STD Other Alt fuels reddy/torpedo heater on wvo?

reddy/torpedo heater on wvo?

reddy/torpedo heater on wvo?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

larsalan
Superturbo

10-08-2012, 01:26 AM #1
anybody know how this might work? I'm looking to get one on CL with the intention of running some WVO/kero in it. Not for like home heating or life sustaining heat just for outdoor work and stuff in the shed or whatever.

Well, I will prolly try and do it anyway so I'll post updates here Wink

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
10-08-2012, 01:26 AM #1

anybody know how this might work? I'm looking to get one on CL with the intention of running some WVO/kero in it. Not for like home heating or life sustaining heat just for outdoor work and stuff in the shed or whatever.

Well, I will prolly try and do it anyway so I'll post updates here Wink

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-08-2012, 09:02 AM #2
I've heard that it's not worth the effort blah blah blah but I don't see any reason you couldn't do it so long as the fuel was heated before you tried to light er up'

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
10-08-2012, 09:02 AM #2

I've heard that it's not worth the effort blah blah blah but I don't see any reason you couldn't do it so long as the fuel was heated before you tried to light er up'

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

larsalan
Superturbo

10-08-2012, 11:14 AM #3
I never dissected one to see how it even works. People are also selling those lantern shaped heaters. I dont know how all those work either. I guess some you just light a wick. I live out on a old little house and I am always working/playing outdoors.

I guess I need to hurry up and start looking at some. I called one guy today that wrote the ad like he was really motivated to get rid of his. Then talk to him and find out he's kinda waiting for a great trade or top $.

Like to know how this kinda iron lump works
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/clt/3312499164.html

might be a good place for some soybean oil
This post was last modified: 10-08-2012, 11:27 AM by larsalan.

larsalan
10-08-2012, 11:14 AM #3

I never dissected one to see how it even works. People are also selling those lantern shaped heaters. I dont know how all those work either. I guess some you just light a wick. I live out on a old little house and I am always working/playing outdoors.

I guess I need to hurry up and start looking at some. I called one guy today that wrote the ad like he was really motivated to get rid of his. Then talk to him and find out he's kinda waiting for a great trade or top $.

Like to know how this kinda iron lump works
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/clt/3312499164.html

might be a good place for some soybean oil

74Dusted
Naturally-aspirated

02-26-2016, 06:43 AM #4
I know this is an old topic, but this does work. Can't run one on straight WVO though, since they use a pair of electrodes as an ignitor (like an oil furnace does)

Anywhere from a 30/70 to 50/50 mix of Kerosene to WVO works well in a torpedo heater (aka Salamander / Reddy Heater). My dad and I used to run a large 300k BTU Salamander in the shop on a WVO mix, until it finally died of old age (the control panel died). That's when we converted an old oil furnace to run on Kero and WVO. At first we mixed a ratio of Kero/WVO and ran it like that, until we figured out how to run it on straight WVO.

Had to setup a preheater and an automatic dual fuel setup with dual nozzles. It would start up on Kero, and then once it fired it would switch over to straight WVO

'92 Dakota 4x4 : OM617/Auto/205
'84 D50 4x4 : 273/727/100/203 (former turbo diesel truck)
'73 Duster : Roots 6-71 Blown 340/833
74Dusted
02-26-2016, 06:43 AM #4

I know this is an old topic, but this does work. Can't run one on straight WVO though, since they use a pair of electrodes as an ignitor (like an oil furnace does)

Anywhere from a 30/70 to 50/50 mix of Kerosene to WVO works well in a torpedo heater (aka Salamander / Reddy Heater). My dad and I used to run a large 300k BTU Salamander in the shop on a WVO mix, until it finally died of old age (the control panel died). That's when we converted an old oil furnace to run on Kero and WVO. At first we mixed a ratio of Kero/WVO and ran it like that, until we figured out how to run it on straight WVO.

Had to setup a preheater and an automatic dual fuel setup with dual nozzles. It would start up on Kero, and then once it fired it would switch over to straight WVO

'92 Dakota 4x4 : OM617/Auto/205
'84 D50 4x4 : 273/727/100/203 (former turbo diesel truck)
'73 Duster : Roots 6-71 Blown 340/833

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average