STD Other Open Off the wall idea - 2-stroke 617?

Off the wall idea - 2-stroke 617?

Off the wall idea - 2-stroke 617?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Secondaries
TA 0301

08-20-2012, 04:03 PM #1
I always toss this idea around in my head but usually dismiss it as too farfetched. But I figure I'd throw it in here for maybe a brainstorm session.

Is it possible to run an OM617 (or any other IDI/DI diesel motor) on a two stroke cycle? It seems that it might just be as easy as supercharging, then turning the cam and injection pump on a 1:1 gear instead of the usual 2:1 ratio. Maybe this idea wouldn't work with the stock cam, but one that has been designed with a two-stroke cycle in mind. That still doesn't sound that pricey considering the change in dynamics we're talking. I know there are 2-stroke diesels that don't use valves but also some that do.

So, is there any plausibility to this idea?

1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TD Turbo - 260k miles - Daily driver
1982 Yamaha XV920RJ - 9k miles - Currently in pieces

I have valve wrenches and timing tools for rent! PM for details!
Secondaries
08-20-2012, 04:03 PM #1

I always toss this idea around in my head but usually dismiss it as too farfetched. But I figure I'd throw it in here for maybe a brainstorm session.

Is it possible to run an OM617 (or any other IDI/DI diesel motor) on a two stroke cycle? It seems that it might just be as easy as supercharging, then turning the cam and injection pump on a 1:1 gear instead of the usual 2:1 ratio. Maybe this idea wouldn't work with the stock cam, but one that has been designed with a two-stroke cycle in mind. That still doesn't sound that pricey considering the change in dynamics we're talking. I know there are 2-stroke diesels that don't use valves but also some that do.

1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TD Turbo - 260k miles - Daily driver
1982 Yamaha XV920RJ - 9k miles - Currently in pieces

I have valve wrenches and timing tools for rent! PM for details!

Tmadia
K26-2

08-20-2012, 11:20 PM #2
The 2 stroke diesels that use valves also have ports around the perimeter of the base of the cylinder.

I've always thought it would be fun to convert the OM617 from indirect injection to direct injection by fitting a high pressure piezoelectric injector where the original injector and pre-chamber are.

(08-20-2012, 04:03 PM)Secondaries I always toss this idea around in my head but usually dismiss it as too farfetched. But I figure I'd throw it in here for maybe a brainstorm session.

'85 300CD
Tmadia
08-20-2012, 11:20 PM #2

The 2 stroke diesels that use valves also have ports around the perimeter of the base of the cylinder.

I've always thought it would be fun to convert the OM617 from indirect injection to direct injection by fitting a high pressure piezoelectric injector where the original injector and pre-chamber are.

(08-20-2012, 04:03 PM)Secondaries I always toss this idea around in my head but usually dismiss it as too farfetched. But I figure I'd throw it in here for maybe a brainstorm session.

'85 300CD

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average