUFF IVE DONE SO FAR .
vacume lines (engine bay) sorted routed and replaced . no egr , changed around the restricts to my shifting likes .
brakes front to back , new lines , calipers , rotors,master etc , only thing not replace is the pedal and the booster.
Next time ill use copper
fuel tank removed , pressure washed and cleaned , new filters and lines all, doing purge today .. .clean clean clean .

lpumb3
617 300sd

11-07-2012, 09:40 AM #2
damn its getting cold out here
lpumb3
11-07-2012, 09:40 AM #2

damn its getting cold out here

larsalan
Superturbo

11-07-2012, 10:49 AM #3
you are working outdoors? Sometimes I run the motor and then can warm my hands and toes at the exhaust pipe Wink

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
11-07-2012, 10:49 AM #3

you are working outdoors? Sometimes I run the motor and then can warm my hands and toes at the exhaust pipe Wink

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

11-07-2012, 12:36 PM #4
Glad you've got a diesel, but damn man always keep the bike-you need backup wheels!

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
11-07-2012, 12:36 PM #4

Glad you've got a diesel, but damn man always keep the bike-you need backup wheels!

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

lpumb3
617 300sd

11-08-2012, 08:08 PM #5
yeah im out doors . Cant run the engine with no fuel , tank or lines Smile . i was going to build a make shift car port off the back but i have a head to toe insulated suit ! i used to climb in -negative degrees .
as far as the bike , i literally couldn't ride it anymore . i had a bad accident at work basically broke the left side of my body after a 70ft +/- fall . so looking at the bike was bumming me out . after i do some more PT maybe by summer ill be able to hold a bike with the bad side ? hopefully
anyway
all lines and filters replaced tank, pre, and main, purge done , runs much better . i also removed the ALDA . but i did this when the car was on jack stands so i cant say the difference to much without it . . but im not seeing the crazy smoke most people do when its removed . eh
oh , had a 2 1/2 inch exhaust with a cherry bomb installed , from the down pipe back . not loud at all .
next up valve adjustment and new valve stem seals , and tidying up the body .
plans are to smooth the bottom of the doors where the lower trim panels were , and tucking the bumpers .
im going to collapse the crash shocks and cut the extra length out of the sides of the bumper covers , then plastic weld the caps back on . right now im running around with no rear cover
then flat paint Smile
lpumb3
11-08-2012, 08:08 PM #5

yeah im out doors . Cant run the engine with no fuel , tank or lines Smile . i was going to build a make shift car port off the back but i have a head to toe insulated suit ! i used to climb in -negative degrees .
as far as the bike , i literally couldn't ride it anymore . i had a bad accident at work basically broke the left side of my body after a 70ft +/- fall . so looking at the bike was bumming me out . after i do some more PT maybe by summer ill be able to hold a bike with the bad side ? hopefully
anyway
all lines and filters replaced tank, pre, and main, purge done , runs much better . i also removed the ALDA . but i did this when the car was on jack stands so i cant say the difference to much without it . . but im not seeing the crazy smoke most people do when its removed . eh
oh , had a 2 1/2 inch exhaust with a cherry bomb installed , from the down pipe back . not loud at all .
next up valve adjustment and new valve stem seals , and tidying up the body .
plans are to smooth the bottom of the doors where the lower trim panels were , and tucking the bumpers .
im going to collapse the crash shocks and cut the extra length out of the sides of the bumper covers , then plastic weld the caps back on . right now im running around with no rear cover
then flat paint Smile

lpumb3
617 300sd

11-10-2012, 12:48 PM #6
for got to mention , fixed the fuel level float , by coincidence. when i was cleaning the tank out and noticed all the back goo oozing out of the FLS . so i stared it into reveling its secret . on the bottom ,theirs a little screw/nut with a fine bolt through it . i used 2 picks to loosen it and turn it off , but i suppose cutting a little groove into the middle of a cheap #2 flat would do it the threaded rod runs through the entire unit . so , it comes of nd the metal cap revels the plastic cap u got this gently turned of sing padded channel locks then the tube simply slides off, be gentle i goofed and the unit fell right out so.. at this point it the actual metering unit is a little float that ride to super fine wires and then the is a fine copper wire that runs out side middle . at the bottom of this long rod's the insulating material that the copper connector for the wires ride . omy copper wire had broken off of this tang .
problem , so .
i gently gently gently , bent this tang closer to the wire so i had some over lap from where it broke before . removed the old solder and re-solder the wire . now i needed an assistant for this to hold the wire while i used both hand's . at this point the wire will be a little slack , so if you bent the tang gently , then nyou can use tiny plies flat , to squeeze the bend strait . this was uneventful for me , but i imagine yuo could f@#$ up all your efforts at this point . this got my wire nice and taught , like a geetar Smile . since i had already cleaned ev3ery thing with a tooth brush , i put it all back together no algae hidden to reinfect . it works flawlessly now Smile with thaT said ,i there is a resistor on the insulating panel the top of the unit on the back side of the plug . if this would have been bad o would have had to pul it out and replace this i suppose . so if your cleaning your tank and thought about spending 200+$ 8-0 try to fix it first .
lpumb3
11-10-2012, 12:48 PM #6

for got to mention , fixed the fuel level float , by coincidence. when i was cleaning the tank out and noticed all the back goo oozing out of the FLS . so i stared it into reveling its secret . on the bottom ,theirs a little screw/nut with a fine bolt through it . i used 2 picks to loosen it and turn it off , but i suppose cutting a little groove into the middle of a cheap #2 flat would do it the threaded rod runs through the entire unit . so , it comes of nd the metal cap revels the plastic cap u got this gently turned of sing padded channel locks then the tube simply slides off, be gentle i goofed and the unit fell right out so.. at this point it the actual metering unit is a little float that ride to super fine wires and then the is a fine copper wire that runs out side middle . at the bottom of this long rod's the insulating material that the copper connector for the wires ride . omy copper wire had broken off of this tang .
problem , so .
i gently gently gently , bent this tang closer to the wire so i had some over lap from where it broke before . removed the old solder and re-solder the wire . now i needed an assistant for this to hold the wire while i used both hand's . at this point the wire will be a little slack , so if you bent the tang gently , then nyou can use tiny plies flat , to squeeze the bend strait . this was uneventful for me , but i imagine yuo could f@#$ up all your efforts at this point . this got my wire nice and taught , like a geetar Smile . since i had already cleaned ev3ery thing with a tooth brush , i put it all back together no algae hidden to reinfect . it works flawlessly now Smile with thaT said ,i there is a resistor on the insulating panel the top of the unit on the back side of the plug . if this would have been bad o would have had to pul it out and replace this i suppose . so if your cleaning your tank and thought about spending 200+$ 8-0 try to fix it first .

lpumb3
617 300sd

11-11-2012, 10:48 AM #7
fiber glass and miricle paint , pretty tough stuff . Smile
lpumb3
11-11-2012, 10:48 AM #7

fiber glass and miricle paint , pretty tough stuff . Smile

lpumb3
617 300sd

11-15-2012, 08:16 AM #8
so both the "holes" in the rear tubs and trunk have been filled , and it loooks pretty good . i need to lay some of the fine cloth over , to make it look pretty/stronger . then building the trim panel blanks.
prep prep prep, it would hav been cool to do this in metal , actually might have taken less time but this stuff haas done the trick. it like sticky paper mach-ea? but i was able to coat the back sides of alot of the panels . i noticed some stuff on Hirsch , phosphate etching primer , weld through stuff , says it neutralizes rust as well ill try that to when i finnally get a welder .
ps , need moderator for pass words so i can up load pics !
lpumb3
11-15-2012, 08:16 AM #8

so both the "holes" in the rear tubs and trunk have been filled , and it loooks pretty good . i need to lay some of the fine cloth over , to make it look pretty/stronger . then building the trim panel blanks.
prep prep prep, it would hav been cool to do this in metal , actually might have taken less time but this stuff haas done the trick. it like sticky paper mach-ea? but i was able to coat the back sides of alot of the panels . i noticed some stuff on Hirsch , phosphate etching primer , weld through stuff , says it neutralizes rust as well ill try that to when i finnally get a welder .
ps , need moderator for pass words so i can up load pics !

lpumb3
617 300sd

11-16-2012, 07:07 AM #9
valve job done , now for a raod trip. after the adjustment prretty big improvement . but it almost feels down on power"? hen i looked at the tach , and speed . doing better than before , only now im not dumping hard to get into boost , itjust does it all with out then when you get into iboost it takes off. yay . i hink i might pre-load my Aldo tab when i cap it . hmmm
lpumb3
11-16-2012, 07:07 AM #9

valve job done , now for a raod trip. after the adjustment prretty big improvement . but it almost feels down on power"? hen i looked at the tach , and speed . doing better than before , only now im not dumping hard to get into boost , itjust does it all with out then when you get into iboost it takes off. yay . i hink i might pre-load my Aldo tab when i cap it . hmmm

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

11-16-2012, 09:05 AM #10
If you don't want to pop the capsule on the alda or remove it, putting a shim between the alda and IP is a good way to help

Simpler=Better
11-16-2012, 09:05 AM #10

If you don't want to pop the capsule on the alda or remove it, putting a shim between the alda and IP is a good way to help

Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

11-20-2012, 02:14 AM #11
Get er Done!

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

AX15 Jeep Trans swap in progress....

Captain America
11-20-2012, 02:14 AM #11

Get er Done!

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

AX15 Jeep Trans swap in progress....

lpumb3
617 300sd

12-15-2012, 10:15 AM #12
up date , road trip eventful . blew tranny Sad car is nnow tucked up at my dads place in a heated garage .
now will be the time to do the manual swap , so i bought a motor/tranny pedals etc , out of a 300td. local grease shop hjad it on CL. any ways it ran grees was told it drove in , it spins . and the guy who pulled it said it nseems like a brand new slave cly , and some indications that its been serviced ? in any event , it from a wagon so it has the hydralic pump on the cyl head , but the motor is definitley from a auto . so........ it not the correct manual linkages and the pump has the shift valve on it . but all the sutff is there , ill most likley use my old motor and pirate all the stuff off this motor as far as fueling .
ill have to fab a crossmember , as well as switching over to u-joints. i hope i can get a one piece shaft made . itll be pretty long though .
i had the idea of using the hydro pump in the head for a secondary fuel pump to boost the feed pressure to the IP would this work/help/ruin the pump? or is there a blanking plate available ? i dont know if it acts like an idle pully for the timing chain gear in the haed ?
thats whats next , but ill be tearing this motor down and doing all the porting work on the manifolds etc so its all ready to rock when i get down to do the swap in a few months .
any and all input on this swqap will be greatly apreciated , as well as any info on the cyl head pros cons aas well as that hydro pump idea , ill be looking into all that stuff as well .
lpumb3
12-15-2012, 10:15 AM #12

up date , road trip eventful . blew tranny Sad car is nnow tucked up at my dads place in a heated garage .
now will be the time to do the manual swap , so i bought a motor/tranny pedals etc , out of a 300td. local grease shop hjad it on CL. any ways it ran grees was told it drove in , it spins . and the guy who pulled it said it nseems like a brand new slave cly , and some indications that its been serviced ? in any event , it from a wagon so it has the hydralic pump on the cyl head , but the motor is definitley from a auto . so........ it not the correct manual linkages and the pump has the shift valve on it . but all the sutff is there , ill most likley use my old motor and pirate all the stuff off this motor as far as fueling .
ill have to fab a crossmember , as well as switching over to u-joints. i hope i can get a one piece shaft made . itll be pretty long though .
i had the idea of using the hydro pump in the head for a secondary fuel pump to boost the feed pressure to the IP would this work/help/ruin the pump? or is there a blanking plate available ? i dont know if it acts like an idle pully for the timing chain gear in the haed ?
thats whats next , but ill be tearing this motor down and doing all the porting work on the manifolds etc so its all ready to rock when i get down to do the swap in a few months .
any and all input on this swqap will be greatly apreciated , as well as any info on the cyl head pros cons aas well as that hydro pump idea , ill be looking into all that stuff as well .

lpumb3
617 300sd

01-11-2013, 11:40 PM #13
so , ive had the time to aquire a used 617 , out of an 83 300td, that was converted to a manual .
the Guys i bought it off of weere super cool and also run a veggie conversion shop in the boston area .
so not only did a couple guys drop it of but i was able to go hang out in the yard and pull every bit off . so i have the pedals brake booster master and resivoir as well as the linkage etc .
i was also able to grab the resivior for the hydro pump on the head for the rear suspension . ( any one know what the psi on these pumps is ? / i was able to find a lttle info , on Gwagens and i think om 617 , not too specific but one is 8bar? the other 5?
anyways its was filthy , ive pulled all xternal stuff but the pump/inj/lines. nor have i cracked the trans of yet .
i have had the time to strip down the turbo COMPLEATLY, and clean , as well as alittle grinding in some areas.
ill be taking photos along the way.
This post was last modified: 01-11-2013, 11:45 PM by lpumb3.
lpumb3
01-11-2013, 11:40 PM #13

so , ive had the time to aquire a used 617 , out of an 83 300td, that was converted to a manual .
the Guys i bought it off of weere super cool and also run a veggie conversion shop in the boston area .
so not only did a couple guys drop it of but i was able to go hang out in the yard and pull every bit off . so i have the pedals brake booster master and resivoir as well as the linkage etc .
i was also able to grab the resivior for the hydro pump on the head for the rear suspension . ( any one know what the psi on these pumps is ? / i was able to find a lttle info , on Gwagens and i think om 617 , not too specific but one is 8bar? the other 5?
anyways its was filthy , ive pulled all xternal stuff but the pump/inj/lines. nor have i cracked the trans of yet .
i have had the time to strip down the turbo COMPLEATLY, and clean , as well as alittle grinding in some areas.
ill be taking photos along the way.

lpumb3
617 300sd

01-13-2013, 09:44 PM #14
Cant seeem to post pics via my phone super aggro!
any ways manifolds cleaned turbo cleaned and ready to be shipped , update when returned
now i have to split the 4speed from the motor i picked up . clean and clean and clean .
lpumb3
01-13-2013, 09:44 PM #14

Cant seeem to post pics via my phone super aggro!
any ways manifolds cleaned turbo cleaned and ready to be shipped , update when returned
now i have to split the 4speed from the motor i picked up . clean and clean and clean .

lpumb3
617 300sd

01-25-2013, 01:37 PM #15
pumps of injectors soaked in wd and covered with glove tips till i can get this thing inside . any on near worcester ma got a portable cherry picker lol
found a source for parts for my trans yay !
lpumb3
01-25-2013, 01:37 PM #15

pumps of injectors soaked in wd and covered with glove tips till i can get this thing inside . any on near worcester ma got a portable cherry picker lol
found a source for parts for my trans yay !

lpumb3
617 300sd

01-27-2013, 09:47 AM #16
Cue maniacal laugh !!!!! so excited..........
lpumb3
01-27-2013, 09:47 AM #16

Cue maniacal laugh !!!!! so excited..........

lpumb3
617 300sd

01-28-2013, 08:13 AM #17
Mump in the house , PES5M55C320 RS108-1
011 34391814
0-400-075-991
617 070 4301 ER0002
This post was last modified: 01-28-2013, 11:47 AM by lpumb3.
lpumb3
01-28-2013, 08:13 AM #17

Mump in the house , PES5M55C320 RS108-1
011 34391814
0-400-075-991
617 070 4301 ER0002

lpumb3
617 300sd

02-04-2013, 08:30 PM #18
i believe i may carck and grab a parts car so i can throw a tranny in my sd quick and get it back up here Sad grrrrr feels more like defeat
lpumb3
02-04-2013, 08:30 PM #18

i believe i may carck and grab a parts car so i can throw a tranny in my sd quick and get it back up here Sad grrrrr feels more like defeat

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

02-04-2013, 09:53 PM #19
I feel ya, hang in there. Get it running and enjoy it for a while Smile

Simpler=Better
02-04-2013, 09:53 PM #19

I feel ya, hang in there. Get it running and enjoy it for a while Smile

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average