STD Tuning Drivetrain Transmission Shift Modulator

Transmission Shift Modulator

Transmission Shift Modulator

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

bd1308
Naturally-aspirated

09-08-2012, 09:35 PM #1
Long time listener, first time poster...

I have a 84 300D that I drive somewhat frequently, and ever since I've bought it I've been having an issue where the transmission will shift somewhat harshly into gears. Not really noticing a huge mercedes diesel presence in Louisville,KY leads me to believe finding someone to help me figure out exactly what is going on or confirm my suspicions is going to be a bit challenging. However, using my vacuum pump (sears all-metal mityvac) I isolated the transmission modulator as a source to my problems. It's not pulling any vacuum. I get 22 from the pump, 15 from the VCV on the IP, and 0 from the modulator. I bought a new modulator, but either I need to drop the transmission or I need really really tiny hands to get everything out.

I saw a picture that looked like there was plenty of space between the shift modulator and the rest of the body of the car, but mine has about 1/2 inch of clearance between the modulator clamp bolts and the body of the car.

Any tricks? The only thing I have left is shock/motor/transmission mount replacement, transmission fluid/filter change and rear suspension (maybe). Trying to do what I can to keep this car on the road for a really long time.
bd1308
09-08-2012, 09:35 PM #1

Long time listener, first time poster...

I have a 84 300D that I drive somewhat frequently, and ever since I've bought it I've been having an issue where the transmission will shift somewhat harshly into gears. Not really noticing a huge mercedes diesel presence in Louisville,KY leads me to believe finding someone to help me figure out exactly what is going on or confirm my suspicions is going to be a bit challenging. However, using my vacuum pump (sears all-metal mityvac) I isolated the transmission modulator as a source to my problems. It's not pulling any vacuum. I get 22 from the pump, 15 from the VCV on the IP, and 0 from the modulator. I bought a new modulator, but either I need to drop the transmission or I need really really tiny hands to get everything out.

I saw a picture that looked like there was plenty of space between the shift modulator and the rest of the body of the car, but mine has about 1/2 inch of clearance between the modulator clamp bolts and the body of the car.

Any tricks? The only thing I have left is shock/motor/transmission mount replacement, transmission fluid/filter change and rear suspension (maybe). Trying to do what I can to keep this car on the road for a really long time.

w123love
Stockish

09-09-2012, 01:08 AM #2
Really just removing the trans mount should give you enough wiggle room to get to it. With the mount removed, the trans will drop a full 2” in the rear.
Its important to remember to remove the clips on the fan shroud up front b/c the whole engine will tilt and put pressure on it.

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN
w123love
09-09-2012, 01:08 AM #2

Really just removing the trans mount should give you enough wiggle room to get to it. With the mount removed, the trans will drop a full 2” in the rear.
Its important to remember to remove the clips on the fan shroud up front b/c the whole engine will tilt and put pressure on it.

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average