STD Tuning Engine OM 617 high rpm miss load or no load

OM 617 high rpm miss load or no load

OM 617 high rpm miss load or no load

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

aka rover
Naturally-aspirated

11-01-2012, 10:46 PM #1
To start off this is a 1984 OM617 turbo currently backed by a manual 4spd in a Series IIa Land Rover. ALDA delete no EGR and slight pump tunning per om616s recomendations.

This motor runs very good warm at idle no smoke and has some blow by. I did a valve adjust on this motor replaced chain guides and reset the cam timming back to spec with offset woodruff key. double checked the TTC pointer while head was off. Motor has good compression starts in the cold and idles with slight miss cold for about 3 min until warm.

The problem Im having is a mid range miss load or no load, I can duplicate the problem sitting just reving the motor to about 3k rpms. When it starts to miss I can see small puffs of black smoke while sitting still. under load I can't see any smoke while moving or underway, can just feel it become rough running. During all this it doesn't put out any black smoke.

I did the drip timming method and double and triple checked myself as it was the first time I had done this. I drove the motor while it was in the benz chassis and I didn't notice this miss. But again I didn't spend much time in the car to have noticed it so maybe it was there.

It idles super smooth doesn't nail when warm and only puts out a slight bluish grey haze of smoke, not unlike any other diesel. You have to be in the right sun light to see any smoke burns very clean.

My EGTs are around 700-800 at cruise at 60 mph, and you cant tell theres a problem until you start pushing it up the rpm range to find the miss.

I have no fuel leaks around the injectors and cant find any air leaks? could it be a fuel filter ? Maybe pump timming? but wouldn't it run bad all the time.

I hope I have given enough info for someone to maybe help out with the problem.

Cheers Ed
aka rover
11-01-2012, 10:46 PM #1

To start off this is a 1984 OM617 turbo currently backed by a manual 4spd in a Series IIa Land Rover. ALDA delete no EGR and slight pump tunning per om616s recomendations.

This motor runs very good warm at idle no smoke and has some blow by. I did a valve adjust on this motor replaced chain guides and reset the cam timming back to spec with offset woodruff key. double checked the TTC pointer while head was off. Motor has good compression starts in the cold and idles with slight miss cold for about 3 min until warm.

The problem Im having is a mid range miss load or no load, I can duplicate the problem sitting just reving the motor to about 3k rpms. When it starts to miss I can see small puffs of black smoke while sitting still. under load I can't see any smoke while moving or underway, can just feel it become rough running. During all this it doesn't put out any black smoke.

I did the drip timming method and double and triple checked myself as it was the first time I had done this. I drove the motor while it was in the benz chassis and I didn't notice this miss. But again I didn't spend much time in the car to have noticed it so maybe it was there.

It idles super smooth doesn't nail when warm and only puts out a slight bluish grey haze of smoke, not unlike any other diesel. You have to be in the right sun light to see any smoke burns very clean.

My EGTs are around 700-800 at cruise at 60 mph, and you cant tell theres a problem until you start pushing it up the rpm range to find the miss.

I have no fuel leaks around the injectors and cant find any air leaks? could it be a fuel filter ? Maybe pump timming? but wouldn't it run bad all the time.

I hope I have given enough info for someone to maybe help out with the problem.

Cheers Ed

raysorenson
Superturbo

11-02-2012, 06:29 AM #2
Maybe air in the fuel supply line to the lift pump.
raysorenson
11-02-2012, 06:29 AM #2

Maybe air in the fuel supply line to the lift pump.

aka rover
Naturally-aspirated

11-02-2012, 11:50 AM #3
It appear to have air in the system but I will double check everything again, I put in a black hand pump bosch I think, Starts good and runs fine untill the rpms get higher. Has anyone had the pump timing cause this sympton.

Cheers Ed
aka rover
11-02-2012, 11:50 AM #3

It appear to have air in the system but I will double check everything again, I put in a black hand pump bosch I think, Starts good and runs fine untill the rpms get higher. Has anyone had the pump timing cause this sympton.

Cheers Ed

aka rover
Naturally-aspirated

11-02-2012, 03:41 PM #4
Should you be able to see the fuel going through the clear fuel lines on the motor? I shined a bright light under the lines then reved the motor and I can see the fuel moving in the lines. my question is if I can see a change in the fuel color or density then it must be air that im seeing because if it was just fuel wouldn't I not be able to see the change in rpms when looking at the lines with a bright light.

Ed
aka rover
11-02-2012, 03:41 PM #4

Should you be able to see the fuel going through the clear fuel lines on the motor? I shined a bright light under the lines then reved the motor and I can see the fuel moving in the lines. my question is if I can see a change in the fuel color or density then it must be air that im seeing because if it was just fuel wouldn't I not be able to see the change in rpms when looking at the lines with a bright light.

Ed

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average