STD Other Projects OM648 swap into a w123

OM648 swap into a w123

OM648 swap into a w123

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3
Jeepinaround
Unregistered

07-13-2020, 11:24 AM #101
So I know this is an old thread. Just wondered how your project ended up? I’m looking to put an OM648 in a Jeep. So I wouldn’t need to worry about mating two systems together. I’ll just mount CAN-Bus gauges in my flat dash. I’m trying to figure out what tranny to go with. I’d like to go with a 4L80e preferably or a 4L60e but open to suggestions for ease of controlling engine and tranny. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Jeepinaround
07-13-2020, 11:24 AM #101

So I know this is an old thread. Just wondered how your project ended up? I’m looking to put an OM648 in a Jeep. So I wouldn’t need to worry about mating two systems together. I’ll just mount CAN-Bus gauges in my flat dash. I’m trying to figure out what tranny to go with. I’d like to go with a 4L80e preferably or a 4L60e but open to suggestions for ease of controlling engine and tranny. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

a_l-1028
Naturally-aspirated

08-04-2021, 10:36 PM #102
I would stick with the 722.6 that comes with the engine. There is a standalone that works well with it and it makes up to the Rubicon transfer case for a very low 4x. 

The 6r80/6l80 is also a choice and maybe a little more attainable since they are currently being used behind a number of current vehicles. Bob bendsten makes adapters for the i6 to 6r80 and I believe the 6l80 as well. It may be worth a phone call to speedgems to see. 

Im currently in a similar swap and will not be wasting my time on any of the 4 speeds because the gearing is trash for a vehicle that will be off road, and after the cost of adapters and controllers you will already be at the same price of upgrading to newer tech. The zf6 that the 6r80/6l80 are based on comes with a 4.xx first gear and will give a perfect gear spread to keep your TD in the sweet spot on and off pavement.
a_l-1028
08-04-2021, 10:36 PM #102

I would stick with the 722.6 that comes with the engine. There is a standalone that works well with it and it makes up to the Rubicon transfer case for a very low 4x. 

The 6r80/6l80 is also a choice and maybe a little more attainable since they are currently being used behind a number of current vehicles. Bob bendsten makes adapters for the i6 to 6r80 and I believe the 6l80 as well. It may be worth a phone call to speedgems to see. 

Im currently in a similar swap and will not be wasting my time on any of the 4 speeds because the gearing is trash for a vehicle that will be off road, and after the cost of adapters and controllers you will already be at the same price of upgrading to newer tech. The zf6 that the 6r80/6l80 are based on comes with a 4.xx first gear and will give a perfect gear spread to keep your TD in the sweet spot on and off pavement.

TE27Levin
K26-2

08-07-2021, 01:52 PM #103
(08-04-2021, 10:36 PM)a_l-1028 I would stick with the 722.6 that comes with the engine. There is a standalone that works well with it and it makes up to the Rubicon transfer case for a very low 4x. 

I wish I went for the 6R80 as well. The 1st gear in my 4l65e is pretty decent but the gears are spread really far apart and it slips in 3rd gear at 35 psi. The 6R80 holds more power, and chances are you wont have to re gear your differentials as the extra gearing makes all the difference with your ratios in the transmission itself. I had to put 4.10s in mine so it revs like crazy on the highway which kinda kills the idea of the swap. Also reverse gear sucks in the 4l6x series transmissions. Mine will just sit there and smoke and not move when its cold.
TE27Levin
08-07-2021, 01:52 PM #103

(08-04-2021, 10:36 PM)a_l-1028 I would stick with the 722.6 that comes with the engine. There is a standalone that works well with it and it makes up to the Rubicon transfer case for a very low 4x. 

I wish I went for the 6R80 as well. The 1st gear in my 4l65e is pretty decent but the gears are spread really far apart and it slips in 3rd gear at 35 psi. The 6R80 holds more power, and chances are you wont have to re gear your differentials as the extra gearing makes all the difference with your ratios in the transmission itself. I had to put 4.10s in mine so it revs like crazy on the highway which kinda kills the idea of the swap. Also reverse gear sucks in the 4l6x series transmissions. Mine will just sit there and smoke and not move when its cold.

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average