STD Tuning Engine euro 300d performance project

euro 300d performance project

euro 300d performance project

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

poleshady
GTA2056V

10-14-2012, 11:45 PM #1
I have an 1984 euro 300d, manual trans and m pump. Its my daily driver now,and It's in good shape. I will be scraping the n/ a engine for a turbo 617.I have been reading for a couple months, but I haven't seen much on what I plan on doing with the car. i waited on posting this because I didn't want to just ask questions without doing research first.
I want Myna to hype up the pump first. The $2500 shouldn't be a problem.

Next would be an intercooler. I guess I shop around and find an intercooler that will fit in front of the radiator. The condenser for the ac will be removed. Any suggestions for what to do or where to look.

Exhaust : 3 inches, and dump before the rear passenger wheel
I know everyone says that 14 psi is about the max that the engine can handle. Any ways to increase that? I read once that the head gasket is a weak link for body pressure.

One or two inch drop. I haven't seen any American companies that all drop springs for 123s. Any sources?

I've read about the two stage injectors. I'm not concerned about noise,I actually enjoy the clatter of a diesel. Are there any other injectors to help increase power.

Pictures to come,any info or suggestions or links to threads that I may have missed would be appreciated.
poleshady
10-14-2012, 11:45 PM #1

I have an 1984 euro 300d, manual trans and m pump. Its my daily driver now,and It's in good shape. I will be scraping the n/ a engine for a turbo 617.I have been reading for a couple months, but I haven't seen much on what I plan on doing with the car. i waited on posting this because I didn't want to just ask questions without doing research first.
I want Myna to hype up the pump first. The $2500 shouldn't be a problem.

Next would be an intercooler. I guess I shop around and find an intercooler that will fit in front of the radiator. The condenser for the ac will be removed. Any suggestions for what to do or where to look.

Exhaust : 3 inches, and dump before the rear passenger wheel
I know everyone says that 14 psi is about the max that the engine can handle. Any ways to increase that? I read once that the head gasket is a weak link for body pressure.

One or two inch drop. I haven't seen any American companies that all drop springs for 123s. Any sources?

I've read about the two stage injectors. I'm not concerned about noise,I actually enjoy the clatter of a diesel. Are there any other injectors to help increase power.

Pictures to come,any info or suggestions or links to threads that I may have missed would be appreciated.

gill4321
Naturally-aspirated

10-21-2012, 10:40 PM #2
Im from the big island and Im jealous of your euro 300D. I got 2 126 SD's and one !123 79' 300D. Im putting my 300D on a diet and putting in a turbo 617 and a 4 speed.

As for turbo boost you really dont want more than the turbo can put out. Once you get a myna put (which will increase my jealousy) a bigger turbo that is better matched with the upgrades. You can cruz the Forum for which turbo is best.

2 Stage injectors??? im not familiar with those.

well cant wait for pics or your ride.

Alohas
Gill P
gill4321
10-21-2012, 10:40 PM #2

Im from the big island and Im jealous of your euro 300D. I got 2 126 SD's and one !123 79' 300D. Im putting my 300D on a diet and putting in a turbo 617 and a 4 speed.

As for turbo boost you really dont want more than the turbo can put out. Once you get a myna put (which will increase my jealousy) a bigger turbo that is better matched with the upgrades. You can cruz the Forum for which turbo is best.

Alohas
Gill P

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-22-2012, 08:34 AM #3
I have never blown up a 617, but from what I've read the rods like ot bend above 2bar, and if you dump too much fuel without boost you can break stuff as well.

Again, no experience but reading up on the 2 stage VW injectors the people who swapped to them found a smoother idle and increased fuel economy, but a slight drop in power.

Properly balanced stock injectors with new nozzles seem to be the proven best right now. Contact member Greazzer he's our injector guy.

For more fuel contact Dieselmenken, Tomnik, or OM616.

As for dropping, the most common route is to cut the springs a coil or two, or buying custom springs.

If you have time on your hands, block off the vacuum pump, get a non EGR exhaust manifold, and a NA intake manifold. Ream the prechambers. If you have time and money pull the head and port it, and while the head's off do the timing chain guides, tensioner, and rails.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
10-22-2012, 08:34 AM #3

I have never blown up a 617, but from what I've read the rods like ot bend above 2bar, and if you dump too much fuel without boost you can break stuff as well.

Again, no experience but reading up on the 2 stage VW injectors the people who swapped to them found a smoother idle and increased fuel economy, but a slight drop in power.

Properly balanced stock injectors with new nozzles seem to be the proven best right now. Contact member Greazzer he's our injector guy.

As for dropping, the most common route is to cut the springs a coil or two, or buying custom springs.

If you have time on your hands, block off the vacuum pump, get a non EGR exhaust manifold, and a NA intake manifold. Ream the prechambers. If you have time and money pull the head and port it, and while the head's off do the timing chain guides, tensioner, and rails.

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

Greazzer
Superturbo

10-22-2012, 10:45 AM #4
Welcome aboard PoleShady,

I am buying on Friday a 300D NA with the coveted five-speed Getrag 717.400, a 1983-4 (hybrid 240D Body with 300D 1984 engine). How do you like the non-turbo ? I plan on deleting the PS and Water Pumps ASAP. Don't mean to hi-jack your thread. I will start one shortly. Thanks.

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...
Greazzer
10-22-2012, 10:45 AM #4

Welcome aboard PoleShady,

I am buying on Friday a 300D NA with the coveted five-speed Getrag 717.400, a 1983-4 (hybrid 240D Body with 300D 1984 engine). How do you like the non-turbo ? I plan on deleting the PS and Water Pumps ASAP. Don't mean to hi-jack your thread. I will start one shortly. Thanks.

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...

poleshady
GTA2056V

11-14-2012, 12:12 AM #5
Sorry for the late reply, school has been keeping me busy(Mechanincal Engineering), But I will be moving back to Hawaii in december when I graduate.
I work for fried ride Hi (http://www.friedridehi.com) they sell conversion kits. I just made an electronic conversion kit that he has started selling, if you are interested in the WVO scene.

The car is just sitting at home right now, when i get back ill dive right into it. I think i have some pictures ill put up, but Ill take more in December.

How available are parts cars on the big island? We tend to get flooded, then hit dry spells on oahu. I have been keeping my eye out for a new turbo engine..

(10-21-2012, 10:40 PM)gill4321 Im from the big island and Im jealous of your euro 300D. I got 2 126 SD's and one !123 79' 300D. Im putting my 300D on a diet and putting in a turbo 617 and a 4 speed.

Alohas
Gill P

(10-22-2012, 08:34 AM)Simpler=Better I have never blown up a 617, but from what I've read the rods like ot bend above 2bar, and if you dump too much fuel without boost you can break stuff as well.

so 2 bar is your recommended max because of the rods? why do most say 1? what is their limiting factor?

Ill probably cut them first and see how they feel. Shipping to hawaii kills it, really makes things get expensive fast.

I will have plenty of time. I have already reamed the injectors, adjusted valves, brakes all the way around. and a few other things to get it running smoother. Ill probably have the engine on a stand for a while before the swap to do the timing chain, are there any threads to porting the heads and manifolds that you could direct me to?

Thanks again for all the other information

(10-22-2012, 10:45 AM)Greazzer Welcome aboard PoleShady,

5 speed, lucky.

The non turbo is ok, i bought it in AZ where it was at 7,000 feet, It definetly runs smoother and is more powerful at SL though.

Do you have links to threads to delete the PS and waterpump?

By all means hi-jack it, more information/ pictures cant hurt.

The first picture is when i just got it back to hawaii, the second is after buffing it taking off the old tint and some other things. I dont have any pictures of the interior, but it is clean, cloth interior, someone reupholstered it too

[Image: IMG_0769.jpg]
<a

[Image: IMAG0072.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0835.jpg]
This post was last modified: 11-14-2012, 12:38 AM by poleshady.
poleshady
11-14-2012, 12:12 AM #5

Sorry for the late reply, school has been keeping me busy(Mechanincal Engineering), But I will be moving back to Hawaii in december when I graduate.
I work for fried ride Hi (http://www.friedridehi.com) they sell conversion kits. I just made an electronic conversion kit that he has started selling, if you are interested in the WVO scene.

The car is just sitting at home right now, when i get back ill dive right into it. I think i have some pictures ill put up, but Ill take more in December.

How available are parts cars on the big island? We tend to get flooded, then hit dry spells on oahu. I have been keeping my eye out for a new turbo engine..

(10-21-2012, 10:40 PM)gill4321 Im from the big island and Im jealous of your euro 300D. I got 2 126 SD's and one !123 79' 300D. Im putting my 300D on a diet and putting in a turbo 617 and a 4 speed.

Alohas
Gill P

(10-22-2012, 08:34 AM)Simpler=Better I have never blown up a 617, but from what I've read the rods like ot bend above 2bar, and if you dump too much fuel without boost you can break stuff as well.

so 2 bar is your recommended max because of the rods? why do most say 1? what is their limiting factor?

Ill probably cut them first and see how they feel. Shipping to hawaii kills it, really makes things get expensive fast.

I will have plenty of time. I have already reamed the injectors, adjusted valves, brakes all the way around. and a few other things to get it running smoother. Ill probably have the engine on a stand for a while before the swap to do the timing chain, are there any threads to porting the heads and manifolds that you could direct me to?

Thanks again for all the other information

(10-22-2012, 10:45 AM)Greazzer Welcome aboard PoleShady,

5 speed, lucky.

The non turbo is ok, i bought it in AZ where it was at 7,000 feet, It definetly runs smoother and is more powerful at SL though.

Do you have links to threads to delete the PS and waterpump?

By all means hi-jack it, more information/ pictures cant hurt.

The first picture is when i just got it back to hawaii, the second is after buffing it taking off the old tint and some other things. I dont have any pictures of the interior, but it is clean, cloth interior, someone reupholstered it too

[Image: IMG_0769.jpg]
<a

[Image: IMAG0072.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0835.jpg]

sassparilla_kid
diesel &gt; all other fuels

11-14-2012, 02:22 AM #6
One sweet ride!!

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
11-14-2012, 02:22 AM #6

One sweet ride!!

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

Greazzer
Superturbo

11-14-2012, 08:42 AM #7
Howdy,

Good luck on the car --

I do have some pictures of the mechanical steering box, but no pictures of it installed other than it bolted up. The steering shaft is actually 47mm longer for the mechanical box so I am on the hunt for that. However, my 300D NA is actually headed off to the scrapyard shortly, probably this weekend. The PO did mention the word "rust" in his advertisement and he did comment that he could source and sell someone a donor car. There was other commentary about how the rockers, et cet were just fine. On the day of the sale, he commented that the jack points and some other parts were actually now rusty. I flew from S.C. to INDIANA to get the car, but he did look me square in the eye and said how mechanically sound the car was. From that description, I was supposed to glean and understand that the car was a total rust bucket and not safe to drive and not able to be fixed, or at least that is what a handful of contributors have posted on the forum. So, once the passenger seat was installed and fell and dropped 6" thru the floor, and the seat belt bolts could barely hold a cat in place, it's time to scrap her. And yes, I bought the car without a passenger seat and now I can see a very good reason why.

As for the EWP, same deal. I am put on hold since my project car "The Phoenix Project" has stalled and my current car and its engine is not worthy of the investment right now. It was represented to me that the engine had a rebuild about 65K miles ago. I did a compression test a few days ago where I got range in the ballpark of 305-330. I then had forum members attack me and claim that I am a dumbo (which is true) and basically I needed to do another compression test. Following the FSM procedures, I got my nephew who is also an engineer student at the REAL USC -- University of South Carolina and a Level III Mechanic for SC DOT currently which is the highest one can be in the Palmetto State. I actually had another forum member attack the Palmetto State. Because he is a professional mechanic, I assumed he would be capable of the task. He used a different gauge since that was suggested to. His results were not as generous as mine. Only one cylinder above 300. So, after 2 compression readings by 2 different people using 2 different gauages, I suspect my initial findings are correct.

So, sorry no help on the 300NA right now and you did give me permission to semi-hi jack your thread. I know certain folks might jump in and tell me how wrong I am to post the facts and being accurate is. It is what it is.

Greazzer
11-14-2012, 08:42 AM #7

Howdy,

Good luck on the car --

I do have some pictures of the mechanical steering box, but no pictures of it installed other than it bolted up. The steering shaft is actually 47mm longer for the mechanical box so I am on the hunt for that. However, my 300D NA is actually headed off to the scrapyard shortly, probably this weekend. The PO did mention the word "rust" in his advertisement and he did comment that he could source and sell someone a donor car. There was other commentary about how the rockers, et cet were just fine. On the day of the sale, he commented that the jack points and some other parts were actually now rusty. I flew from S.C. to INDIANA to get the car, but he did look me square in the eye and said how mechanically sound the car was. From that description, I was supposed to glean and understand that the car was a total rust bucket and not safe to drive and not able to be fixed, or at least that is what a handful of contributors have posted on the forum. So, once the passenger seat was installed and fell and dropped 6" thru the floor, and the seat belt bolts could barely hold a cat in place, it's time to scrap her. And yes, I bought the car without a passenger seat and now I can see a very good reason why.

As for the EWP, same deal. I am put on hold since my project car "The Phoenix Project" has stalled and my current car and its engine is not worthy of the investment right now. It was represented to me that the engine had a rebuild about 65K miles ago. I did a compression test a few days ago where I got range in the ballpark of 305-330. I then had forum members attack me and claim that I am a dumbo (which is true) and basically I needed to do another compression test. Following the FSM procedures, I got my nephew who is also an engineer student at the REAL USC -- University of South Carolina and a Level III Mechanic for SC DOT currently which is the highest one can be in the Palmetto State. I actually had another forum member attack the Palmetto State. Because he is a professional mechanic, I assumed he would be capable of the task. He used a different gauge since that was suggested to. His results were not as generous as mine. Only one cylinder above 300. So, after 2 compression readings by 2 different people using 2 different gauages, I suspect my initial findings are correct.

So, sorry no help on the 300NA right now and you did give me permission to semi-hi jack your thread. I know certain folks might jump in and tell me how wrong I am to post the facts and being accurate is. It is what it is.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

11-14-2012, 09:43 AM #8
I wan tot clarify on the head work-if you're already pulling the head go for it, otherwise don't bother. It's around $400 to rework the head (gaskets, bolts, seals, guides, shop to check the flatness).

As for most people saying 1 bar, that's about the limit of the stock turbo. If you swap in a larger modern turbo you should be fine to 2bar-I ran around at 18psi with my 2056V and it was fine.

For a little extra cheap power you can spray water/methanol-A budget system can be made for under $200 ($100 pump, $20 nozzle, $50 for connectors, tubing, wiring, tank, etc.)

Simpler=Better
11-14-2012, 09:43 AM #8

I wan tot clarify on the head work-if you're already pulling the head go for it, otherwise don't bother. It's around $400 to rework the head (gaskets, bolts, seals, guides, shop to check the flatness).

As for most people saying 1 bar, that's about the limit of the stock turbo. If you swap in a larger modern turbo you should be fine to 2bar-I ran around at 18psi with my 2056V and it was fine.

For a little extra cheap power you can spray water/methanol-A budget system can be made for under $200 ($100 pump, $20 nozzle, $50 for connectors, tubing, wiring, tank, etc.)

dieselmeken
Holset

11-14-2012, 01:31 PM #9
I did see a M-pump in your 617 engine, thats nice.
I did a small vacationtrip to Cyprus with a superpump in my luggage,
Fitted it to the engine, fired up with good result.
Maybee next vacation will bee Hawaii when you have put turbo on it?
dieselmeken
11-14-2012, 01:31 PM #9

I did see a M-pump in your 617 engine, thats nice.

poleshady
GTA2056V

11-14-2012, 07:38 PM #10
Thanks, ill have to look into the water/meth injection. Im not looking for a speed demon, but I do want to give those hondas and ricers a run for their money.
Ill keep reading about turbo swaps, and intercoolers. I just want a standard turbo, i think a variable geometry turbo is a little much for my first attempt. But it might be worth a try. What intake are you using on yours?

(11-14-2012, 01:31 PM)dieselmeken I did see a M-pump in your 617 engine, thats nice.
From what research I did, my car first came to the US in 1995, but the previous owner did away with the cool euro lights and a few other things. It has the pnuematic head light leveler control in the dash but its no use to me now..
Yeah its the m-pump, its the main reason why im keeping this one. I usually buy, clan them up, fix problems, and sell them for a little extra spending money while im in school.

ive read a little bit about installing the mpump on engines with the MW pump, and people have talked about supplying the IP with oil becuase they are different in some way, but havent gotten a definitive answer. Would you enlighten me?
poleshady
11-14-2012, 07:38 PM #10

Thanks, ill have to look into the water/meth injection. Im not looking for a speed demon, but I do want to give those hondas and ricers a run for their money.
Ill keep reading about turbo swaps, and intercoolers. I just want a standard turbo, i think a variable geometry turbo is a little much for my first attempt. But it might be worth a try. What intake are you using on yours?

(11-14-2012, 01:31 PM)dieselmeken I did see a M-pump in your 617 engine, thats nice.
From what research I did, my car first came to the US in 1995, but the previous owner did away with the cool euro lights and a few other things. It has the pnuematic head light leveler control in the dash but its no use to me now..
Yeah its the m-pump, its the main reason why im keeping this one. I usually buy, clan them up, fix problems, and sell them for a little extra spending money while im in school.

ive read a little bit about installing the mpump on engines with the MW pump, and people have talked about supplying the IP with oil becuase they are different in some way, but havent gotten a definitive answer. Would you enlighten me?

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

11-14-2012, 09:15 PM #11
I'm running a modified & ported stock turbo manifold-I had it and I was broke when I swapped turbos. Check out the build thread in my signature. Definitely not the best flowing. You can use the legendary W115 intake(last I saw they were going for $165+) or you can run the w123 NA intake IF you drop the turbo down using an adapter plate.

The M pump gets it's oil from the cam drive shaft, the MW gets it's oil from an external oil line that feeds to the side of the pump
This post was last modified: 11-14-2012, 09:17 PM by Simpler=Better.

Simpler=Better
11-14-2012, 09:15 PM #11

I'm running a modified & ported stock turbo manifold-I had it and I was broke when I swapped turbos. Check out the build thread in my signature. Definitely not the best flowing. You can use the legendary W115 intake(last I saw they were going for $165+) or you can run the w123 NA intake IF you drop the turbo down using an adapter plate.

The M pump gets it's oil from the cam drive shaft, the MW gets it's oil from an external oil line that feeds to the side of the pump

poleshady
GTA2056V

05-19-2013, 12:27 AM #12
i finally got my project started, got an engine today.
life happens and money is tight so no super pump for me yet, just tuning exhaust injectors and so on.
heres the engine i think its off an 84 300d, the guy i got it from wasnt sure what year, but it has things on it ive never seen or noticed on other cars, like the extra port and block on the turbo inlet side.

and the box between the injection pump and the block.

and the vacuum hose (i think) going to the injection pump.

can i work around these things?

and the turbo looks like it might have eaten something during its life, some little nicks on the leading edges of the comp wheel. but there doesnt seem to be any play, should i run it hard as is? or jut buy a new turbo, or even bother to rebuild it, its almost cheaper to buy a hx35 or something?

poleshady
05-19-2013, 12:27 AM #12

i finally got my project started, got an engine today.
life happens and money is tight so no super pump for me yet, just tuning exhaust injectors and so on.
heres the engine i think its off an 84 300d, the guy i got it from wasnt sure what year, but it has things on it ive never seen or noticed on other cars, like the extra port and block on the turbo inlet side.

and the box between the injection pump and the block.

and the vacuum hose (i think) going to the injection pump.

can i work around these things?

and the turbo looks like it might have eaten something during its life, some little nicks on the leading edges of the comp wheel. but there doesnt seem to be any play, should i run it hard as is? or jut buy a new turbo, or even bother to rebuild it, its almost cheaper to buy a hx35 or something?

larsalan
Superturbo

05-19-2013, 01:04 AM #13
That crazy block thing between the pump and block is some dumb emissions crap, does nothing.
That 'vacumm line' is an oil line for crankcase oil to the pump.
I would say a nicked up turbo impeller is not good. But you can run it depending on budget. Them things spin at like 100,000rpm so a little unbalanced does quite the harm.

If you're going for a powered up 617 a 'super pump' will free you of that shitty emissions thinger.
And a big turbo will be in order anyway so that'll take care or that too.
In the meantime you can make a block off plate and rtv it in place to block any egr. Exhaust gas re-circulation, that corrugated pipe from the exhaust mani to the intake mani can use a piece of 1/8in steel by the intake side.

Keep searching and reading here and you'll see all what can be done and what's feasible.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
05-19-2013, 01:04 AM #13

That crazy block thing between the pump and block is some dumb emissions crap, does nothing.
That 'vacumm line' is an oil line for crankcase oil to the pump.
I would say a nicked up turbo impeller is not good. But you can run it depending on budget. Them things spin at like 100,000rpm so a little unbalanced does quite the harm.

If you're going for a powered up 617 a 'super pump' will free you of that shitty emissions thinger.
And a big turbo will be in order anyway so that'll take care or that too.
In the meantime you can make a block off plate and rtv it in place to block any egr. Exhaust gas re-circulation, that corrugated pipe from the exhaust mani to the intake mani can use a piece of 1/8in steel by the intake side.

Keep searching and reading here and you'll see all what can be done and what's feasible.

poleshady
GTA2056V

05-19-2013, 01:34 AM #14
So I can just plug off that box?

What is that extra block on the top of the turbo? Not the one that goes to the waste gate

I am planning in doing an egr delete also

I'll pressure was the engine tomorrow to get a better look at things
poleshady
05-19-2013, 01:34 AM #14

So I can just plug off that box?

What is that extra block on the top of the turbo? Not the one that goes to the waste gate

I am planning in doing an egr delete also

I'll pressure was the engine tomorrow to get a better look at things

larsalan
Superturbo

05-19-2013, 08:22 AM #15
I that box just has a wire coming off of it if I recall. You can't really remove the box unless you had a plate to cover the void.
The box on the top of the turbo to the wategate sounds like the alda. You can surely read more on that part here and there. Mine is deleted.

larsalan
05-19-2013, 08:22 AM #15

I that box just has a wire coming off of it if I recall. You can't really remove the box unless you had a plate to cover the void.
The box on the top of the turbo to the wategate sounds like the alda. You can surely read more on that part here and there. Mine is deleted.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

05-19-2013, 09:07 PM #16
A modern-designed turbo will be more efficient, and can give you more boost. A variable vane turbo can be setup to spool really fast. I'd ask around to see what people recommend.

Simpler=Better
05-19-2013, 09:07 PM #16

A modern-designed turbo will be more efficient, and can give you more boost. A variable vane turbo can be setup to spool really fast. I'd ask around to see what people recommend.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

05-20-2013, 10:34 AM #17
If that turbo's comp wheel is knicked, I'd throw it over the hill. (not literally, just sell it)
Get something like a he221, hx25, hx27, hx30, or even a BW s100 or s200. HX35 will be too big unless you get dieselmeken to make you a pump soon.
DieselBoy ran a hy35 on his and didn't seem to mind it too much even with a stock pump.
I am getting ready to put a hx30 on mine, if it works well i will let you know!

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
05-20-2013, 10:34 AM #17

If that turbo's comp wheel is knicked, I'd throw it over the hill. (not literally, just sell it)
Get something like a he221, hx25, hx27, hx30, or even a BW s100 or s200. HX35 will be too big unless you get dieselmeken to make you a pump soon.
DieselBoy ran a hy35 on his and didn't seem to mind it too much even with a stock pump.

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin

poleshady
GTA2056V

05-20-2013, 02:50 PM #18
(05-20-2013, 10:34 AM)MFSuper90 If that turbo's comp wheel is knicked, I'd throw it over the hill. (not literally, just sell it)

thanks ill look into those, and pricing and all that.

ill keep any eye out to see how your hx30 works

(05-20-2013, 10:34 AM)MFSuper90 If that turbo's comp wheel is knicked, I'd throw it over the hill. (not literally, just sell it)

also what did you pay for you hx30, and where did you get it? ive seen some in ebay for less than $300, but then some are quite a bit more, is there something missing from the cheapo ones that im not seeing?
This post was last modified: 05-20-2013, 03:08 PM by poleshady.
poleshady
05-20-2013, 02:50 PM #18

thanks ill look into those, and pricing and all that.

ill keep any eye out to see how your hx30 works

also what did you pay for you hx30, and where did you get it? ive seen some in ebay for less than $300, but then some are quite a bit more, is there something missing from the cheapo ones that im not seeing?

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

05-20-2013, 07:03 PM #19
Bought mine off of 4btswaps.com, for $275. (too much considering the guy had no idea what radial play was) I had to rebuild it, which is only about $50 and easy installation.
Winmutt just sold his for around $300 and it didn't need rebuilt.
You just have to be careful that the cheapo ones are actual holsets and not chinese knockoffs. If they are genuine holsets and they are really cheap, they probably need rebuilt, which is no big deal as long as the bearing bore and the shaft don't need machined.

MFSuper90
05-20-2013, 07:03 PM #19

Bought mine off of 4btswaps.com, for $275. (too much considering the guy had no idea what radial play was) I had to rebuild it, which is only about $50 and easy installation.
You just have to be careful that the cheapo ones are actual holsets and not chinese knockoffs. If they are genuine holsets and they are really cheap, they probably need rebuilt, which is no big deal as long as the bearing bore and the shaft don't need machined.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

05-21-2013, 08:55 AM #20
(05-20-2013, 07:03 PM)MFSuper90 Bought mine off of 4btswaps.com, for $275. (too much considering the guy had no idea what radial play was) I had to rebuild it, which is only about $50 and easy installation.

You're from PA aren't you?

Simpler=Better
05-21-2013, 08:55 AM #20

(05-20-2013, 07:03 PM)MFSuper90 Bought mine off of 4btswaps.com, for $275. (too much considering the guy had no idea what radial play was) I had to rebuild it, which is only about $50 and easy installation.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

05-21-2013, 11:32 AM #21
(05-21-2013, 08:55 AM)Simpler=Better

SE Ohio. 2-3 hours from PA

MFSuper90
05-21-2013, 11:32 AM #21

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

05-21-2013, 11:44 AM #22
(05-21-2013, 11:32 AM)MFSuper90

The accent is very similar then Smile

Simpler=Better
05-21-2013, 11:44 AM #22

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

05-21-2013, 11:53 AM #23
(05-21-2013, 11:44 AM)Simpler=Better
(05-21-2013, 08:55 AM)Simpler=Better You're from PA aren't you?

You can't even hear me! Big Grin

MFSuper90
05-21-2013, 11:53 AM #23

(05-21-2013, 11:44 AM)Simpler=Better
(05-21-2013, 08:55 AM)Simpler=Better You're from PA aren't you?

You can't even hear me! Big Grin

poleshady
GTA2056V

05-30-2013, 02:36 AM #24
i finally got most of my parts in. bust some issues already.

got the replacement impeller from mercedes source. and it has a bunch of little balls on the blades.. it kinda resembles slag from welding, so they are sending me a new one.
[attachment=6494]

i had to do lower ball joints, upper control arms tie rods, rented a press from checkers. i screwed up one new ball joint so it ended up taking 3 to get the job done. i used a 4 pound sledge hammer and a pole welded to a 45lb plate.

afterwards i took it to firestone to get it aligned, those jackasses! took them over night to do it. didnt get it back till noon today and it still pulls to the right, i guess im going back tomorrow to complain or get my money back. they also refused to balance the tires, the inside edges are worn cause the alignment was out of whack before, but tread is still there, the tires still have 8 or 10 thousand miles left on them.

also my brother in law, bought back my old wagon from the guy i sold it to, it was leaking diesel out of the drain plug in the tank, couldnt find a big enough allen wrench, so i rummaged through the old nuts and bolts and found a nut from yesterdays ball joint job that fit in the drain, welded another nut to it, and bam! made a free tool

also, got the timing chain tensioner and rails, ill see how motivated i am to change the rails/guides, from what ive seen it looks like a pain. is it worth all the work?
This post was last modified: 05-30-2013, 02:43 AM by poleshady.
poleshady
05-30-2013, 02:36 AM #24

i finally got most of my parts in. bust some issues already.

got the replacement impeller from mercedes source. and it has a bunch of little balls on the blades.. it kinda resembles slag from welding, so they are sending me a new one.
[attachment=6494]

i had to do lower ball joints, upper control arms tie rods, rented a press from checkers. i screwed up one new ball joint so it ended up taking 3 to get the job done. i used a 4 pound sledge hammer and a pole welded to a 45lb plate.

afterwards i took it to firestone to get it aligned, those jackasses! took them over night to do it. didnt get it back till noon today and it still pulls to the right, i guess im going back tomorrow to complain or get my money back. they also refused to balance the tires, the inside edges are worn cause the alignment was out of whack before, but tread is still there, the tires still have 8 or 10 thousand miles left on them.

also my brother in law, bought back my old wagon from the guy i sold it to, it was leaking diesel out of the drain plug in the tank, couldnt find a big enough allen wrench, so i rummaged through the old nuts and bolts and found a nut from yesterdays ball joint job that fit in the drain, welded another nut to it, and bam! made a free tool

also, got the timing chain tensioner and rails, ill see how motivated i am to change the rails/guides, from what ive seen it looks like a pain. is it worth all the work?

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

05-30-2013, 08:40 AM #25
Check your chain stretch, and visually inspect the tensioner rail if you can shine a light down in there. At least I would throw a new spring into the chain tensioner (it's cheap and fairly easy).

Simpler=Better
05-30-2013, 08:40 AM #25

Check your chain stretch, and visually inspect the tensioner rail if you can shine a light down in there. At least I would throw a new spring into the chain tensioner (it's cheap and fairly easy).

poleshady
GTA2056V

05-30-2013, 03:50 PM #26
(05-30-2013, 08:40 AM)Simpler=Better Check your chain stretch, and visually inspect the tensioner rail if you can shine a light down in there. At least I would throw a new spring into the chain tensioner (it's cheap and fairly easy).

well, my tensioner didnt come with a spring so, i guess im SOL on that one. i had to special order it through a mercedes shop.

And i cant really check the stretch because the pointer that shows the degrees of the engine is missing. someone took it off, you can see in the grease where it was, but its long gone now..
poleshady
05-30-2013, 03:50 PM #26

(05-30-2013, 08:40 AM)Simpler=Better Check your chain stretch, and visually inspect the tensioner rail if you can shine a light down in there. At least I would throw a new spring into the chain tensioner (it's cheap and fairly easy).

well, my tensioner didnt come with a spring so, i guess im SOL on that one. i had to special order it through a mercedes shop.

And i cant really check the stretch because the pointer that shows the degrees of the engine is missing. someone took it off, you can see in the grease where it was, but its long gone now..

larsalan
Superturbo

05-30-2013, 05:09 PM #27
I believe the procedure for checking chain stretch can use some alignment marks on the cam.
is this a good thread?
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/dies...sults.html
I dont really have time to read this shit. My apologies for any disinformation.

larsalan
05-30-2013, 05:09 PM #27

I believe the procedure for checking chain stretch can use some alignment marks on the cam.
is this a good thread?
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/dies...sults.html
I dont really have time to read this shit. My apologies for any disinformation.

poleshady
GTA2056V

05-30-2013, 05:47 PM #28
Ive read that one still need the crank marker to compare the degrees.

does anyone know where to get one of those chain press tools?

also how do you keep the master link from coming off when you run it through the engine and seperating? it doesnt have any chanels in it to put an e clip or anything like that.
poleshady
05-30-2013, 05:47 PM #28

Ive read that one still need the crank marker to compare the degrees.

does anyone know where to get one of those chain press tools?

also how do you keep the master link from coming off when you run it through the engine and seperating? it doesnt have any chanels in it to put an e clip or anything like that.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

05-30-2013, 07:14 PM #29
Guys on peachparts will rent you out the official MB chain tool. It's like $25 + shipping + deposit

Simpler=Better
05-30-2013, 07:14 PM #29

Guys on peachparts will rent you out the official MB chain tool. It's like $25 + shipping + deposit

poleshady
GTA2056V

05-31-2013, 05:29 AM #30
thanks, ill try find one locally, i doubt i will though

i replaced the nozzles today and pop tested them. but now none of the nozzles are centered in the injector housing. i dont know what the hell i did, i cant imagine that is how they are supposed to be. i didnt really pay attention to that before i took them apart
poleshady
05-31-2013, 05:29 AM #30

thanks, ill try find one locally, i doubt i will though

i replaced the nozzles today and pop tested them. but now none of the nozzles are centered in the injector housing. i dont know what the hell i did, i cant imagine that is how they are supposed to be. i didnt really pay attention to that before i took them apart

poleshady
GTA2056V

05-31-2013, 04:22 PM #31

poleshady
05-31-2013, 04:22 PM #31

larsalan
Superturbo

05-31-2013, 05:03 PM #32
yeah, that doesn't seem right

larsalan
05-31-2013, 05:03 PM #32

yeah, that doesn't seem right

poleshady
GTA2056V

06-01-2013, 12:18 AM #33
today i borrowed that little piece of metal that point to the degrees on the crank from a friends engine. and make a copy of it. looks ugly but should do the trick.

then i got bored and had some time on my hands and thought it would be a good idea to clean the valve cover one thing lead to another, sanding down to 600 grip was boring so i ended up brushing it witha brass wire wheel on a drill, it looks kinda cool.

This post was last modified: 06-01-2013, 12:22 AM by poleshady.
poleshady
06-01-2013, 12:18 AM #33

today i borrowed that little piece of metal that point to the degrees on the crank from a friends engine. and make a copy of it. looks ugly but should do the trick.

then i got bored and had some time on my hands and thought it would be a good idea to clean the valve cover one thing lead to another, sanding down to 600 grip was boring so i ended up brushing it witha brass wire wheel on a drill, it looks kinda cool.

poleshady
GTA2056V

06-03-2013, 04:39 AM #34
made an egr block off plate and welded the exhaust manifold closed with a couple thick washers.

also i took off the water pump, it was kinda rusty, but its pretty hard to turn, it turns smooth but there is quite a bit of drag, i cant imagine its supposed to be like that.

poleshady
06-03-2013, 04:39 AM #34

made an egr block off plate and welded the exhaust manifold closed with a couple thick washers.

also i took off the water pump, it was kinda rusty, but its pretty hard to turn, it turns smooth but there is quite a bit of drag, i cant imagine its supposed to be like that.

poleshady
GTA2056V

06-07-2013, 04:36 AM #35
put the heavy duty bisteiens in today. i like them so far, the old shocks were blown and had plenty of sqeuaks over bumps. front stayed about the same in ride hight and the read increased by about 1/2 inch
poleshady
06-07-2013, 04:36 AM #35

put the heavy duty bisteiens in today. i like them so far, the old shocks were blown and had plenty of sqeuaks over bumps. front stayed about the same in ride hight and the read increased by about 1/2 inch

poleshady
GTA2056V

07-06-2013, 12:25 AM #36
got the old engine out. need to figure out what to do about the fly wheel bolts and the pilot bearing, and get them match balanced.

poleshady
07-06-2013, 12:25 AM #36

got the old engine out. need to figure out what to do about the fly wheel bolts and the pilot bearing, and get them match balanced.

poleshady
GTA2056V

07-15-2013, 04:34 AM #37
had some free time this weekend, waiting for the machine shop to match balance the fly wheel.

made a heat sheild for the turbo, and put together the 8038 air filter set up

poleshady
07-15-2013, 04:34 AM #37

had some free time this weekend, waiting for the machine shop to match balance the fly wheel.

made a heat sheild for the turbo, and put together the 8038 air filter set up

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

07-15-2013, 08:09 AM #38
Looking good!

Simpler=Better
07-15-2013, 08:09 AM #38

Looking good!

poleshady
GTA2056V

07-30-2013, 11:00 PM #39
got the engine in this weekend, but no start, it would run at full throttle when being towed by another car. i figured out that i set it off by 5 degrees, they timing marks are missleading ( i just wasnt paying attention when i did it) set it between the 'T|0' mark and the 10 BTDC

so i will have to fly back to oahu some weekend in the future and finish it.

does anyone know where to buy just the master link for the timing chain? ive looked (briefly) an cant find one.

poleshady
07-30-2013, 11:00 PM #39

got the engine in this weekend, but no start, it would run at full throttle when being towed by another car. i figured out that i set it off by 5 degrees, they timing marks are missleading ( i just wasnt paying attention when i did it) set it between the 'T|0' mark and the 10 BTDC

so i will have to fly back to oahu some weekend in the future and finish it.

does anyone know where to buy just the master link for the timing chain? ive looked (briefly) an cant find one.

waz
GTA2056V

07-31-2013, 09:34 AM #40
Try AutohausAZ for the master link.
Looks like $3 plus shipping.

1993 300D 2.5L turbo. W124.128   2.5L 602.962
1991 350SD W126.134  Transplanted a 3.0L 603.961 into it.

waz
07-31-2013, 09:34 AM #40

Try AutohausAZ for the master link.

1993 300D 2.5L turbo. W124.128   2.5L 602.962
1991 350SD W126.134  Transplanted a 3.0L 603.961 into it.

Greazzer
Superturbo

07-31-2013, 02:57 PM #41

LOL ... I don't think I have seen an oval injector base until now. I will double check some injectors to make sure that's not normal. You must have some carbon buildup in the inside of the injector body for the nozzle to be cock-eyed.

Greazzer
07-31-2013, 02:57 PM #41

LOL ... I don't think I have seen an oval injector base until now. I will double check some injectors to make sure that's not normal. You must have some carbon buildup in the inside of the injector body for the nozzle to be cock-eyed.

poleshady
GTA2056V

07-31-2013, 11:26 PM #42
when i took them out a few days ago, i took out the shims i put in, so i need to re pop test them some time. But to get them centered i unscrewed them, rotated the nozzle screwed them down and repeated untill they got as centered they would get.

(07-31-2013, 09:34 AM)waz Try AutohausAZ for the master link.

Thanks for finding that, i bought 2 just in case
This post was last modified: 07-31-2013, 11:26 PM by poleshady.
poleshady
07-31-2013, 11:26 PM #42

when i took them out a few days ago, i took out the shims i put in, so i need to re pop test them some time. But to get them centered i unscrewed them, rotated the nozzle screwed them down and repeated untill they got as centered they would get.

(07-31-2013, 09:34 AM)waz Try AutohausAZ for the master link.

Thanks for finding that, i bought 2 just in case

poleshady
GTA2056V

08-19-2013, 03:37 AM #43
got it started today and drove around a bit. I finally figured out that i had the cam off by 180 degrees, took a few days to figure it out but oh well.

Ran good, it was nice to hear the turbo whistling away, ill try to make an exhaust for it tomorrow before i ship it on tuesday.
poleshady
08-19-2013, 03:37 AM #43

got it started today and drove around a bit. I finally figured out that i had the cam off by 180 degrees, took a few days to figure it out but oh well.

Ran good, it was nice to hear the turbo whistling away, ill try to make an exhaust for it tomorrow before i ship it on tuesday.

poleshady
GTA2056V

08-29-2013, 12:34 AM #44
i almost undid this entire engine swap,

i pulled into costco to get stuff and noticed a trail of oil and a huge puddle under my car. the oil pressure line busted, and pissed oil everywhere. It was about a gallon low, so i filled it up drove, refilled, drove refilled etc till i got home.

I bought 3 gallons of oil at costco. I traced it back to where the stream started, it was about 30 seconds worth of driving. I got super lucky that I stopped when I did.
poleshady
08-29-2013, 12:34 AM #44

i almost undid this entire engine swap,

i pulled into costco to get stuff and noticed a trail of oil and a huge puddle under my car. the oil pressure line busted, and pissed oil everywhere. It was about a gallon low, so i filled it up drove, refilled, drove refilled etc till i got home.

I bought 3 gallons of oil at costco. I traced it back to where the stream started, it was about 30 seconds worth of driving. I got super lucky that I stopped when I did.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average