STD Tuning Engine Lucas injectors - OM603 and 602 NA

Lucas injectors - OM603 and 602 NA

Lucas injectors - OM603 and 602 NA

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

munga
Naturally-aspirated

07-06-2012, 08:12 AM #1
Hi all

I have a question for the injector buffs. I recently took my injectors out of my G-wagen OM603 NA only to discover that they were not Bosch injectors. Reading the manual it seems there were 2 types of injectors fitted to this engine. The Bosch KCA 27 S 55 and the Lucas LRC 6733 302 injectors.

The manual specifies Lucas injector nozzles for the Lucas body. But upon inspection the Bosch DN 0 SD 265 nozzles look very similar. Also vernier caliper measurements seem to confirm this. I cannot find the Lucas nozzles too easily.

I was wondering if I could just use the Bosch nozzles in the Lucas injector?
This post was last modified: 07-06-2012, 08:15 AM by munga.
Attached Files
.pdf
OM602 603 nozzles.pdf
Size: 467.31 KB / Downloads: 675
munga
07-06-2012, 08:12 AM #1

Hi all

I have a question for the injector buffs. I recently took my injectors out of my G-wagen OM603 NA only to discover that they were not Bosch injectors. Reading the manual it seems there were 2 types of injectors fitted to this engine. The Bosch KCA 27 S 55 and the Lucas LRC 6733 302 injectors.

The manual specifies Lucas injector nozzles for the Lucas body. But upon inspection the Bosch DN 0 SD 265 nozzles look very similar. Also vernier caliper measurements seem to confirm this. I cannot find the Lucas nozzles too easily.

I was wondering if I could just use the Bosch nozzles in the Lucas injector?

Attached Files
.pdf
OM602 603 nozzles.pdf
Size: 467.31 KB / Downloads: 675

Greazzer
Superturbo

07-06-2012, 11:36 AM #2
Howdy,

I rebuild injectors on the side and all I can say is that I would stick to the manual UNLESS you're making an informed modificaiton. They might be the same. You can always experiment, BUT I know that if you swap out the internals from the 2 different styles of OM617.9XX injector, you run the high risk of breaking the pintles. The OM617.9XX injector body has 2 styles: one has a "longer" bottom part and vice versa. On measurement, they are identical but I put the calipers on the internal parts and they are ever so slightly different. So, I would not swap out the internals of the OM617.9XX injector to a different style injector body or run the risk of breaking the pintle.

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...
Greazzer
07-06-2012, 11:36 AM #2

Howdy,

I rebuild injectors on the side and all I can say is that I would stick to the manual UNLESS you're making an informed modificaiton. They might be the same. You can always experiment, BUT I know that if you swap out the internals from the 2 different styles of OM617.9XX injector, you run the high risk of breaking the pintles. The OM617.9XX injector body has 2 styles: one has a "longer" bottom part and vice versa. On measurement, they are identical but I put the calipers on the internal parts and they are ever so slightly different. So, I would not swap out the internals of the OM617.9XX injector to a different style injector body or run the risk of breaking the pintle.

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...

Alastair E
Moderator?--Nah...

07-09-2012, 05:22 PM #3
The important features are--

R/B DN 'x' SD 'xxx'

The 'R' or 'B' Prefix means its made by Lucas/CAV/Rotodiesel/Delphi. Nothing more They use a couple of other prefixes too.
--Bosch generally don't use prefixes in the 'DN' series.

DN and SD refer to the type of nozzle and its external dimensions.

'x' refers to the specified number of degrees of spray divergence '0' means its Not Specified for that nozzle, and not that its '0' degrees.
--Nozzles are available up to 35 degree divergence. as I recall.

The 'xxx' (last three digits) refer to the actual design of the pintle, the needle diameter, whether side-cut or not, the cut's dimensions, its lift before it comes into operation, the annulus clearance of the pintle and the shape/length of the actual protrusion from the hole. No info is available outside the makers for this part of the designation.

Any ' x DN x SD xxx' nozzle will fit the holders you have.

Go ahead and fit the Bosch nozzles in place of the Lucas. Re-set pressures and all will be well....

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]
Alastair E
07-09-2012, 05:22 PM #3

The important features are--

R/B DN 'x' SD 'xxx'

The 'R' or 'B' Prefix means its made by Lucas/CAV/Rotodiesel/Delphi. Nothing more They use a couple of other prefixes too.

'x' refers to the specified number of degrees of spray divergence '0' means its Not Specified for that nozzle, and not that its '0' degrees.

The 'xxx' (last three digits) refer to the actual design of the pintle, the needle diameter, whether side-cut or not, the cut's dimensions, its lift before it comes into operation, the annulus clearance of the pintle and the shape/length of the actual protrusion from the hole. No info is available outside the makers for this part of the designation.

Go ahead and fit the Bosch nozzles in place of the Lucas. Re-set pressures and all will be well....

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]

munga
Naturally-aspirated

07-17-2012, 05:19 PM #4
(07-09-2012, 05:22 PM)Alastair E The important features are--

R/B DN 'x' SD 'xxx'

Thanks! I already fitted one nozzle and reshimmed to pop at about 120bar. Seems to be okay. Was going to test after about 500kms.

PS How do you know this sh!t?!
munga
07-17-2012, 05:19 PM #4

(07-09-2012, 05:22 PM)Alastair E The important features are--

R/B DN 'x' SD 'xxx'

Thanks! I already fitted one nozzle and reshimmed to pop at about 120bar. Seems to be okay. Was going to test after about 500kms.

PS How do you know this sh!t?!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average