STD Other Projects 190E OM606 Power

190E OM606 Power

190E OM606 Power

• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Nielsychop
Naturally-aspirated

06-28-2012, 08:03 AM #1
Hi guys, I'm going the same route as HughF with a OM606 powered 190.
As he's near my neck of the woods (Dorset) I have been to look at his build (Very impressed) and he's a little further along than I am. My 190 is my daily drive so I've yet to take the plunge and rip out the old 2.0
I will be retaining the 722.6 gearbox, and have purchased a TCM controller from PCS in the US. Can anyone advise as to pinouts for this box and features / pitfalls?

I'll post some progress pics when I get things organised, for now you can check out: Mercedes_Power

I have a question for anyone willing? I need to make a glow relay on the ignition, will it be simple enough to have it on ignition live and on a timer relay? or will I need to deactivate glow if the engine is already hot?

Cheers,
Niels
Nielsychop
06-28-2012, 08:03 AM #1

Hi guys, I'm going the same route as HughF with a OM606 powered 190.
As he's near my neck of the woods (Dorset) I have been to look at his build (Very impressed) and he's a little further along than I am. My 190 is my daily drive so I've yet to take the plunge and rip out the old 2.0
I will be retaining the 722.6 gearbox, and have purchased a TCM controller from PCS in the US. Can anyone advise as to pinouts for this box and features / pitfalls?

I'll post some progress pics when I get things organised, for now you can check out: Mercedes_Power

I have a question for anyone willing? I need to make a glow relay on the ignition, will it be simple enough to have it on ignition live and on a timer relay? or will I need to deactivate glow if the engine is already hot?

Cheers,
Niels

aaa
GT2256V

06-28-2012, 12:17 PM #2
For the glow, you don't need to figure out everything, There are four wires coming off of it, and two of them have matching colors in the fusebox, routed instead to the gasser fuel pump relay and so forth (a wiring diagram would help). The 3rd and 4th are glow indicator light and ground.

So only the first two control the relay, one is just keyed 12v power and the other is the cranking signal. Presumably the cranking signal is how it knows to turn off while the engine is starting. The glow light controls how long you glow by varying based on outdoor/bay temperature.

There is also the big main 12v which also can easily transplanted from a diesel, to save you the trouble of making your own 4ga wire from the battery.
aaa
06-28-2012, 12:17 PM #2

For the glow, you don't need to figure out everything, There are four wires coming off of it, and two of them have matching colors in the fusebox, routed instead to the gasser fuel pump relay and so forth (a wiring diagram would help). The 3rd and 4th are glow indicator light and ground.

So only the first two control the relay, one is just keyed 12v power and the other is the cranking signal. Presumably the cranking signal is how it knows to turn off while the engine is starting. The glow light controls how long you glow by varying based on outdoor/bay temperature.

There is also the big main 12v which also can easily transplanted from a diesel, to save you the trouble of making your own 4ga wire from the battery.

Nielsychop
Naturally-aspirated

06-29-2012, 02:59 AM #3
Thanks very much Smile
I bought a W210 as a donor car, as the price of an engine for one of these is nearly the same! (So if anyone needs any bits? Wink )
It made sense as I wasn't sure what ancillaries I'd need. I don't feel too guilty for butchering a working Merc, around here they're not very rare.

The plan is to get the engine fitted, and working, then find the bits that break, driveshafts etc. and replace with stronger in time. Can anyone share their experiences on this with a 190E?

Bits still needed until I can burn oil...
Fit engine
Custom length drive shaft from gearbox
Mate TCM to gearbox
Speed hall sensor fitted to gearbox for TCM
Buy and fit gauges, boost, speedo?
Fit W210 shifter (Also buy paddle shifters for TCM)

Bits already done...
OM606 and 722.6 removed from W210
OM603 pump rebuilt with 7.5mm elements by Pasi at PP Diesel
OM603 pump fitted to OM606
Nielsychop
06-29-2012, 02:59 AM #3

Thanks very much Smile
I bought a W210 as a donor car, as the price of an engine for one of these is nearly the same! (So if anyone needs any bits? Wink )
It made sense as I wasn't sure what ancillaries I'd need. I don't feel too guilty for butchering a working Merc, around here they're not very rare.

The plan is to get the engine fitted, and working, then find the bits that break, driveshafts etc. and replace with stronger in time. Can anyone share their experiences on this with a 190E?

Bits still needed until I can burn oil...
Fit engine
Custom length drive shaft from gearbox
Mate TCM to gearbox
Speed hall sensor fitted to gearbox for TCM
Buy and fit gauges, boost, speedo?
Fit W210 shifter (Also buy paddle shifters for TCM)

Bits already done...
OM606 and 722.6 removed from W210
OM603 pump rebuilt with 7.5mm elements by Pasi at PP Diesel
OM603 pump fitted to OM606

Kozuka
I'm_Badass

06-30-2012, 02:15 PM #4
W201 M103 Engine Mounts
W124 v8 swaybar (trimmed to fit) & brackets (flipped backwards, trimmed) modded to fit.
You might be able to use a W201 2.6 drive shaft (automatic)
Fuel System (Either By-Pass Electric Fuel Pump's or Install a diesel fuel rated pump). Tank's are the same between gas/diesel according to the diagrams in the FSM.
Cooling system. Seen done different ways since your in europe, the easiest stock option is a W201 2.5TD Radiator with 2.6/2.5TD radiator mounts or a 2.5NA rad & mounts modded to fit deeper in the core support or custom rad modded to fit.
Gauges, I don't know if the 722.6 uses a speedo cable but for rpm your probably going to have to come up with a hall effect that sends four pulses per revolution.

Any other specific questions not involving the automatic electronics. For all that I would hit up this guy:
http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/thread-3701.html

1983 300TD : 4 Speed : SLS Delete : More. Daily Deathcab
1987 190E/16v/OM603 : 5 Speed : SLS Delete : Lots More..W201 Project
Kozuka
06-30-2012, 02:15 PM #4

W201 M103 Engine Mounts
W124 v8 swaybar (trimmed to fit) & brackets (flipped backwards, trimmed) modded to fit.
You might be able to use a W201 2.6 drive shaft (automatic)
Fuel System (Either By-Pass Electric Fuel Pump's or Install a diesel fuel rated pump). Tank's are the same between gas/diesel according to the diagrams in the FSM.
Cooling system. Seen done different ways since your in europe, the easiest stock option is a W201 2.5TD Radiator with 2.6/2.5TD radiator mounts or a 2.5NA rad & mounts modded to fit deeper in the core support or custom rad modded to fit.
Gauges, I don't know if the 722.6 uses a speedo cable but for rpm your probably going to have to come up with a hall effect that sends four pulses per revolution.

Any other specific questions not involving the automatic electronics. For all that I would hit up this guy:
http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/thread-3701.html

1983 300TD : 4 Speed : SLS Delete : More. Daily Deathcab
1987 190E/16v/OM603 : 5 Speed : SLS Delete : Lots More..W201 Project

Booster
GT2559V

07-10-2012, 05:56 AM #5
Where about's are you in dorset fella?
Booster
07-10-2012, 05:56 AM #5

Where about's are you in dorset fella?

Nielsychop
Naturally-aspirated