STD Tuning Engine straight pipe 617?

straight pipe 617?

straight pipe 617?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Gearbound
In need of a OM606.96x

08-19-2012, 01:48 AM #1
Well i never thought id get to like this w123 300td but it growing on me...needless to say i like the sound of a diesel and the mufflers arent helping the raw sound of the turbo...so i know the mufflers and resonators are infact just straight threw with some holes that plug up nicely. so i figured why not replace then with same diameter pipe and put a turn down on it or a 3'' turn down

questions:
-it is worth it??(if i hear turbo whistle then yes)
-does it degrade performance
-why not have it just shortened and dump out right infront of the rear tire or behind the front one?
Thanks!
Gearbound
08-19-2012, 01:48 AM #1

Well i never thought id get to like this w123 300td but it growing on me...needless to say i like the sound of a diesel and the mufflers arent helping the raw sound of the turbo...so i know the mufflers and resonators are infact just straight threw with some holes that plug up nicely. so i figured why not replace then with same diameter pipe and put a turn down on it or a 3'' turn down

questions:
-why not have it just shortened and dump out right infront of the rear tire or behind the front one?
Thanks!

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

08-19-2012, 08:22 AM #2
(08-19-2012, 01:48 AM)Gearbound Well i never thought id get to like this w123 300td but it growing on me...needless to say i like the sound of a diesel and the mufflers arent helping the raw sound of the turbo...so i know the mufflers and resonators are infact just straight threw with some holes that plug up nicely. so i figured why not replace then with same diameter pipe and put a turn down on it or a 3'' turn down

questions:
Thanks!

Have it just shortened and dump out right in front of the rear tire or behind the front one! 3" if you have the time and money, I cut up my stock exhaust to make the side exit, and drilled & mounted an exhaust hanger to teh rear footwell

That's an order! You will need to install a boost controller or adjust your wastegate to adjust for the new exhaust pressure post-turbo. Besides the weight loss a straight pipe will drop your EGTs around 100* Smile

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
08-19-2012, 08:22 AM #2

(08-19-2012, 01:48 AM)Gearbound Well i never thought id get to like this w123 300td but it growing on me...needless to say i like the sound of a diesel and the mufflers arent helping the raw sound of the turbo...so i know the mufflers and resonators are infact just straight threw with some holes that plug up nicely. so i figured why not replace then with same diameter pipe and put a turn down on it or a 3'' turn down

questions:
Thanks!

Have it just shortened and dump out right in front of the rear tire or behind the front one! 3" if you have the time and money, I cut up my stock exhaust to make the side exit, and drilled & mounted an exhaust hanger to teh rear footwell

That's an order! You will need to install a boost controller or adjust your wastegate to adjust for the new exhaust pressure post-turbo. Besides the weight loss a straight pipe will drop your EGTs around 100* Smile

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

08-19-2012, 10:57 AM #3
Its definitely worth it, boost will build quite a bit quicker = more acceleration, and the car will sound more awesome = more acceleration

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
08-19-2012, 10:57 AM #3

Its definitely worth it, boost will build quite a bit quicker = more acceleration, and the car will sound more awesome = more acceleration

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )

larsalan
Superturbo

08-19-2012, 03:12 PM #4
<thread hijack>
I love my straight exhaust but in the interest of always modifying stuff..
I was wondering if it would be any use to shape it like those fancy tips they're putting on pickups nowadays.
You know where they have like fins, slots, slits or whatever in them so they seem like ram air or whatever would help scavenge off exhaust.

like this is one kind, you can't see it in the pic but where the front of that tip is open and would have fresh apparent wind scavenging exhaust fumes out.
or so I imagine
[Image: 07_SilveradoDmax_terminatorlugs.JPG]
</thread hijack>

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
08-19-2012, 03:12 PM #4

<thread hijack>
I love my straight exhaust but in the interest of always modifying stuff..
I was wondering if it would be any use to shape it like those fancy tips they're putting on pickups nowadays.
You know where they have like fins, slots, slits or whatever in them so they seem like ram air or whatever would help scavenge off exhaust.

like this is one kind, you can't see it in the pic but where the front of that tip is open and would have fresh apparent wind scavenging exhaust fumes out.
or so I imagine
[Image: 07_SilveradoDmax_terminatorlugs.JPG]
</thread hijack>

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'

rmd2k1
K26-2

08-19-2012, 04:47 PM #5
The "fancy tips" they are putting on trucks now, like the Gm duramax exhaust you have pictured are for helping cool the exhaust and exhaust gases when they perform a regen of the diesel particulate filter.

As far as straight piping the exhaust I would say go for it. I did a 3 inch exhaust from the down pipe back and had it exit in front of the left rear tire. I have to clean the rim every so often but that's easy to deal with for the sound and bit of performance difference.
rmd2k1
08-19-2012, 04:47 PM #5

The "fancy tips" they are putting on trucks now, like the Gm duramax exhaust you have pictured are for helping cool the exhaust and exhaust gases when they perform a regen of the diesel particulate filter.

As far as straight piping the exhaust I would say go for it. I did a 3 inch exhaust from the down pipe back and had it exit in front of the left rear tire. I have to clean the rim every so often but that's easy to deal with for the sound and bit of performance difference.

fordheaded
K26-2

08-19-2012, 09:16 PM #6
In the interest of saving money,I decided to make my own stainless exhaust. First one was straight through 2.5" with a 3" for the last 3 feet and a downturn. All sanitary pipe, since I saved it from the scrapyard. Drove that for 2 weeks before the drone at 70mph got to me. Had to put a resonator in line,(made that too) to bring the noise to a different quality. Drone at 70 is tolerable now, but the volume is just so cool on the freeway, plus upper end performance improvement increased remarkably!!!! i'd say go for it, you won't regret it!!
fordheaded
08-19-2012, 09:16 PM #6

In the interest of saving money,I decided to make my own stainless exhaust. First one was straight through 2.5" with a 3" for the last 3 feet and a downturn. All sanitary pipe, since I saved it from the scrapyard. Drove that for 2 weeks before the drone at 70mph got to me. Had to put a resonator in line,(made that too) to bring the noise to a different quality. Drone at 70 is tolerable now, but the volume is just so cool on the freeway, plus upper end performance improvement increased remarkably!!!! i'd say go for it, you won't regret it!!

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

08-20-2012, 11:08 AM #7
They use these exhaust tips to cool the exhaust to help cut down on grass fires.

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
08-20-2012, 11:08 AM #7

They use these exhaust tips to cool the exhaust to help cut down on grass fires.

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

Gearbound
In need of a OM606.96x

08-20-2012, 11:48 AM #8
Simple=better

so how about i make it 3'' after stock downpipe and side exit infront of rear passanger? i'll have an exhaust shop install it so it will be faster-cheaper if they just cut it off from the DP and go 3'' back.
As for the Manual boost controller and egt where did yall get those nifty 3 gauge pods for on the dash that have egt,boost,and __?__ gauge
This w123 is still stock other than alda back out and a vacuum line missing to the transmisson and also missing vacuum lines to egr.
Thanks for the responses!!
Gearbound
08-20-2012, 11:48 AM #8

Simple=better

so how about i make it 3'' after stock downpipe and side exit infront of rear passanger? i'll have an exhaust shop install it so it will be faster-cheaper if they just cut it off from the DP and go 3'' back.
As for the Manual boost controller and egt where did yall get those nifty 3 gauge pods for on the dash that have egt,boost,and __?__ gauge
This w123 is still stock other than alda back out and a vacuum line missing to the transmisson and also missing vacuum lines to egr.
Thanks for the responses!!

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

08-20-2012, 12:36 PM #9
A VW gauge pod will give you 3 spots for gauges where the ashtray used to go (no idea on part number or source)

You can always cut out two circles from the ash tray cover and make it into a gauge pod.

The ones that go on the dash are generic-you can get them on ebay.

The cheapest straight pipe route is to have the muffler shop replace the resonator and muffler with sections of pipe

Simpler=Better
08-20-2012, 12:36 PM #9

A VW gauge pod will give you 3 spots for gauges where the ashtray used to go (no idea on part number or source)

You can always cut out two circles from the ash tray cover and make it into a gauge pod.

The ones that go on the dash are generic-you can get them on ebay.

The cheapest straight pipe route is to have the muffler shop replace the resonator and muffler with sections of pipe

Gearbound
In need of a OM606.96x

08-20-2012, 12:55 PM #10
and the egt,boost gauge? im going to get the resonator and muffler replaced now. when i get back ill order the manual boost controller and the egt u recommend.
Gearbound
08-20-2012, 12:55 PM #10

and the egt,boost gauge? im going to get the resonator and muffler replaced now. when i get back ill order the manual boost controller and the egt u recommend.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

08-20-2012, 02:03 PM #11
There is a plugged port near the back of the intake manifold, it's got a british thread but a NPT 1/8 will fit.

If you can take the turbo off it's best to put the EGT probe pre turbo, then you can safely start playing with the pump.

Simpler=Better
08-20-2012, 02:03 PM #11

There is a plugged port near the back of the intake manifold, it's got a british thread but a NPT 1/8 will fit.

If you can take the turbo off it's best to put the EGT probe pre turbo, then you can safely start playing with the pump.

bryant.cw
Naturally-aspirated

08-20-2012, 04:21 PM #12
Huh, I always figured those 'fancy exhaust tips' were just so that if you were on the job site and backed into some dirt or something it wouldn't plug the exhuast.

I straight piped my 617a swapped G wagon. 2.5" the whole length, exits out the back like normal. Sounds throaty but not crazy loud and yes you can hear the turbo whistle. I originally had the exhaust only about 3 feet long from where I cut it off of the donor car before I got to the exhaust shop. The turbo whistle was much louder, but god it sounded awful. Droney and stupid loud. I wouldn't make the exhaust too short if I were you.

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_ind.asp?Type=...N=150-1042 This is a good gauge and comes with the fittings you will need.
This post was last modified: 08-20-2012, 04:38 PM by bryant.cw.
bryant.cw
08-20-2012, 04:21 PM #12

Huh, I always figured those 'fancy exhaust tips' were just so that if you were on the job site and backed into some dirt or something it wouldn't plug the exhuast.

I straight piped my 617a swapped G wagon. 2.5" the whole length, exits out the back like normal. Sounds throaty but not crazy loud and yes you can hear the turbo whistle. I originally had the exhaust only about 3 feet long from where I cut it off of the donor car before I got to the exhaust shop. The turbo whistle was much louder, but god it sounded awful. Droney and stupid loud. I wouldn't make the exhaust too short if I were you.

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_ind.asp?Type=...N=150-1042 This is a good gauge and comes with the fittings you will need.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

08-20-2012, 07:50 PM #13
My stock Garrett turbo took like 5 years to spin down, it sounded amazing. It would honestly freewheel AFTER shutdown if I gave it a quick spin before shutdown.

Simpler=Better
08-20-2012, 07:50 PM #13

My stock Garrett turbo took like 5 years to spin down, it sounded amazing. It would honestly freewheel AFTER shutdown if I gave it a quick spin before shutdown.

Gearbound
In need of a OM606.96x

08-20-2012, 11:52 PM #14
Well i had them cut off the exhaust back to where the E-cable has the adjuster in the driveshaft tunnel back and i kept the muffler, there was no resonator(so i was told) and 3'' exhaust welded up to dump infront of drivers rear tire. so its like 3.5' of 3'' and the rest is the stock system.

results:
loud,obnoxious,sometimes deafening,draws lots of attention, off idle smoke more noticeable.
Its not bad if your screwing off and want noise and SOME Sad turbo spool, which it will continue to spool("freewheel") for a good 30-50 seconds after shutdown. no significant performance results. i have not drove any interstate yet for sustained upper rpm for the "drone" that it may have now. but it sounds wicked when u hammer (L) range then bump it to (S) range on the transmission.(I dont think kickdown s/w works) no idea on rpms due to the tach dont work but id guess 4600-5000 it sounds like a big motor.

$51 for one boost gauge? yikes!
Gearbound
08-20-2012, 11:52 PM #14

Well i had them cut off the exhaust back to where the E-cable has the adjuster in the driveshaft tunnel back and i kept the muffler, there was no resonator(so i was told) and 3'' exhaust welded up to dump infront of drivers rear tire. so its like 3.5' of 3'' and the rest is the stock system.

results:
loud,obnoxious,sometimes deafening,draws lots of attention, off idle smoke more noticeable.
Its not bad if your screwing off and want noise and SOME Sad turbo spool, which it will continue to spool("freewheel") for a good 30-50 seconds after shutdown. no significant performance results. i have not drove any interstate yet for sustained upper rpm for the "drone" that it may have now. but it sounds wicked when u hammer (L) range then bump it to (S) range on the transmission.(I dont think kickdown s/w works) no idea on rpms due to the tach dont work but id guess 4600-5000 it sounds like a big motor.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

08-21-2012, 08:34 AM #15
(08-20-2012, 11:52 PM)Gearbound loud,obnoxious,sometimes deafening,draws lots of attention,

no significant performance results.

If it's too loud a turndown tip or a little bit of baffling might help, or both

You won't notice any performance gains until you add a boost controller. You can make one pretty cheaply, or just buy one for like $15 on the bay

I for a VDO boost gauge with tubing for like $30, look around on eb@y

Simpler=Better
08-21-2012, 08:34 AM #15

(08-20-2012, 11:52 PM)Gearbound loud,obnoxious,sometimes deafening,draws lots of attention,

no significant performance results.

If it's too loud a turndown tip or a little bit of baffling might help, or both

You won't notice any performance gains until you add a boost controller. You can make one pretty cheaply, or just buy one for like $15 on the bay

I for a VDO boost gauge with tubing for like $30, look around on eb@y

led-panzer
Holset

08-21-2012, 11:36 AM #16
Haha, you would really hate mine, its just a 3" dia turn down 16" long. Sounds like a tank. It is starting to wear thin on me though I've just been too lazy to take it and get the exhaust done

1984 300D 4-speed ~200,000 miles
7.5mm M-pump, GT3582 turbo, F-Tune Performance intake/exhaust manifolds, A/A intercooler, 315 nozzles, Enlarged prechambers, Bosch 044 feed pump, Custom lightweight flywheel with 240mm clutch, Lowered, 17" AMG rims - 300 hp OM617 project
1985 300D 280,000 miles RIP
2001 F350 7.3 DP tuner, 4"exhaust, S&B intake
led-panzer
08-21-2012, 11:36 AM #16

Haha, you would really hate mine, its just a 3" dia turn down 16" long. Sounds like a tank. It is starting to wear thin on me though I've just been too lazy to take it and get the exhaust done

1984 300D 4-speed ~200,000 miles
7.5mm M-pump, GT3582 turbo, F-Tune Performance intake/exhaust manifolds, A/A intercooler, 315 nozzles, Enlarged prechambers, Bosch 044 feed pump, Custom lightweight flywheel with 240mm clutch, Lowered, 17" AMG rims - 300 hp OM617 project
1985 300D 280,000 miles RIP
2001 F350 7.3 DP tuner, 4"exhaust, S&B intake

sassparilla_kid
diesel &gt; all other fuels

08-21-2012, 01:15 PM #17
(08-20-2012, 11:52 PM)Gearbound 3'' exhaust welded up to dump infront of drivers rear tire.

If it went out the back with a turn down tip it would be MUCH quieter! Tongue

sassparilla_kid
08-21-2012, 01:15 PM #17

(08-20-2012, 11:52 PM)Gearbound 3'' exhaust welded up to dump infront of drivers rear tire.

If it went out the back with a turn down tip it would be MUCH quieter! Tongue

Gearbound
In need of a OM606.96x

08-21-2012, 06:36 PM #18
And the egt? so the boost controller...what size line from the british fitting on the intake manifold to the gauge?
Gearbound
08-21-2012, 06:36 PM #18

And the egt? so the boost controller...what size line from the british fitting on the intake manifold to the gauge?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average