STD Tuning Engine main bearing wear

main bearing wear

main bearing wear

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Torkey
Dirty Diesel

10-20-2012, 10:25 PM #1
Finally got the rest of the engine disassembled and inspecting the main bearings there is little to no wear. How can this be?!?!? This engine has over 250K on it. I've got new bearing but I'm now wondering if I need to replace them. Difference in thickness between the new and old bearings is .02mm or less.
Do these need to be replaced?
Attached Files
Image(s)

Torkey
10-20-2012, 10:25 PM #1

Finally got the rest of the engine disassembled and inspecting the main bearings there is little to no wear. How can this be?!?!? This engine has over 250K on it. I've got new bearing but I'm now wondering if I need to replace them. Difference in thickness between the new and old bearings is .02mm or less.

Attached Files
Image(s)

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

11-03-2012, 01:51 PM #2
(10-20-2012, 10:25 PM)Torkey Finally got the rest of the engine disassembled and inspecting the main bearings there is little to no wear. How can this be?!?!? This engine has over 250K on it. I've got new bearing but I'm now wondering if I need to replace them. Difference in thickness between the new and old bearings is .02mm or less.

I've seen a few 617's with little wear on the crankshaft main bearings at that mileage. So that is normal for an engine that's taken care of and shows precise care MB took to make this rotating assembly well balanced.

If it compares to what I've seen, you can easily reuse these as long as the oil clearance is to spec. Too bad you can't flip the mains like you can the rods to get more life them as the bottom shells takes more of the load and which cause more wear compared to the top shell.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
11-03-2012, 01:51 PM #2

(10-20-2012, 10:25 PM)Torkey Finally got the rest of the engine disassembled and inspecting the main bearings there is little to no wear. How can this be?!?!? This engine has over 250K on it. I've got new bearing but I'm now wondering if I need to replace them. Difference in thickness between the new and old bearings is .02mm or less.

I've seen a few 617's with little wear on the crankshaft main bearings at that mileage. So that is normal for an engine that's taken care of and shows precise care MB took to make this rotating assembly well balanced.

If it compares to what I've seen, you can easily reuse these as long as the oil clearance is to spec. Too bad you can't flip the mains like you can the rods to get more life them as the bottom shells takes more of the load and which cause more wear compared to the top shell.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average