STD Other Open WTF proprietary USB Connection

WTF proprietary USB Connection

WTF proprietary USB Connection

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

11-05-2012, 03:50 PM #1
Okay, WTF is this and when did it start?

I'm looking into a nice portable 1TB drive for my lady, and all of the new WD/Seagate drives use this shitty proprietary shit.

[Image: nSJ0I.jpg]

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
11-05-2012, 03:50 PM #1

Okay, WTF is this and when did it start?

I'm looking into a nice portable 1TB drive for my lady, and all of the new WD/Seagate drives use this shitty proprietary shit.

[Image: nSJ0I.jpg]

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

larsalan
Superturbo

11-05-2012, 05:21 PM #2
Surely it is sata inside that case. Just buy the drive and case separate and you won't need to fuck with whatever stupid cord that is.
Or maybe those stupid cords are on fleabay for a reasonable price. That is you best source for all that stuff Wink
direct from china Wink

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
11-05-2012, 05:21 PM #2

Surely it is sata inside that case. Just buy the drive and case separate and you won't need to fuck with whatever stupid cord that is.
Or maybe those stupid cords are on fleabay for a reasonable price. That is you best source for all that stuff Wink
direct from china Wink

Mark_M
GT2559V

11-05-2012, 06:44 PM #3
Thats isnt USB in any form was it supposed to be or is it an ESATA? The other thing that Seagate does is sell a base unit and you add an adapter to whatever you want so it can be ESATA, USB Firewire or whatever. What is the model number.
Mark_M
11-05-2012, 06:44 PM #3

Thats isnt USB in any form was it supposed to be or is it an ESATA? The other thing that Seagate does is sell a base unit and you add an adapter to whatever you want so it can be ESATA, USB Firewire or whatever. What is the model number.

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

11-05-2012, 09:29 PM #4
Its USB 3.0, not a proprietary connection.

(11-05-2012, 06:44 PM)Mark_M Thats isnt USB in any form was it supposed to be or is it an ESATA? The other thing that Seagate does is sell a base unit and you add an adapter to whatever you want so it can be ESATA, USB Firewire or whatever. What is the model number.

it is, its 3.0. It has a new form factor. usually the cable they provide is backwards comptatible with 2.0 but only on the computer side. and the drive you are referring to with the switchable docks is the "go flex" series.

go to Microcenter/New egg and order a 3.0 PCI or PCI-e card. You will be happy with the speed results, of course your OS and other hardware arent bottlnecking bandwidth

EDIT: taking another look, the male side that plugs into the HDD looks to be right, thats a micro USB 3.0 but the other male end that goes into the PC, now thats a little weird. If you get your hands on a standard Micro 3.0 Cable you should be able to use it with the PC no problem.
This post was last modified: 11-05-2012, 09:34 PM by Purplecomputer.
Purplecomputer
11-05-2012, 09:29 PM #4

Its USB 3.0, not a proprietary connection.

(11-05-2012, 06:44 PM)Mark_M Thats isnt USB in any form was it supposed to be or is it an ESATA? The other thing that Seagate does is sell a base unit and you add an adapter to whatever you want so it can be ESATA, USB Firewire or whatever. What is the model number.

it is, its 3.0. It has a new form factor. usually the cable they provide is backwards comptatible with 2.0 but only on the computer side. and the drive you are referring to with the switchable docks is the "go flex" series.

go to Microcenter/New egg and order a 3.0 PCI or PCI-e card. You will be happy with the speed results, of course your OS and other hardware arent bottlnecking bandwidth

EDIT: taking another look, the male side that plugs into the HDD looks to be right, thats a micro USB 3.0 but the other male end that goes into the PC, now thats a little weird. If you get your hands on a standard Micro 3.0 Cable you should be able to use it with the PC no problem.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

11-05-2012, 10:07 PM #5
Sorry to confuse, I'm talking about the one on the left. That's some guy's blog post comparing a new fangled wide ass USB to a good ol' miniUSB.

Inside the drives are straight to USB.

I could understand going to micro(the new standard on blackberries and shit) but to make a new fucking plug? goddamit it's supposed to be universal serial bus you fuckers.

Simpler=Better
11-05-2012, 10:07 PM #5

Sorry to confuse, I'm talking about the one on the left. That's some guy's blog post comparing a new fangled wide ass USB to a good ol' miniUSB.

I could understand going to micro(the new standard on blackberries and shit) but to make a new fucking plug? goddamit it's supposed to be universal serial bus you fuckers.

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

11-05-2012, 10:23 PM #6
(11-05-2012, 10:07 PM)Simpler=Better Sorry to confuse, I'm talking about the one on the left. That's some guy's blog post comparing a new fangled wide ass USB to a good ol' miniUSB.

Now with all the USB 3.0 devices I have used, their typical square PC end where all the same, but the other end that goes into the devide were all new shapes and designs much like USB 2.0 today.

All the Seagates that I have used that support 3.0 have that same connection the "micro 3.0" connection. Things change and so do plugs, cant do much about it
This post was last modified: 11-05-2012, 10:24 PM by Purplecomputer.
Purplecomputer
11-05-2012, 10:23 PM #6

(11-05-2012, 10:07 PM)Simpler=Better Sorry to confuse, I'm talking about the one on the left. That's some guy's blog post comparing a new fangled wide ass USB to a good ol' miniUSB.

Now with all the USB 3.0 devices I have used, their typical square PC end where all the same, but the other end that goes into the devide were all new shapes and designs much like USB 2.0 today.

All the Seagates that I have used that support 3.0 have that same connection the "micro 3.0" connection. Things change and so do plugs, cant do much about it

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

11-06-2012, 09:26 AM #7
Fuck it then, I'll get an enclosure and make my own. It wouldn't be a problem, except my other 4 externals are all mini and I'd like to maintain a standard.

There is no goddamn reason to go to a new connector-mini/micro should be able to support the data transfer and power requirements just fine.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

/rant
thanks for the input. I'll probably switch one day.

Simpler=Better
11-06-2012, 09:26 AM #7

Fuck it then, I'll get an enclosure and make my own. It wouldn't be a problem, except my other 4 externals are all mini and I'd like to maintain a standard.

There is no goddamn reason to go to a new connector-mini/micro should be able to support the data transfer and power requirements just fine.

/rant

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

11-06-2012, 11:45 AM #8
(11-06-2012, 09:26 AM)Simpler=Better Fuck it then, I'll get an enclosure and make my own. It wouldn't be a problem, except my other 4 externals are all mini and I'd like to maintain a standard.

/rant

I feel ya, no worries. cheaper that way too.
Purplecomputer
11-06-2012, 11:45 AM #8

(11-06-2012, 09:26 AM)Simpler=Better Fuck it then, I'll get an enclosure and make my own. It wouldn't be a problem, except my other 4 externals are all mini and I'd like to maintain a standard.

/rant

I feel ya, no worries. cheaper that way too.

larsalan
Superturbo

11-06-2012, 03:19 PM #9
I thought I had heard a long time ago that 'usb 3.0' protocol was going to be implemented on them rj45 jacks.
Like ethernet cords ya know? That would be convenient but I am not in charge of any of it Wink
To me it seems like those ethernet cords could do quite a lot with 8 wires in there.
That usb is but 4.
They wouldn't want people making their own cords Wink

larsalan
11-06-2012, 03:19 PM #9

I thought I had heard a long time ago that 'usb 3.0' protocol was going to be implemented on them rj45 jacks.
Like ethernet cords ya know? That would be convenient but I am not in charge of any of it Wink
To me it seems like those ethernet cords could do quite a lot with 8 wires in there.
That usb is but 4.
They wouldn't want people making their own cords Wink

RedDiesel
Banned

02-08-2013, 02:47 PM #10
USB 2 plugs fit that port and works exactly the same. Nothing proprietary about either of those plugs.
RedDiesel
02-08-2013, 02:47 PM #10

USB 2 plugs fit that port and works exactly the same. Nothing proprietary about either of those plugs.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

02-15-2013, 12:47 PM #11
The guy on the left looks like Micro USB, but it's got a weird extension on the right. WTF is that all about?

Simpler=Better
02-15-2013, 12:47 PM #11

The guy on the left looks like Micro USB, but it's got a weird extension on the right. WTF is that all about?

RedDiesel
Banned

02-16-2013, 09:47 AM #12
USB 3.0 is nothing more than USB 2.0 with extra pins inside the "normal" A size plug and tag-ons to the B, mini and micro plugs because they can't fit extra pins inside.

If you plug the other end of the cable into a USB2.0 port it will work exactly the same, just slower than it could with USB3.0
This post was last modified: 02-16-2013, 09:57 AM by RedDiesel.
Attached Files
Image(s)

RedDiesel
02-16-2013, 09:47 AM #12

USB 3.0 is nothing more than USB 2.0 with extra pins inside the "normal" A size plug and tag-ons to the B, mini and micro plugs because they can't fit extra pins inside.

If you plug the other end of the cable into a USB2.0 port it will work exactly the same, just slower than it could with USB3.0

Attached Files
Image(s)

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

02-16-2013, 12:46 PM #13
Thanks for the breakdown, but I have one more question:

If I stick a good ol' microusb cable (labeled as 'usb 2.0 portion' in the pic) will it operate?

Simpler=Better
02-16-2013, 12:46 PM #13

Thanks for the breakdown, but I have one more question:

If I stick a good ol' microusb cable (labeled as 'usb 2.0 portion' in the pic) will it operate?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average