STD Tuning Brakes Parking brake broke? wtf??

Parking brake broke? wtf??

Parking brake broke? wtf??

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

08-15-2012, 04:34 PM #1
Soooo my dad's w123 had the rear passenger wheel lock up the other day while driving, had to get it towed home. I just got around to looking at it a little earlier, thought maybe it was something with the differential, then noticed the cv boots were all cracked and thought maybe one ran out of grease and seized up, but that wasn't it either.

I noticed the hub turns without any lug bolts in it, or at least not in it all the way. I pulled the caliper off, and then the rotor, and noticed the bolt is hitting on this thing (picture is more or less from the bottom looking up)

It looks like part of the mechanism for the parking brake, but I can't find any diagrams to find more about it

I measured the clearance as best I could between it and the back of the hub or whatever (where the lug bolts come through) and it is ~.28". I don't really feel like taking the other side off right now to compare with, because it is warm outside (hell would be a day in the park compared to this heat) and I am a little tired from working 12 hour days 7 days a week

There is also a bite or chunk taken out where the bolt hit it.

SO my guess is that this thing broke and moved inside of the hub while driving, causing the lug bolts to collide with it and lock the wheel up?? That or the lug bolts grew in length, which seems pretty unlikely.

Can anybody tell me more about this thing, or any procedure on how to change out the parking brake mechanisms and stuff, I can't really seem to find anything other than changing the shoes

Thanks folks
This post was last modified: 08-15-2012, 04:34 PM by sassparilla_kid.

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
08-15-2012, 04:34 PM #1

Soooo my dad's w123 had the rear passenger wheel lock up the other day while driving, had to get it towed home. I just got around to looking at it a little earlier, thought maybe it was something with the differential, then noticed the cv boots were all cracked and thought maybe one ran out of grease and seized up, but that wasn't it either.

I noticed the hub turns without any lug bolts in it, or at least not in it all the way. I pulled the caliper off, and then the rotor, and noticed the bolt is hitting on this thing (picture is more or less from the bottom looking up)

It looks like part of the mechanism for the parking brake, but I can't find any diagrams to find more about it

I measured the clearance as best I could between it and the back of the hub or whatever (where the lug bolts come through) and it is ~.28". I don't really feel like taking the other side off right now to compare with, because it is warm outside (hell would be a day in the park compared to this heat) and I am a little tired from working 12 hour days 7 days a week

There is also a bite or chunk taken out where the bolt hit it.

SO my guess is that this thing broke and moved inside of the hub while driving, causing the lug bolts to collide with it and lock the wheel up?? That or the lug bolts grew in length, which seems pretty unlikely.

Can anybody tell me more about this thing, or any procedure on how to change out the parking brake mechanisms and stuff, I can't really seem to find anything other than changing the shoes

Thanks folks

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )

Hercules
GT2559V

08-16-2012, 12:52 AM #2
Measure how far the lug bolts stick through the drive hub.Seems like bolts poss.too long. ( Rim change).
Too long of lug bolt might not hit intill parking brake left on some while moving or applied while moving.
If center section of apply lever is free ,may still be ok.
To remove shoes,pop off lower spring,remove shoe hold ins(Push in turn 1/4 turn) may need to attempt several times. Hole in hub for this On
re installing,Avoid using needle nose pliers on that lower spring could lose an eye!!!!
Never seen one of these brake,almost bullet prof . Should keep shoes adjusted up at maintenance levels. Also ck free movement of parking cable, lever and spring return,(under rear of car). Happy rolling.
Hercules
08-16-2012, 12:52 AM #2

Measure how far the lug bolts stick through the drive hub.Seems like bolts poss.too long. ( Rim change).
Too long of lug bolt might not hit intill parking brake left on some while moving or applied while moving.
If center section of apply lever is free ,may still be ok.
To remove shoes,pop off lower spring,remove shoe hold ins(Push in turn 1/4 turn) may need to attempt several times. Hole in hub for this On
re installing,Avoid using needle nose pliers on that lower spring could lose an eye!!!!
Never seen one of these brake,almost bullet prof . Should keep shoes adjusted up at maintenance levels. Also ck free movement of parking cable, lever and spring return,(under rear of car). Happy rolling.

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

08-16-2012, 11:53 AM #3
Thanks I'll check it out in a bit. It just seems odd that it suddenly did this

sassparilla_kid
08-16-2012, 11:53 AM #3

Thanks I'll check it out in a bit. It just seems odd that it suddenly did this

Hardpan
Unregistered

08-17-2012, 02:51 PM #4
That's it, Herc. Thanks! Seems there's a separate set of log bolts (shorter!) for the spare. The spare's mounted on a stamped steel wheel, FAR thinner than the cast aluminum of the "bundt"... Duh...!

Had a flat tire at high speed, stopped, changed, and the car would then move only about 4 inches... Towed it home and pondered.

Somewhat fortuitous, though, as Sassparilla discovered the torn CV boots as well as broken exhaust hangers. Far less traumatic than a broken differential gear - MY first thought!
Hardpan
08-17-2012, 02:51 PM #4

That's it, Herc. Thanks! Seems there's a separate set of log bolts (shorter!) for the spare. The spare's mounted on a stamped steel wheel, FAR thinner than the cast aluminum of the "bundt"... Duh...!

Had a flat tire at high speed, stopped, changed, and the car would then move only about 4 inches... Towed it home and pondered.

Somewhat fortuitous, though, as Sassparilla discovered the torn CV boots as well as broken exhaust hangers. Far less traumatic than a broken differential gear - MY first thought!

blackslide
Naturally-aspirated

09-10-2012, 07:43 AM #5
Lesson learned, swap the front tire into the back, install the spare in the front. Works with all kinds of wheel bolts.

I'm glad that the damage wasn't too severe, those bolts could have made quite some damage if they would've protruded into the parking brakes just a bit more.
blackslide
09-10-2012, 07:43 AM #5

Lesson learned, swap the front tire into the back, install the spare in the front. Works with all kinds of wheel bolts.

I'm glad that the damage wasn't too severe, those bolts could have made quite some damage if they would've protruded into the parking brakes just a bit more.

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

09-12-2012, 07:38 PM #6
Yeah, now I just have to fix the big hole in the tyre where it hit a nail or something. And change the bad axles haha

sassparilla_kid
09-12-2012, 07:38 PM #6

Yeah, now I just have to fix the big hole in the tyre where it hit a nail or something. And change the bad axles haha

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average