STD Maintenance General Still having an electrical problem... OVP Relay??

Still having an electrical problem... OVP Relay??

Still having an electrical problem... OVP Relay??

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

dieselsmoke300d
To many things I say: Bah Humbug!

06-11-2012, 11:53 PM #1
Hello all. I'm still having a problem with my Benz not charging it's battery. (I haven't really been able to do any extensive diagnostics) I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with the battery or alternator because they're brand new, and it was working occasionally. Could just be something simple like a bad cable, maybe a fusible linkage? Idk. I read something about an OVP (overload protection) relay causing similar problems on another forum. Does my '84 have one? If so where is it??

Some good electrical diagrams would make this much easier...

Thanks!

Matt.

'85 300SD Turbo
'92 Subaru SVX
'83 Pontiac Firebird S/E
'88 Pontiac Firebird
dieselsmoke300d
06-11-2012, 11:53 PM #1

Hello all. I'm still having a problem with my Benz not charging it's battery. (I haven't really been able to do any extensive diagnostics) I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with the battery or alternator because they're brand new, and it was working occasionally. Could just be something simple like a bad cable, maybe a fusible linkage? Idk. I read something about an OVP (overload protection) relay causing similar problems on another forum. Does my '84 have one? If so where is it??

Some good electrical diagrams would make this much easier...

Thanks!

Matt.

'85 300SD Turbo
'92 Subaru SVX
'83 Pontiac Firebird S/E
'88 Pontiac Firebird

aaa
GT2256V

06-12-2012, 04:33 AM #2
Pretty sure you don't have an OVP. It is also not charging related.

Check your battery and alternator again. It's very easy to ruin a new battery by running it down several times. Break out the multimeter and see whats going on.

I've had a frayed alternator cable before, should be easy to examine it visually.
aaa
06-12-2012, 04:33 AM #2

Pretty sure you don't have an OVP. It is also not charging related.

Check your battery and alternator again. It's very easy to ruin a new battery by running it down several times. Break out the multimeter and see whats going on.

I've had a frayed alternator cable before, should be easy to examine it visually.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

06-12-2012, 12:00 PM #3
I had the same issue. Replaced battery and alternator. Even tried a dew different voltage regulators. An in car test said regulator was bad on 3 different regulators. I took the alternator out and had it bench tested at a different shop and they said it was fine. I said "This shit ain't working!" (In a more polite way) and they took it back and gave me a new alternator. Everything was fine after that. The tests aren't always good info I guess. I got really good at replacing alternators after that ordeal. Don't forget the dummy light it the dash too. If the bulb is dead no power goes to the alternator to initiate charging.

" straighten up that star on the grill, assholes."

lgreeley83
06-12-2012, 12:00 PM #3

I had the same issue. Replaced battery and alternator. Even tried a dew different voltage regulators. An in car test said regulator was bad on 3 different regulators. I took the alternator out and had it bench tested at a different shop and they said it was fine. I said "This shit ain't working!" (In a more polite way) and they took it back and gave me a new alternator. Everything was fine after that. The tests aren't always good info I guess. I got really good at replacing alternators after that ordeal. Don't forget the dummy light it the dash too. If the bulb is dead no power goes to the alternator to initiate charging.

" straighten up that star on the grill, assholes."

dieselsmoke300d
To many things I say: Bah Humbug!

06-12-2012, 07:08 PM #4
@aaa Yeah I kinda noticed that after I posted this. Apparently they only put the OVP in certain models. And I have yet to really examine the cable.

@lgreeley83 It was a pain in the butt to replace my alternator. Also my idiot friend who was helping me get it out went and broke the tensioner in order to get it out... (And no that isn't the issue, I've already made sure) Kind of an odd way to mount an alternator I think. And really? A dead bulb can cause that?? That's a little strange.

Matt.

'85 300SD Turbo
'92 Subaru SVX
'83 Pontiac Firebird S/E
'88 Pontiac Firebird
dieselsmoke300d
06-12-2012, 07:08 PM #4

@aaa Yeah I kinda noticed that after I posted this. Apparently they only put the OVP in certain models. And I have yet to really examine the cable.

@lgreeley83 It was a pain in the butt to replace my alternator. Also my idiot friend who was helping me get it out went and broke the tensioner in order to get it out... (And no that isn't the issue, I've already made sure) Kind of an odd way to mount an alternator I think. And really? A dead bulb can cause that?? That's a little strange.

Matt.

'85 300SD Turbo
'92 Subaru SVX
'83 Pontiac Firebird S/E
'88 Pontiac Firebird

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average