STD Tuning Drivetrain A4LD

A4LD

A4LD

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-22-2012, 08:42 AM #1
What do you guys think of the ford A4LD (aka C3 with overdrive) ?

It's a locking transmission with a huge aftermarket support, and can be setup with a manual valve body. The auto mode ones are vacuum modulated with an electronic overdrive unit. Seems like it would make a nice locking auto for a w123.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
10-22-2012, 08:42 AM #1

What do you guys think of the ford A4LD (aka C3 with overdrive) ?

It's a locking transmission with a huge aftermarket support, and can be setup with a manual valve body. The auto mode ones are vacuum modulated with an electronic overdrive unit. Seems like it would make a nice locking auto for a w123.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

raysorenson
Superturbo

10-22-2012, 11:53 AM #2
They have a super high stall speed when mated to a 4.0l, so maybe they'd have a realistic stall speed when mated to an om617. If I'm not mistaken, all have a solenoid to command the 3-4 shift and torque converter clutch application.

The planetary gear arrangement in the trans is capable of 6 forward speeds. Ford took advantage of this later with the 5R55E (5 forward gears, Reverse, 550 ft-lbs input torque rating, Electronic) and applied the overdrive clutch in first gear to split the ratios between the previous 1st and second gears giving 5 speeds. That's the trans I like. They've got super close ratios in the first 3 gears which is great for coaxing maximum acceleration out of an engine that isn't exactly a fire-breather. Electronic controls would be a must.
raysorenson
10-22-2012, 11:53 AM #2

They have a super high stall speed when mated to a 4.0l, so maybe they'd have a realistic stall speed when mated to an om617. If I'm not mistaken, all have a solenoid to command the 3-4 shift and torque converter clutch application.

The planetary gear arrangement in the trans is capable of 6 forward speeds. Ford took advantage of this later with the 5R55E (5 forward gears, Reverse, 550 ft-lbs input torque rating, Electronic) and applied the overdrive clutch in first gear to split the ratios between the previous 1st and second gears giving 5 speeds. That's the trans I like. They've got super close ratios in the first 3 gears which is great for coaxing maximum acceleration out of an engine that isn't exactly a fire-breather. Electronic controls would be a must.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average