STD Tuning Engine Intercooler help

Intercooler help

Intercooler help

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

disarrae
yeah, it's a real race car!

06-29-2012, 10:47 PM #1
So trying to get the race car up to 100 bhp, we're looking at putting in an intercooler. What do you guys use? We had a line on one from a diesel Jetta, but weren't sure. Any thoughts/suggestions for something to dig out of the PNP. Yeah, it can't be new and shiny, needs to fit a $500 crapcan race car.

Dirty Little Freaks Racing
Racing diesel before diesel was cool!
disarrae
06-29-2012, 10:47 PM #1

So trying to get the race car up to 100 bhp, we're looking at putting in an intercooler. What do you guys use? We had a line on one from a diesel Jetta, but weren't sure. Any thoughts/suggestions for something to dig out of the PNP. Yeah, it can't be new and shiny, needs to fit a $500 crapcan race car.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

06-30-2012, 01:02 PM #2
Anything's better than nothing, if it doesn't cool enough setup a windshield sprayer. If you have the space get one from a dodge or ford truck it will be enormous.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
06-30-2012, 01:02 PM #2

Anything's better than nothing, if it doesn't cool enough setup a windshield sprayer. If you have the space get one from a dodge or ford truck it will be enormous.

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

aaa
GT2256V

06-30-2012, 01:18 PM #3
There are a number of different volvo front mount air intercoolers, they are about the size of a radiator. Or you can get a smaller one and put it where the condensor fan was. Or a long rectangular one from a saab or something in the bumper.
aaa
06-30-2012, 01:18 PM #3

There are a number of different volvo front mount air intercoolers, they are about the size of a radiator. Or you can get a smaller one and put it where the condensor fan was. Or a long rectangular one from a saab or something in the bumper.

disarrae

06-30-2012, 01:44 PM #4
I'm hoping to stick it in the hole where the right front headlight used to reside. We pulled the lights out because they were extra weight, and useless for night races. Right now the condenser fan is our radiator fan since the clutch was bad in the actual fan. And it was heavy Smile

disarrae
06-30-2012, 01:44 PM #4

I'm hoping to stick it in the hole where the right front headlight used to reside. We pulled the lights out because they were extra weight, and useless for night races. Right now the condenser fan is our radiator fan since the clutch was bad in the actual fan. And it was heavy Smile

aaa
GT2256V

06-30-2012, 02:13 PM #5
Well there are a number of side mount ones from saab that might fit there. Like this thing, I've seen it in my junkyard once or twice.
aaa
06-30-2012, 02:13 PM #5

Well there are a number of side mount ones from saab that might fit there. Like this thing, I've seen it in my junkyard once or twice.

disarrae

07-03-2012, 10:19 AM #6
As a follow up question, after running the car on the dyno and taking the boost from 18 down to 8lbs with no hp loss, we're thinking that the issue is, it needs more fuel. Will an intercooler help much at this point?
That Saab one looks like a possibility and it's the right price!
This post was last modified: 07-03-2012, 10:20 AM by disarrae.

disarrae
07-03-2012, 10:19 AM #6

As a follow up question, after running the car on the dyno and taking the boost from 18 down to 8lbs with no hp loss, we're thinking that the issue is, it needs more fuel. Will an intercooler help much at this point?
That Saab one looks like a possibility and it's the right price!

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

07-03-2012, 01:08 PM #7
The intercooler will reduce temperatures, allowing you to add more fuel. If you're only putting out "8lbs" or fuel, something is wrong. Is your ALDA still connected? Do you have a straight pipe? Auto or manual transmission? In place of an intercooler you could run extra piping between the turbo and manifold, that would also give you a place to spray methanol. Have you turned up the pump yet? Have you advanced your timing yet? Set your injectors to the proper pop pressure?

Unless on plan on stopping a lot, you can get rid of the fan completely-Army over on PP doesn't run one.

If it's a one time lemons race, shoot some methanol/water pre turbo with a windshield washer pump & nozzles. If it's not a throw-away turbo spend the $120 and spray methanol/water post turbo that will get you about 10hp.

Simpler=Better
07-03-2012, 01:08 PM #7

The intercooler will reduce temperatures, allowing you to add more fuel. If you're only putting out "8lbs" or fuel, something is wrong. Is your ALDA still connected? Do you have a straight pipe? Auto or manual transmission? In place of an intercooler you could run extra piping between the turbo and manifold, that would also give you a place to spray methanol. Have you turned up the pump yet? Have you advanced your timing yet? Set your injectors to the proper pop pressure?

Unless on plan on stopping a lot, you can get rid of the fan completely-Army over on PP doesn't run one.

If it's a one time lemons race, shoot some methanol/water pre turbo with a windshield washer pump & nozzles. If it's not a throw-away turbo spend the $120 and spray methanol/water post turbo that will get you about 10hp.

aaa
GT2256V

07-03-2012, 01:14 PM #8
If you leave the fuel as is, you will only get marginal gains from the intercooler. It's primary purpose is to keep temperatures under control when you put more fuel in.

Also, the pump is set to cut fuel off at higher rpms. Adjusting it should allow you to go a little beyond 8psi.
aaa
07-03-2012, 01:14 PM #8

If you leave the fuel as is, you will only get marginal gains from the intercooler. It's primary purpose is to keep temperatures under control when you put more fuel in.

Also, the pump is set to cut fuel off at higher rpms. Adjusting it should allow you to go a little beyond 8psi.

disarrae

07-03-2012, 01:27 PM #9
We tried adjusting the IP and it's killing me. I can't get the timing right on the car now. Followed all of the instructions in the manual, 24* both places, car smokes like it's on fire and runs like hell. Is there some secret way to adjust IP timing that I'm missing? I've been uninstalling and reinstalling it for 4 days now, I'm ready to send it to the crusher, but it's my own damn stupidity I think!

disarrae
07-03-2012, 01:27 PM #9

We tried adjusting the IP and it's killing me. I can't get the timing right on the car now. Followed all of the instructions in the manual, 24* both places, car smokes like it's on fire and runs like hell. Is there some secret way to adjust IP timing that I'm missing? I've been uninstalling and reinstalling it for 4 days now, I'm ready to send it to the crusher, but it's my own damn stupidity I think!

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

07-03-2012, 02:42 PM #10
Are you doing drip timing? If not, you're shooting in the dark. Pull the DVs, make up a drip tube, and git r dun.

Simpler=Better
07-03-2012, 02:42 PM #10

Are you doing drip timing? If not, you're shooting in the dark. Pull the DVs, make up a drip tube, and git r dun.

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

07-03-2012, 05:36 PM #11
Since you don't need to deal with Air Conditioning, you might want to use a late 80's Volvo 760 Intercooler. That intercooler is the size of a radiator and it would give better performance then the SAAB intercooler. Especially if your able to get more out of the pump.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
07-03-2012, 05:36 PM #11

Since you don't need to deal with Air Conditioning, you might want to use a late 80's Volvo 760 Intercooler. That intercooler is the size of a radiator and it would give better performance then the SAAB intercooler. Especially if your able to get more out of the pump.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

larsalan
Superturbo

07-03-2012, 06:09 PM #12
I say definitely spray some alcohol/methanol, or whatever in there. You budget is constrained by the rules of this race right? Spray as much diesel and and alcohol as you can. Those pumps and nozzles don't cost that much and neither does a few gallons of wiper fluid or racing alcohol.
As for the timing, I guess just be patient and I'm sure you'll get it. I tried that stupid ass drip shit and it always seems to flow at 1 drip/sec for me no matter where I clocked the pump.

can you find a intercooler from fleabay? How much is the budget for that one part? Then you could plumb it with radiator hose from the junkyard
This post was last modified: 07-03-2012, 06:13 PM by larsalan.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
07-03-2012, 06:09 PM #12

I say definitely spray some alcohol/methanol, or whatever in there. You budget is constrained by the rules of this race right? Spray as much diesel and and alcohol as you can. Those pumps and nozzles don't cost that much and neither does a few gallons of wiper fluid or racing alcohol.
As for the timing, I guess just be patient and I'm sure you'll get it. I tried that stupid ass drip shit and it always seems to flow at 1 drip/sec for me no matter where I clocked the pump.

can you find a intercooler from fleabay? How much is the budget for that one part? Then you could plumb it with radiator hose from the junkyard

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

07-04-2012, 04:05 PM #13
I set my timing at 26* BTDC as recommended by Hercules

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
07-04-2012, 04:05 PM #13

I set my timing at 26* BTDC as recommended by Hercules

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

rmd2k1
K26-2

07-06-2012, 10:55 AM #14
I would say if you are looking for a small intercooler to stuff behind the headlight area one from the ford thunderbird supercoupe or a mercury cougar xr7 supercharged. They are of a decent size and I have seen them used in budget builds on gassers with mild boost.
rmd2k1
07-06-2012, 10:55 AM #14

I would say if you are looking for a small intercooler to stuff behind the headlight area one from the ford thunderbird supercoupe or a mercury cougar xr7 supercharged. They are of a decent size and I have seen them used in budget builds on gassers with mild boost.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average