STD Tuning Engine IP nightmare! Please help!

IP nightmare! Please help!

IP nightmare! Please help!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

disarrae
yeah, it's a real race car!

07-07-2012, 09:08 PM #1
Ok, so here's the deal. We took the IP out to tweak it for more fuel delivery. Put it back into car, engine at 24* BTDC, IP at timing marks. Have the right drips/fuel delivery from fuel pump. Car runs like crap, shakes, smokes, backfires. We take it out thinking we had the timing off 180*. NOPE. Since then, IP #1 has been sent off to experts and needs new delivery valves and plungers. No big deal, we install IP #2.
Now #2 CAN'T be timed, fuel dumps out on the exhaust stroke at 80* BTDC at 24* ATDC, pretty much constantly. Ok, we assume that IP #2, which came from a non-running WVO car has issues.
Go to junk yard and buy IP #3. It's dirty, but supposedly came off a running car. This one does pretty much the same thing, has fuel at 80* BTDC, stops delivering fuel from 18*BTDC to about 10* ATDC, then continues to dump fuel through the exhaust stroke as well.

Now I'm thinking something must be broken in the timing mechanism. Any thoughts? Have I got 3 broken IPs or did I break the *(#$$@# car? I'm dying here, oh and we have a race in 11 days.

Dirty Little Freaks Racing
Racing diesel before diesel was cool!
disarrae
07-07-2012, 09:08 PM #1

Ok, so here's the deal. We took the IP out to tweak it for more fuel delivery. Put it back into car, engine at 24* BTDC, IP at timing marks. Have the right drips/fuel delivery from fuel pump. Car runs like crap, shakes, smokes, backfires. We take it out thinking we had the timing off 180*. NOPE. Since then, IP #1 has been sent off to experts and needs new delivery valves and plungers. No big deal, we install IP #2.
Now #2 CAN'T be timed, fuel dumps out on the exhaust stroke at 80* BTDC at 24* ATDC, pretty much constantly. Ok, we assume that IP #2, which came from a non-running WVO car has issues.
Go to junk yard and buy IP #3. It's dirty, but supposedly came off a running car. This one does pretty much the same thing, has fuel at 80* BTDC, stops delivering fuel from 18*BTDC to about 10* ATDC, then continues to dump fuel through the exhaust stroke as well.

Now I'm thinking something must be broken in the timing mechanism. Any thoughts? Have I got 3 broken IPs or did I break the *(#$$@# car? I'm dying here, oh and we have a race in 11 days.

mb300td
Naturally-aspirated

07-08-2012, 07:00 AM #2
I Don't think that you would have 3 bad ips. Seems more like the injection pump timing mechanism. I don't know much about the Injection pump timing, but it sounds like that was your weakest link.

1982 Mercedes 300td 200k miles???
1984 300td parts car rust bucket
1982 240d rust bucket economy car
1981 Honda xl500 bike Big Grin
mb300td
07-08-2012, 07:00 AM #2

I Don't think that you would have 3 bad ips. Seems more like the injection pump timing mechanism. I don't know much about the Injection pump timing, but it sounds like that was your weakest link.

1982 Mercedes 300td 200k miles???
1984 300td parts car rust bucket
1982 240d rust bucket economy car
1981 Honda xl500 bike Big Grin

disarrae

07-08-2012, 12:52 PM #3
Well, we finally got IP#2 timed and in the car. It really was a method of doing the same thing 11ty billion times to get incrementally better results. I also was all panicked about the amount of fuel being delivered . . . the damn spring wasn't in so it was irrelevant. I'm a dork, but I've learned a lot with this blasted project. Namely, don't take the IP out Smile

disarrae
07-08-2012, 12:52 PM #3

Well, we finally got IP#2 timed and in the car. It really was a method of doing the same thing 11ty billion times to get incrementally better results. I also was all panicked about the amount of fuel being delivered . . . the damn spring wasn't in so it was irrelevant. I'm a dork, but I've learned a lot with this blasted project. Namely, don't take the IP out Smile

larsalan
Superturbo

07-08-2012, 01:40 PM #4
Do take out the IP! Do make some special sockets and do increase the fuel!
If you have so many spares then you can afford to fool around with one and save one as your go to backup. I'd recommend turning the crank to that 24 BTDC before you take an IP off and then you can set the timing marks on the IP that you intend to re-install.
How long to pull it out and put it back in? Like 45min? Once you've done it like 12 times you get pretty good at it.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
07-08-2012, 01:40 PM #4

Do take out the IP! Do make some special sockets and do increase the fuel!
If you have so many spares then you can afford to fool around with one and save one as your go to backup. I'd recommend turning the crank to that 24 BTDC before you take an IP off and then you can set the timing marks on the IP that you intend to re-install.
How long to pull it out and put it back in? Like 45min? Once you've done it like 12 times you get pretty good at it.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

07-08-2012, 05:10 PM #5
Larsalan is our IP removal/ re-installation expert.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
07-08-2012, 05:10 PM #5

Larsalan is our IP removal/ re-installation expert.

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

larsalan
Superturbo

07-08-2012, 06:34 PM #6
I didn't mention it when I was going through my IP debacle a while ago but...
I got that crazy 85 pump off and used my 82 pump. More power just off the bat. Then, I opened up the back of it and turned a few things here and there per the IP tuning thread. If I had more time to mess with it and/or maybe a pyrometer I would try and get the fuel up a lot more.

larsalan
07-08-2012, 06:34 PM #6

I didn't mention it when I was going through my IP debacle a while ago but...
I got that crazy 85 pump off and used my 82 pump. More power just off the bat. Then, I opened up the back of it and turned a few things here and there per the IP tuning thread. If I had more time to mess with it and/or maybe a pyrometer I would try and get the fuel up a lot more.

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

07-09-2012, 09:47 PM #7
(07-08-2012, 05:10 PM)Simpler=Better Larsalan is our IP removal/ re-installation expert.

Hahahaa

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
07-09-2012, 09:47 PM #7

(07-08-2012, 05:10 PM)Simpler=Better Larsalan is our IP removal/ re-installation expert.

Hahahaa

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

07-10-2012, 07:29 AM #8
(07-09-2012, 09:47 PM)sassparilla_kid

Hahahaa

It's true! That SOB has had the pump on & off the car what, 30 times?

Simpler=Better
07-10-2012, 07:29 AM #8

(07-09-2012, 09:47 PM)sassparilla_kid

Hahahaa

It's true! That SOB has had the pump on & off the car what, 30 times?

larsalan
Superturbo

07-10-2012, 10:02 AM #9
I estimate just about 10 times. Only opened up the back of that 82 pump once. Then I called it quits. I'd like to shelf this 85 pump in case I ever need parts from it. Maybe someday find another pump to fiddle with. Or a cheap 603/606 and get it into some kinda 4x4.
Enough of the thread hijacking.
I still wonder where are the pictures of this racecar.
http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/thread-3214.html

I should think you would need mad fuel in a racecar. What is the point of racing on stock pump settings. Wink

larsalan
07-10-2012, 10:02 AM #9

I estimate just about 10 times. Only opened up the back of that 82 pump once. Then I called it quits. I'd like to shelf this 85 pump in case I ever need parts from it. Maybe someday find another pump to fiddle with. Or a cheap 603/606 and get it into some kinda 4x4.
Enough of the thread hijacking.
I still wonder where are the pictures of this racecar.
http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/thread-3214.html

I should think you would need mad fuel in a racecar. What is the point of racing on stock pump settings. Wink

disarrae

07-12-2012, 11:54 PM #10
Larsalan, we have you beat by at least 42 removals (think of a weeks worth of in and outs).
So here's the deal, we broke the '82 IP trying to turn things up. Turns out that all those 30 year old pieces wear together, and when you ask them to move over, sometimes shit breaks. I finally gave up, loaded the car on the trailer (with the help of a teammate and a winch) and dragged the bastard to the local diesel expert. The IP from the '85 was off 62*! Timing marks lined up, but it was waaaaay off. So now, many dollars later we have an IP that is timed to the car. Why bother you ask? Because IP #1 is in the same shop being improved upon, but since the parts come from Germany and the car needs to race on the 20th, we needed a pump that actually worked so we have the donor pump, which we'll sell on fleabay when we're done with it.
Here are a few pics from grid at our first race and pre-grid at our second (which we won class in). You can find LOTS of pictures on our facebook page: Dirty Little Freaks Racing Smile

This post was last modified: 07-12-2012, 11:55 PM by disarrae.

disarrae
07-12-2012, 11:54 PM #10

Larsalan, we have you beat by at least 42 removals (think of a weeks worth of in and outs).
So here's the deal, we broke the '82 IP trying to turn things up. Turns out that all those 30 year old pieces wear together, and when you ask them to move over, sometimes shit breaks. I finally gave up, loaded the car on the trailer (with the help of a teammate and a winch) and dragged the bastard to the local diesel expert. The IP from the '85 was off 62*! Timing marks lined up, but it was waaaaay off. So now, many dollars later we have an IP that is timed to the car. Why bother you ask? Because IP #1 is in the same shop being improved upon, but since the parts come from Germany and the car needs to race on the 20th, we needed a pump that actually worked so we have the donor pump, which we'll sell on fleabay when we're done with it.
Here are a few pics from grid at our first race and pre-grid at our second (which we won class in). You can find LOTS of pictures on our facebook page: Dirty Little Freaks Racing Smile

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average