STD Tuning Engine Damn valve cover gasket

Damn valve cover gasket

Damn valve cover gasket

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hotrodbenz
Boost and roost baby let's do some coke

10-22-2012, 07:21 PM #1
I need help ill give you some back play first
I swapped my 617a from my 85 123 to my 83 euro 300d with a 4 speed and tuned the pump and whoa this bitch flys but the vc gasket was leaking and I was tired of it admit so I ordered one from but mb parts dot biz got it on and loe and behold it leaks found a pice of junk under the gasket got it off and fixed it and now the front leaks any ideas how to stop it
Hotrodbenz
10-22-2012, 07:21 PM #1

I need help ill give you some back play first
I swapped my 617a from my 85 123 to my 83 euro 300d with a 4 speed and tuned the pump and whoa this bitch flys but the vc gasket was leaking and I was tired of it admit so I ordered one from but mb parts dot biz got it on and loe and behold it leaks found a pice of junk under the gasket got it off and fixed it and now the front leaks any ideas how to stop it

Greazzer
Superturbo

10-22-2012, 07:42 PM #2
Howdy,

Yes, this is what I did. Make sure the VC gasket is seated properly on the VC. Then, carefully lower it onto the head, making sure it does not "pop" or slip off. Then, take both hands , spaced about the same distance, put on VC and very slowly and carefully shimmy back and forth. Back and forth defined as to the front of the car (towards radiator) and back defined towards rear of car (towards trunk). That back and forth shimmy will "seat" the gasket. I bought 2 new VC gaskets in the past and had leaks. Could not figure it out. Spoke to an old timer as the JY since I was thinking of getting a new VC, and he told me this trick. I tried it and guess what ? NO MORE LEAKS. So, it worked for me.

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...
Greazzer
10-22-2012, 07:42 PM #2

Howdy,

Yes, this is what I did. Make sure the VC gasket is seated properly on the VC. Then, carefully lower it onto the head, making sure it does not "pop" or slip off. Then, take both hands , spaced about the same distance, put on VC and very slowly and carefully shimmy back and forth. Back and forth defined as to the front of the car (towards radiator) and back defined towards rear of car (towards trunk). That back and forth shimmy will "seat" the gasket. I bought 2 new VC gaskets in the past and had leaks. Could not figure it out. Spoke to an old timer as the JY since I was thinking of getting a new VC, and he told me this trick. I tried it and guess what ? NO MORE LEAKS. So, it worked for me.

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...

Hercules
GT2559V

10-23-2012, 01:41 AM #3
The valve cover gasket used to be very thick,Mbz resized to a much thinner gasket. Some times the stops prevent the gasket from being tightened enough. When tightening v/c notice if it comes down solid and stops without feeling it squeeze the gasket first. If so file down stops on the valve cover a (small) amount.Clean v/c.

Many of the gaskets need to be stretched, length wise. When installing notice if gasket pulls and pops off.
Tip; after getting v/c on lift a small amount one end at a time and pop back down, if makes a thumping noise gasket is still on.
Hercules
10-23-2012, 01:41 AM #3

The valve cover gasket used to be very thick,Mbz resized to a much thinner gasket. Some times the stops prevent the gasket from being tightened enough. When tightening v/c notice if it comes down solid and stops without feeling it squeeze the gasket first. If so file down stops on the valve cover a (small) amount.Clean v/c.

Many of the gaskets need to be stretched, length wise. When installing notice if gasket pulls and pops off.
Tip; after getting v/c on lift a small amount one end at a time and pop back down, if makes a thumping noise gasket is still on.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average