STD Other Open looking at buying a new car, need some advice

looking at buying a new car, need some advice

looking at buying a new car, need some advice

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

rmd2k1
K26-2

10-21-2012, 05:44 AM #1
Me and my fiance have been looking at cars the last couple of months and we have narrowed it down to a few models. I'm just looking for some advice or opinions on things.

These are the few that we have narrowed down to:
1. Mini Cooper Clubman, standard or s model 2008-2010
2. 2012 Ford Focus 4dr hatchback
3. 2012 Scion Xb

Those are ones we gave more or less agreed on. Except for the scion, not too keen on those.

The other couple that I'm really wanting to include here are:
4. 2005/6 Mercedes e320 cdi
5. 2013 Ford Focus ST
6. 2006-2008 Volvo S60R

I'm also leaving options open for any other ideas really. The biggest thing I'm looking for is 32+mpg on the highway and no less than 23 mpg city. 4 door is prefered but as long as it has an easy access to the back seat similar to the mini clubman I'm happy since we have a 6yr old daughter.

Any opinions, ideas and what not is appreciated
rmd2k1
10-21-2012, 05:44 AM #1

Me and my fiance have been looking at cars the last couple of months and we have narrowed it down to a few models. I'm just looking for some advice or opinions on things.

These are the few that we have narrowed down to:
1. Mini Cooper Clubman, standard or s model 2008-2010
2. 2012 Ford Focus 4dr hatchback
3. 2012 Scion Xb

Those are ones we gave more or less agreed on. Except for the scion, not too keen on those.

The other couple that I'm really wanting to include here are:
4. 2005/6 Mercedes e320 cdi
5. 2013 Ford Focus ST
6. 2006-2008 Volvo S60R

I'm also leaving options open for any other ideas really. The biggest thing I'm looking for is 32+mpg on the highway and no less than 23 mpg city. 4 door is prefered but as long as it has an easy access to the back seat similar to the mini clubman I'm happy since we have a 6yr old daughter.

Any opinions, ideas and what not is appreciated

w123love
Stockish

10-21-2012, 10:44 PM #2
My family has been very happy with the 2006 E320 CDI. We’ve taken it all over the country, hitting a high of 40 MPG once, and an average on long trips of 36. It is comfortable in the back seat for sure, and having the premium 2 package gives it 60/40 split rear seats. Its soooo quiet inside which makes any trip no matter the distance a pleasant one. It is my Mother’s DD, which was a huge upgrade from the W123 sedan she drove for 24 years. So basically everything is amazing on the car to her. One thing that is a downgrade from the W123 is the field of vision behind the driver. It takes some getting used too in order to spot a lane change over your right shoulder.

Overall though, we haven’t had any significant problems with the 50,000 CDI. We just had to replace the glow plugs again, but that was covered under warranty. Some other recent service was a collapsed motor and transmission mount.

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN
w123love
10-21-2012, 10:44 PM #2

My family has been very happy with the 2006 E320 CDI. We’ve taken it all over the country, hitting a high of 40 MPG once, and an average on long trips of 36. It is comfortable in the back seat for sure, and having the premium 2 package gives it 60/40 split rear seats. Its soooo quiet inside which makes any trip no matter the distance a pleasant one. It is my Mother’s DD, which was a huge upgrade from the W123 sedan she drove for 24 years. So basically everything is amazing on the car to her. One thing that is a downgrade from the W123 is the field of vision behind the driver. It takes some getting used too in order to spot a lane change over your right shoulder.

Overall though, we haven’t had any significant problems with the 50,000 CDI. We just had to replace the glow plugs again, but that was covered under warranty. Some other recent service was a collapsed motor and transmission mount.

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

10-22-2012, 05:17 AM #3
I rented, or "hired", a 2012 Ford Focus in Ireland this past summer. Taking into account it was TDCi, six speed and right hand drive, I was impressed with this "C" segment car in terms of interior, handling and styling. I was very comfortable in the car. I enjoyed driving it in the narrow and winding roads I encountered. I read the ST is a pretty fun car to drive, so that maybe a good option if your looking for something sporty.
I can't speak for the gas engines, but the diesel was great. I was getting 5.6 liters per 100 kilometers in mixed driving. That translates into like 50 mpg. Which was great because diesel in Ireland while I was there was 1.46 EURO per liter or about $8-$9 a gallon. Too bad Ford does not offer this engine here.

The other car I can speak of is the 2005 E320 CDI. The car is classy, not over done. Great power, handling ok, great fuel economy as mentioned earlier with the 2006, and has a very comfortable cabin with good interior space. Of the cars you mentioned, the e320 will give you more amenities and it has a pretty good size trunk.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
10-22-2012, 05:17 AM #3

I rented, or "hired", a 2012 Ford Focus in Ireland this past summer. Taking into account it was TDCi, six speed and right hand drive, I was impressed with this "C" segment car in terms of interior, handling and styling. I was very comfortable in the car. I enjoyed driving it in the narrow and winding roads I encountered. I read the ST is a pretty fun car to drive, so that maybe a good option if your looking for something sporty.
I can't speak for the gas engines, but the diesel was great. I was getting 5.6 liters per 100 kilometers in mixed driving. That translates into like 50 mpg. Which was great because diesel in Ireland while I was there was 1.46 EURO per liter or about $8-$9 a gallon. Too bad Ford does not offer this engine here.

The other car I can speak of is the 2005 E320 CDI. The car is classy, not over done. Great power, handling ok, great fuel economy as mentioned earlier with the 2006, and has a very comfortable cabin with good interior space. Of the cars you mentioned, the e320 will give you more amenities and it has a pretty good size trunk.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

rmd2k1
K26-2

10-22-2012, 12:12 PM #4
I've been interested in buying another Mercedes diesel. Biggest fear is I've read some problems about Egr and crankcase vapors causing a lot of issues but I can only imagine that happening from poor maintenance or people ignoring the idiot lights.

I'm impressed by the focus st because of its power and fuel mileage abilities. Not that any of the other cars are slouches in the mpg department as any of them beat my fiances minivan mileage with ease.

I think more or less Im looking for something that has not only good mileage but has a fun/pleasurable driving experience.
rmd2k1
10-22-2012, 12:12 PM #4

I've been interested in buying another Mercedes diesel. Biggest fear is I've read some problems about Egr and crankcase vapors causing a lot of issues but I can only imagine that happening from poor maintenance or people ignoring the idiot lights.

I'm impressed by the focus st because of its power and fuel mileage abilities. Not that any of the other cars are slouches in the mpg department as any of them beat my fiances minivan mileage with ease.

I think more or less Im looking for something that has not only good mileage but has a fun/pleasurable driving experience.

larsalan
Superturbo

10-22-2012, 03:19 PM #5
(10-22-2012, 12:12 PM)rmd2k1 I've been interested in buying another Mercedes diesel. Biggest fear is I've read some problems about Egr and crankcase vapors causing a lot of issues ...

We here are mostly trying to delete such silly devices.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
10-22-2012, 03:19 PM #5

(10-22-2012, 12:12 PM)rmd2k1 I've been interested in buying another Mercedes diesel. Biggest fear is I've read some problems about Egr and crankcase vapors causing a lot of issues ...

We here are mostly trying to delete such silly devices.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'

rmd2k1
K26-2

10-22-2012, 03:49 PM #6
Yea. I'm getting ready to do an Egr delete on my 83 300sd. I'm just not sure what the process would be on a 05/06 model due to the electronics and all that mess. Egr valves are a complete waste. I work in the trucking industry as a mechanic and have seen more Egr valve and cooler failures then I care to admit.

I'm just hoping I can get the old 300sd running a bit better before winter otherwise I'm stuck driving my other vehicle, a 93 f350 dually with a 460 gasser, 10 mpg. Ugh. Lol
rmd2k1
10-22-2012, 03:49 PM #6

Yea. I'm getting ready to do an Egr delete on my 83 300sd. I'm just not sure what the process would be on a 05/06 model due to the electronics and all that mess. Egr valves are a complete waste. I work in the trucking industry as a mechanic and have seen more Egr valve and cooler failures then I care to admit.

I'm just hoping I can get the old 300sd running a bit better before winter otherwise I'm stuck driving my other vehicle, a 93 f350 dually with a 460 gasser, 10 mpg. Ugh. Lol

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average