STD Tuning Engine 605 turbo and electronics

605 turbo and electronics

605 turbo and electronics

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mark_M
GT2559V

06-19-2012, 06:06 PM #1
Hi folks noob here.

Straight off the bat I am going to ask for some advice/knowledge. On Saturday I am going to be removing a 605 turbo for a project I have been working on for years but never finished. Anyway does anybody know what parts of the electronics I need to keep for the conversion into another car? The donor car is a W202 C250 turbo diesel. At first I thought with this being an older engine it wouldn't be too involved only needing the ECU and various sensors. I am starting to doubt that having had a read around the internet though. There seems to be an awful lot of controllers/computers around the car that probably talk to each other. The car is a manual box so no gearbox computer to worry about but what about the rest? Quite happy to even get a link with information as well. A rough idea to where the parts all are would be good too as well.

The wiring part a no problem for me as I used to be an electrical engineer. I just don't know anything about these cars or engines so not sure what has to be kept to stop the main ECU freaking out and stopping the show.

Maybe the best idea would be to get an IP from a 602 but that would have a knock on affect for other things like the turbo waste gate?

The project for those interested is a 1972 Scimitar. I have already converted it to a 3.9 V8 but the project stalled a few years ago when fuel prices went through the roof. Looking at alternatives I came up with the idea of fitting a Mercedes diesel. Power still to be had for fun and a bit more economy for the everyday drive. Its also still a little bit different which is important as well. I have driven diesels since the early 90s so no idea why I didn't think of it before

Many thanks for any and all advise here it will be much appreciated.

Mark
Mark_M
06-19-2012, 06:06 PM #1

Hi folks noob here.

Straight off the bat I am going to ask for some advice/knowledge. On Saturday I am going to be removing a 605 turbo for a project I have been working on for years but never finished. Anyway does anybody know what parts of the electronics I need to keep for the conversion into another car? The donor car is a W202 C250 turbo diesel. At first I thought with this being an older engine it wouldn't be too involved only needing the ECU and various sensors. I am starting to doubt that having had a read around the internet though. There seems to be an awful lot of controllers/computers around the car that probably talk to each other. The car is a manual box so no gearbox computer to worry about but what about the rest? Quite happy to even get a link with information as well. A rough idea to where the parts all are would be good too as well.

The wiring part a no problem for me as I used to be an electrical engineer. I just don't know anything about these cars or engines so not sure what has to be kept to stop the main ECU freaking out and stopping the show.

Maybe the best idea would be to get an IP from a 602 but that would have a knock on affect for other things like the turbo waste gate?

The project for those interested is a 1972 Scimitar. I have already converted it to a 3.9 V8 but the project stalled a few years ago when fuel prices went through the roof. Looking at alternatives I came up with the idea of fitting a Mercedes diesel. Power still to be had for fun and a bit more economy for the everyday drive. Its also still a little bit different which is important as well. I have driven diesels since the early 90s so no idea why I didn't think of it before

Many thanks for any and all advise here it will be much appreciated.

Mark

aaa
GT2256V

06-19-2012, 09:28 PM #2
Did you consider ditching the ECU and using your own? The electronic pump isn't that hard to control.
aaa
06-19-2012, 09:28 PM #2

Did you consider ditching the ECU and using your own? The electronic pump isn't that hard to control.

Mark_M
GT2559V

06-20-2012, 03:34 AM #3
I have seen some mentions about doing this around here but I haven't seen any details about it as such. Do you have any further links/information?
Mark_M
06-20-2012, 03:34 AM #3

I have seen some mentions about doing this around here but I haven't seen any details about it as such. Do you have any further links/information?

aaa
GT2256V

06-20-2012, 07:52 AM #4
I don't think anybody's posted the details. I've seen the inside of the pump and all it has is an actuator for the fuel rack. Also, you have to govern the idle, which apparently is the trickiest part, the rest can just be a direct correlation to pedal position.
This post was last modified: 06-20-2012, 07:54 AM by aaa.
aaa
06-20-2012, 07:52 AM #4

I don't think anybody's posted the details. I've seen the inside of the pump and all it has is an actuator for the fuel rack. Also, you have to govern the idle, which apparently is the trickiest part, the rest can just be a direct correlation to pedal position.

Mark_M
GT2559V

06-20-2012, 04:38 PM #5
OK thanks aaa.

Can anybody recommend an on-line downloadable manual for a W202 with a 605 engine in it? I am quite happy to pay for one and it needs to be downloadable since time is getting short. I have seen a few on-line to buy but I wasn't sure if they actually covered what I wanted. Quite happy to pay but not for a manual that is useless to me.
Mark_M
06-20-2012, 04:38 PM #5

OK thanks aaa.

Can anybody recommend an on-line downloadable manual for a W202 with a 605 engine in it? I am quite happy to pay for one and it needs to be downloadable since time is getting short. I have seen a few on-line to buy but I wasn't sure if they actually covered what I wanted. Quite happy to pay but not for a manual that is useless to me.

aaa
GT2256V

06-22-2012, 11:10 AM #6
You can sign up for WIS from MB. It's like $20 a day or something, which is ok if you can find what you want in a day.

I wonder about whether entire downloadable manuals for the newer MBs actually exist. If they did I would assume you'd be able to get them for free some way or another. I assume they stopped showing up when WIS came about.
aaa
06-22-2012, 11:10 AM #6

You can sign up for WIS from MB. It's like $20 a day or something, which is ok if you can find what you want in a day.

I wonder about whether entire downloadable manuals for the newer MBs actually exist. If they did I would assume you'd be able to get them for free some way or another. I assume they stopped showing up when WIS came about.

Mark_M
GT2559V

06-22-2012, 11:26 AM #7
I actually got a copy of WIS the other night on a download. Its huge and complicated to find anything. So far I haven't found a complete wiring diagram on it, only hundreds of different sections. It just about has everything you could ever need except a training course on how to find it lol.
Mark_M
06-22-2012, 11:26 AM #7

I actually got a copy of WIS the other night on a download. Its huge and complicated to find anything. So far I haven't found a complete wiring diagram on it, only hundreds of different sections. It just about has everything you could ever need except a training course on how to find it lol.

Alastair E
Moderator?--Nah...

06-24-2012, 05:02 PM #8
Trouble is, The Engine ECU is linked to the Gearbox ECU--And all the other electronic systems the car has, particularly the elect dashboard...

If some/all of those other systems are not present/connected and 'happy' then the thing goes into either immobiliser or limp-home.

There was a guy who spent a LOT of time trying to get a 605 to work in a van without the other systems. He never got it going with the original ECU.

I think he ditched the electronics and used a Mechanical pump in the end...

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]
Alastair E
06-24-2012, 05:02 PM #8

Trouble is, The Engine ECU is linked to the Gearbox ECU--And all the other electronic systems the car has, particularly the elect dashboard...

If some/all of those other systems are not present/connected and 'happy' then the thing goes into either immobiliser or limp-home.

There was a guy who spent a LOT of time trying to get a 605 to work in a van without the other systems. He never got it going with the original ECU.

I think he ditched the electronics and used a Mechanical pump in the end...

Mark_M
GT2559V

06-25-2012, 11:26 AM #9
Thanks Alistair I had come to that conclusion after speaking to another forum member. I am currently trying to track down a mechanical pump now. If anybody reading this knows of one for sale I would appreciate the heads up.
Mark_M
06-25-2012, 11:26 AM #9

Thanks Alistair I had come to that conclusion after speaking to another forum member. I am currently trying to track down a mechanical pump now. If anybody reading this knows of one for sale I would appreciate the heads up.

Alastair E
Moderator?--Nah...

06-26-2012, 03:47 PM #10
(06-25-2012, 11:26 AM)Mark_M Thanks Alistair I had come to that conclusion after speaking to another forum member. I am currently trying to track down a mechanical pump now. If anybody reading this knows of one for sale I would appreciate the heads up.

Loads on ebay, but the muppet wants daft dosh for 'em....

Alastair E
06-26-2012, 03:47 PM #10

(06-25-2012, 11:26 AM)Mark_M Thanks Alistair I had come to that conclusion after speaking to another forum member. I am currently trying to track down a mechanical pump now. If anybody reading this knows of one for sale I would appreciate the heads up.

Loads on ebay, but the muppet wants daft dosh for 'em....

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average