STD Maintenance General Frozen caliper!

Frozen caliper!

Frozen caliper!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

06-13-2012, 04:29 PM #1
OK I was driving in stop and go traffic and suddenly the car feels like there is a drag. Than I.notice some smoke in front of me. Front left has seized or something. Any tips? Never had this happen. Can I do.anything to save it that doesnt cost money. Smile

" straighten up that star on the grill, assholes."

lgreeley83
06-13-2012, 04:29 PM #1

OK I was driving in stop and go traffic and suddenly the car feels like there is a drag. Than I.notice some smoke in front of me. Front left has seized or something. Any tips? Never had this happen. Can I do.anything to save it that doesnt cost money. Smile

larsalan
Superturbo

06-13-2012, 05:05 PM #2
My buddy had a 300sd that had a caliper stuck shut too. We were changing pads and couldn't get a c clamp to compress the piston. Ended up putting the caliper in a vise to compress it. Threw a bit of bearing grease on the piston and I never heard him complain that it was dragging after that.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
06-13-2012, 05:05 PM #2

My buddy had a 300sd that had a caliper stuck shut too. We were changing pads and couldn't get a c clamp to compress the piston. Ended up putting the caliper in a vise to compress it. Threw a bit of bearing grease on the piston and I never heard him complain that it was dragging after that.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

06-14-2012, 07:59 AM #3
Don't pour brake fluid on it while it's hot-that's how I set my W123 on fire the first time.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
06-14-2012, 07:59 AM #3

Don't pour brake fluid on it while it's hot-that's how I set my W123 on fire the first time.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

06-14-2012, 11:11 AM #4
(06-13-2012, 04:29 PM)lgreeley83 OK I was driving in stop and go traffic and suddenly the car feels like there is a drag. Than I.notice some smoke in front of me. Front left has seized or something. Any tips? Never had this happen. Can I do.anything to save it that doesnt cost money. Smile

It's most likely rust related. You'll most likely need to pop the pistons out and clean the rust/crud off them. But if pitted, then you'll need new units.

Then if that's the case, time for a upgrade to w126 vented rotors.

I have a used set of calipers and good rotors for sale. One caliper would need to be resealed though.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
06-14-2012, 11:11 AM #4

(06-13-2012, 04:29 PM)lgreeley83 OK I was driving in stop and go traffic and suddenly the car feels like there is a drag. Than I.notice some smoke in front of me. Front left has seized or something. Any tips? Never had this happen. Can I do.anything to save it that doesnt cost money. Smile

It's most likely rust related. You'll most likely need to pop the pistons out and clean the rust/crud off them. But if pitted, then you'll need new units.

Then if that's the case, time for a upgrade to w126 vented rotors.

I have a used set of calipers and good rotors for sale. One caliper would need to be resealed though.

JB3
Superturbo

06-14-2012, 11:36 AM #5
cheapest possible solution with the worst possible safety consequences is disconnect the line and cap it. Big Grin

I did this once for a grey market 300D NA that I was waiting forever on a rear caliper for, 3 wheel brakes for a week or so. I wouldn't do it on the front, but its definitely an option if you're stuck.

I keep the little brake line cap in the glove compartment now that its been made.

Otherwise rebuild or buy another caliper, I agree with DV, probably jammed up with rust or other crap.

This will make you feel better-

[Image: 0052.jpg]
This post was last modified: 06-14-2012, 11:37 AM by JB3.

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

JB3
06-14-2012, 11:36 AM #5

cheapest possible solution with the worst possible safety consequences is disconnect the line and cap it. Big Grin

I did this once for a grey market 300D NA that I was waiting forever on a rear caliper for, 3 wheel brakes for a week or so. I wouldn't do it on the front, but its definitely an option if you're stuck.

I keep the little brake line cap in the glove compartment now that its been made.

Otherwise rebuild or buy another caliper, I agree with DV, probably jammed up with rust or other crap.

This will make you feel better-

[Image: 0052.jpg]

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

06-14-2012, 01:15 PM #6
That's nasty man! You fellas get all the fun!

DeliveryValve
06-14-2012, 01:15 PM #6

That's nasty man! You fellas get all the fun!

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

06-14-2012, 01:39 PM #7
Love to do the caliper rotor upgrade but no money as of now.

lgreeley83
06-14-2012, 01:39 PM #7

Love to do the caliper rotor upgrade but no money as of now.

JB3
Superturbo

06-14-2012, 03:23 PM #8
(06-14-2012, 01:15 PM)DeliveryValve That's nasty man! You fellas get all the fun!

was off my volvo, took a 12 ton press to get that rotor off the hub. Normally they are loose when you remove a tire, but not this one Big Grin. Lower control arm broke in half when i tried to remove it later. All new now though.

(06-14-2012, 01:39 PM)lgreeley83 Love to do the caliper rotor upgrade but no money as of now.

where does the leak appear to be coming from? inside or outside piston?

maybe for the interim, if its the outside piston, your could take the caliper apart and block off the access ports the outside piston, and still have half a caliper, but no more leak.

Ive got plenty of dangerous pieces of advice to lend here. Big Grin
This post was last modified: 06-14-2012, 03:26 PM by JB3.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
06-14-2012, 03:23 PM #8

(06-14-2012, 01:15 PM)DeliveryValve That's nasty man! You fellas get all the fun!

was off my volvo, took a 12 ton press to get that rotor off the hub. Normally they are loose when you remove a tire, but not this one Big Grin. Lower control arm broke in half when i tried to remove it later. All new now though.

(06-14-2012, 01:39 PM)lgreeley83 Love to do the caliper rotor upgrade but no money as of now.

maybe for the interim, if its the outside piston, your could take the caliper apart and block off the access ports the outside piston, and still have half a caliper, but no more leak.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

06-14-2012, 04:56 PM #9
[/quote]

[/quote]

Are you saying it could freeze up due to low fluid? This caliper was not leaking but my other one was when I first bought it. Than I assumed
fluid helped the seal swell and stopped leak.

I have had the pb blaster on bolts all day and will see what I find in a few hours.

lgreeley83
06-14-2012, 04:56 PM #9

[/quote]

[/quote]

Are you saying it could freeze up due to low fluid? This caliper was not leaking but my other one was when I first bought it. Than I assumed
fluid helped the seal swell and stopped leak.

I have had the pb blaster on bolts all day and will see what I find in a few hours.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

06-14-2012, 07:32 PM #10
Well I got it off fairly easily. Sorry no pics. Pads wearing a bit unevenly like getting pushed in at an angle. No leaks but real dirty and of course rust. Was able to compress the piston without any more trouble than usual. Not stuck any more Smile.

Who knows for how long. Probably going to be stuck again tomorrow.
This post was last modified: 06-14-2012, 07:33 PM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
06-14-2012, 07:32 PM #10

Well I got it off fairly easily. Sorry no pics. Pads wearing a bit unevenly like getting pushed in at an angle. No leaks but real dirty and of course rust. Was able to compress the piston without any more trouble than usual. Not stuck any more Smile.

Who knows for how long. Probably going to be stuck again tomorrow.

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

06-15-2012, 12:00 AM #11
Throw some grease in there!

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
06-15-2012, 12:00 AM #11

Throw some grease in there!

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

06-15-2012, 04:53 PM #12
Stuck again.

Its tough to work on my car cause landlord is a dick. Can't have car on jacks all afternoon so I don't want to turn the rotors. Pads on there are pretty skinny. Against all.best practice known can I replace pads without turning rotors?

My theory is the piston won't have to travel as far and enter the sticky region of travel. Never popped a piston out and am intimidated with the lack of shop space. If I rip the rubber I'm screwed too. My rotors look pretty good.

lgreeley83
06-15-2012, 04:53 PM #12

Stuck again.

Its tough to work on my car cause landlord is a dick. Can't have car on jacks all afternoon so I don't want to turn the rotors. Pads on there are pretty skinny. Against all.best practice known can I replace pads without turning rotors?

My theory is the piston won't have to travel as far and enter the sticky region of travel. Never popped a piston out and am intimidated with the lack of shop space. If I rip the rubber I'm screwed too. My rotors look pretty good.

JB3
Superturbo

06-15-2012, 05:03 PM #13
(06-15-2012, 04:53 PM)lgreeley83 Stuck again.

if the rotors not warped, they last pretty well, I wouldn't worry about turning them unless they are horribly scored and such.

Sounds like this might do the trick. landlord wont let you work on the car?

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
06-15-2012, 05:03 PM #13

if the rotors not warped, they last pretty well, I wouldn't worry about turning them unless they are horribly scored and such.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

06-15-2012, 05:22 PM #14
(06-15-2012, 05:03 PM)JB3

Landlord sucks. When.moving in they said working on cars was fine. Now its an offence I can get fined for. 150+- unit complex. Half are condos. Somehow condo ownership agreements say no working on cars and somehow that applies to me. I generally work in the evening and try to be quick. When I was doing my manifold swap I was always looking over my shoulder. Paranoid just checking my oil. Pretty lame. Landlords are retired husband and wife. Around every day.

Gonna try some 13 dollar pads tonight, bleed all four and see where I am at.

Oh yeah and they.bitch.whenever I have more than 2 cars. 90% of the time.
This post was last modified: 06-15-2012, 05:23 PM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
06-15-2012, 05:22 PM #14

(06-15-2012, 05:03 PM)JB3

Landlord sucks. When.moving in they said working on cars was fine. Now its an offence I can get fined for. 150+- unit complex. Half are condos. Somehow condo ownership agreements say no working on cars and somehow that applies to me. I generally work in the evening and try to be quick. When I was doing my manifold swap I was always looking over my shoulder. Paranoid just checking my oil. Pretty lame. Landlords are retired husband and wife. Around every day.

Gonna try some 13 dollar pads tonight, bleed all four and see where I am at.

Oh yeah and they.bitch.whenever I have more than 2 cars. 90% of the time.

larsalan
Superturbo

06-16-2012, 09:33 AM #15
Maybe you just need to try a mechanic with like a clean jump suit, white gloves, and spectacles. Perhaps the appearance of grease and soot, and wheels laying about has them up in arms.
I believe if you try and speak with them in a polite manner you may get further. Explain that this is part of your life and they aren't letting you live.
Or as you say they may just be dicks.

larsalan
06-16-2012, 09:33 AM #15

Maybe you just need to try a mechanic with like a clean jump suit, white gloves, and spectacles. Perhaps the appearance of grease and soot, and wheels laying about has them up in arms.
I believe if you try and speak with them in a polite manner you may get further. Explain that this is part of your life and they aren't letting you live.
Or as you say they may just be dicks.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

06-16-2012, 12:27 PM #16
I'm a very neighborly guy, I have chatted with many other guys in the complex and they have all been told no working on cars. Its a decent complex, lots of kids, and I finally found an area without gangs. I understand it to an extent. Nobody wants cars on blocks for days, and with all the kids safety is a concern. Like I said though I am afraid to pop the hood. It is a bit too much. One neighbor said he has heard maintaining a car is OK but repairing a car is not. Who knows what that means? He got chewed out for doing a 20 min oil change. Any who I figure its just the lame crap I inevitably have to deal with until I own property.

Changed pads last night. Didn't get to bleed yet but I think I may be in the clear. Pads on the passenger side were almost new whereas driver's side almost gone. No wonder that thing pulled like a retarded donkey when I braked. <--unrelated to sticky caliper.

I'll be upgrading when I get back from my tour in Egypt next may.

lgreeley83
06-16-2012, 12:27 PM #16

I'm a very neighborly guy, I have chatted with many other guys in the complex and they have all been told no working on cars. Its a decent complex, lots of kids, and I finally found an area without gangs. I understand it to an extent. Nobody wants cars on blocks for days, and with all the kids safety is a concern. Like I said though I am afraid to pop the hood. It is a bit too much. One neighbor said he has heard maintaining a car is OK but repairing a car is not. Who knows what that means? He got chewed out for doing a 20 min oil change. Any who I figure its just the lame crap I inevitably have to deal with until I own property.

Changed pads last night. Didn't get to bleed yet but I think I may be in the clear. Pads on the passenger side were almost new whereas driver's side almost gone. No wonder that thing pulled like a retarded donkey when I braked. <--unrelated to sticky caliper.

I'll be upgrading when I get back from my tour in Egypt next may.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

06-17-2012, 11:32 PM #17
Drove much today and still no sticky brakes. I think piston was just too far out and that caused issues.

lgreeley83
06-17-2012, 11:32 PM #17

Drove much today and still no sticky brakes. I think piston was just too far out and that caused issues.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average