STD Other Open I cant win with work spaces

I cant win with work spaces

I cant win with work spaces

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

JB3
Superturbo

06-09-2012, 10:31 AM #1
So about 6 months ago, I was renting a 3500 sqf space that turned out to be a major heath hazard due to completely illegal plumbing and venting setups. Combined with a landlord who could give a shit, never spent a single dime on the building.

After a clusterfuk of nonsense, I found a BRAND new building and rented a space early, only to be fukked by the electrician taking not two weeks to finish wiring as he said, but a grand total of 4 months.

I finally move everything over, and im just hitting my stride getting settled, when I get a visit yesterday from the building inspector and code enforcement lady, who tell me my occupation of the building is illegal, and I have to get out "for my safety". Big Grin

turns out the idiot electrician never called the fire department for a fire inspeciton, and the building does not have a legal certificate of occupancy based on this. Fortunately the landlord is just as involved in taking care of this as i am, but what a mess.

Just had to vent. Big Grin
I moved out of a deathtrap health hazard location that had a legal inspection on it, however useless, into a good, safe, legal space which is missing the inspection, and is now considered a "deathtrap health hazard" until the city gets 100 bucks and an inspection is done.

Im beside myself.
This post was last modified: 06-09-2012, 10:32 AM by JB3.

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

JB3
06-09-2012, 10:31 AM #1

So about 6 months ago, I was renting a 3500 sqf space that turned out to be a major heath hazard due to completely illegal plumbing and venting setups. Combined with a landlord who could give a shit, never spent a single dime on the building.

After a clusterfuk of nonsense, I found a BRAND new building and rented a space early, only to be fukked by the electrician taking not two weeks to finish wiring as he said, but a grand total of 4 months.

I finally move everything over, and im just hitting my stride getting settled, when I get a visit yesterday from the building inspector and code enforcement lady, who tell me my occupation of the building is illegal, and I have to get out "for my safety". Big Grin

turns out the idiot electrician never called the fire department for a fire inspeciton, and the building does not have a legal certificate of occupancy based on this. Fortunately the landlord is just as involved in taking care of this as i am, but what a mess.

Just had to vent. Big Grin
I moved out of a deathtrap health hazard location that had a legal inspection on it, however useless, into a good, safe, legal space which is missing the inspection, and is now considered a "deathtrap health hazard" until the city gets 100 bucks and an inspection is done.

Im beside myself.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

Greazzer
Superturbo

06-10-2012, 06:44 AM #2
Those inspection folks don't know jack until they walk into my 24'x24' garage. If you want to see "safety issues", come see my clutter and mess. Sorry for your troubles. What happened to the pizza place next door ?

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...
Greazzer
06-10-2012, 06:44 AM #2

Those inspection folks don't know jack until they walk into my 24'x24' garage. If you want to see "safety issues", come see my clutter and mess. Sorry for your troubles. What happened to the pizza place next door ?

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...

JB3
Superturbo

06-11-2012, 01:25 PM #3
the pizza guy is still dealing with 1500 gallons of feces at the old shop. I filled out an official city complaint form to turn in, complete with pics and horrendous evidence, but didn't turn it in till I hear from the pizza guy. The city would close his place in about 10 seconds, and he's trying to get the landlord to solve the problem immediately without affecting his own business.
If the landlord doesn't do it, we are both sending in complaint forms. Ill put up with physical problems with the building, but not disease risk.

New place is excellent, but the old place safety issues were actual health hazards related to old school ever present shit problems like typhoid and dysentery from all this crap floating around in a giant pool right next to their prep kitchen, and with no venting or other plumbing.

That was the reason I moved out, I was not willing to deal with that. It all had to be pumped out, and the whole cesspool needed to be filled with concrete to eliminate the disease risk.

Also, to a lesser extent, the guy had the shop sink running out the side of the building and down into the local river.

a pic for your pleasure- Big Grin
This manhole goes into a full to the brim void full of sewage. There is an 8 foot crack in the top of this space, and outside the pic, another big hole down into it. The toilet is just bolted to the top of this tank. Has something like 5 years of people using that toilet collected. Nasty

[Image: bathroomwater.jpg]
This post was last modified: 06-11-2012, 01:29 PM by JB3.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
06-11-2012, 01:25 PM #3

the pizza guy is still dealing with 1500 gallons of feces at the old shop. I filled out an official city complaint form to turn in, complete with pics and horrendous evidence, but didn't turn it in till I hear from the pizza guy. The city would close his place in about 10 seconds, and he's trying to get the landlord to solve the problem immediately without affecting his own business.
If the landlord doesn't do it, we are both sending in complaint forms. Ill put up with physical problems with the building, but not disease risk.

New place is excellent, but the old place safety issues were actual health hazards related to old school ever present shit problems like typhoid and dysentery from all this crap floating around in a giant pool right next to their prep kitchen, and with no venting or other plumbing.

That was the reason I moved out, I was not willing to deal with that. It all had to be pumped out, and the whole cesspool needed to be filled with concrete to eliminate the disease risk.

Also, to a lesser extent, the guy had the shop sink running out the side of the building and down into the local river.

This manhole goes into a full to the brim void full of sewage. There is an 8 foot crack in the top of this space, and outside the pic, another big hole down into it. The toilet is just bolted to the top of this tank. Has something like 5 years of people using that toilet collected. Nasty

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

garage
Bush Taxi

06-11-2012, 07:37 PM #4
(06-11-2012, 01:25 PM)dropnosky the pizza guy is still dealing with 1500 gallons of feces at the old shop. I filled out an official city complaint form to turn in, complete with pics and horrendous evidence, but didn't turn it in till I hear from the pizza guy. The city would close his place in about 10 seconds, and he's trying to get the landlord to solve the problem immediately without affecting his own business.

HOLY SHIT!

1987 300D: EGR Delete, ARV Delete, Cold Air Intake...
garage
06-11-2012, 07:37 PM #4

(06-11-2012, 01:25 PM)dropnosky the pizza guy is still dealing with 1500 gallons of feces at the old shop. I filled out an official city complaint form to turn in, complete with pics and horrendous evidence, but didn't turn it in till I hear from the pizza guy. The city would close his place in about 10 seconds, and he's trying to get the landlord to solve the problem immediately without affecting his own business.

HOLY SHIT!

1987 300D: EGR Delete, ARV Delete, Cold Air Intake...

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

06-11-2012, 09:02 PM #5
Lol, I would throw a stick of dynamite in that shit and drive like hell!!! Big Grin

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
06-11-2012, 09:02 PM #5

Lol, I would throw a stick of dynamite in that shit and drive like hell!!! Big Grin

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

06-15-2012, 08:11 AM #6
How do you find shop space for rent? I've been looking but can't find anything

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
06-15-2012, 08:11 AM #6

How do you find shop space for rent? I've been looking but can't find anything

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

JB3
Superturbo

06-15-2012, 09:03 AM #7
(06-15-2012, 08:11 AM)Simpler=Better How do you find shop space for rent? I've been looking but can't find anything

I was just keeping my eye open on craigslist for the first space, and the second was on my commute, so I watched them build the building.

The way im doing it is part hobby shop, part work. I run a branch of a small aftermarket industrial supply company shipping a receiving, and ive divided half the spaces into hobby shop, and half into work space, which allows me to afford this extravagance on top of home rent.

coastal high population prices though, the old one was 1000 a month for 3500sqf, and the new one is 900 for 1500sqf, but 3 stories high. I consider myself lucky at those rates. Big Grin

Some of the guys on the board probably have twice the space for half the rent further west and out of town, but im right in the middle of the city and close to my house and highway for work reasons, so it works out.
MD I imagine is probably similar rate location though. What do you see on craigslist?

I also swooped in like a vulture and collected a large amount of equipment from a closing auto shop, including a lift and other crap. Its amazing how cheap you can find that stuff, but then you have to deal with it and set it up, which increases the cost ect.

Some developments though, fire marshall came through and inspected by looking from the front entrance. I had removed my welder and torch, and the guy was happy with the setup as long as I doubled the fire extinguisher presence in the space. Next step it to get official city permission to do what I do in the space, which will cost 50 bucks, then two more inspections, code enforcement, and safety, and viola, I should be legit.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
06-15-2012, 09:03 AM #7

(06-15-2012, 08:11 AM)Simpler=Better How do you find shop space for rent? I've been looking but can't find anything

I was just keeping my eye open on craigslist for the first space, and the second was on my commute, so I watched them build the building.

The way im doing it is part hobby shop, part work. I run a branch of a small aftermarket industrial supply company shipping a receiving, and ive divided half the spaces into hobby shop, and half into work space, which allows me to afford this extravagance on top of home rent.

coastal high population prices though, the old one was 1000 a month for 3500sqf, and the new one is 900 for 1500sqf, but 3 stories high. I consider myself lucky at those rates. Big Grin

Some of the guys on the board probably have twice the space for half the rent further west and out of town, but im right in the middle of the city and close to my house and highway for work reasons, so it works out.
MD I imagine is probably similar rate location though. What do you see on craigslist?

I also swooped in like a vulture and collected a large amount of equipment from a closing auto shop, including a lift and other crap. Its amazing how cheap you can find that stuff, but then you have to deal with it and set it up, which increases the cost ect.

Some developments though, fire marshall came through and inspected by looking from the front entrance. I had removed my welder and torch, and the guy was happy with the setup as long as I doubled the fire extinguisher presence in the space. Next step it to get official city permission to do what I do in the space, which will cost 50 bucks, then two more inspections, code enforcement, and safety, and viola, I should be legit.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

06-15-2012, 09:50 AM #8
Ah, yeah I'm not so lucky there....the listing around here are insane, I might as well pay a shop to build my car for the cost of a rental.

Simpler=Better
06-15-2012, 09:50 AM #8

Ah, yeah I'm not so lucky there....the listing around here are insane, I might as well pay a shop to build my car for the cost of a rental.

JB3
Superturbo

01-10-2013, 10:51 AM #9
just had to update this before I forgot all the steps.

so, what I needed to be in this space was-

A- a certificate of occupancy
B- a business license for the city of central falls

Simple right? Big Grin

Step one-
I had to file a request for zoning judgement at the zoning office, this involves buying a form for 50 bucks, filling it out saying what I plan to do for business, and 2 weeks later receiving a document from the division of code enforcement saying my intentions comply with city and state zoning requirements.

step two-
I personally have two LLCs, one for my shipping and receiving business, one for a rental property. One based in NY, the other in CT. In order to get the business license for Central falls in RI, I needed a LLC in RI. That involved applying for a foreign entity LLC in RI.
to get the foreign entity approved, you need a certificate of existence from the home state where the LLC is registered.

step three-
send 50 bucks to New York with a request for certificate of existence with state seal

step four-
after waiting 4 months for the NY request to never get sent, threatening call from zoning office means that I sent 150 bucks to CT with a request for certificate of existence with state seal expedited for my other LLC.

step five-
giving CT credit, they got me that certificate in two days. Fill out LLC application for registration for the state of RI and providence plantations (full name). Turn in with certificate of existence for CT, and 150 dollar filing fee for state of RI.

step six-
with stamped LLC registration, head to central falls and pick up petition for license. pay city of central falls 75 dollars for document.

step seven-
Take petition to landlord, and landlord signs petition with notary present saying he knows what im up to in the space

step eight-
take petition to central falls zoning office, zoning office signs and stamps petition

step nine-
take petition to tax assessor for central falls, tax assessor signs saying I don't owe any secret or double secret extra taxes

step ten-
take petition to city clerk and turn in with LLC registration, zoning judgement, and certificate of existence from CT.

step eleven-
petition is now scheduled! This requires attending Central falls city hall city council meeting, being called up before council with your petition, answering questions about your proposed business activites, and getting approval from the council.

step twelve-
council approval means returning to zoning office, and getting an application for certificate of occupancy.

thats where I am now. Apparently, I fill out this application, jump through some more hoops, maybe run in a wheel for a while, and I can get my business license.
Ill update as I navigate further through the bureaucracy

UPDATE-

step thirteen-
surprise surprise, certificate of occupancy application costs 100 bucks.
get occupancy application signed by landlord

step fourteen-
remove welder, torch, fluids, and gas cans from unit, hide at home

step fourteen-
schedule fire inspection, and have fire chief sign occupancy application

step fifteen-
schedule electrical inspection, have inspector sign occupancy application

step sixteen-
schedule plumbing inspection, have inspector sign occupancy application

step seventeen-
schedule public works department inspection, have inspector sign application

step eighteen-
schedule building inspection, have building inspector sign application

Still at step thirteen, landlord is on vacation in FL right now. more updates later. Supposedly after all these inspections, I go back to city hall and am that much closer to a business license in hand and a CO on my wall.
This post was last modified: 01-10-2013, 11:25 AM by JB3.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
01-10-2013, 10:51 AM #9

just had to update this before I forgot all the steps.

so, what I needed to be in this space was-

A- a certificate of occupancy
B- a business license for the city of central falls

Simple right? Big Grin

Step one-
I had to file a request for zoning judgement at the zoning office, this involves buying a form for 50 bucks, filling it out saying what I plan to do for business, and 2 weeks later receiving a document from the division of code enforcement saying my intentions comply with city and state zoning requirements.

step two-
I personally have two LLCs, one for my shipping and receiving business, one for a rental property. One based in NY, the other in CT. In order to get the business license for Central falls in RI, I needed a LLC in RI. That involved applying for a foreign entity LLC in RI.
to get the foreign entity approved, you need a certificate of existence from the home state where the LLC is registered.

step three-
send 50 bucks to New York with a request for certificate of existence with state seal

step four-
after waiting 4 months for the NY request to never get sent, threatening call from zoning office means that I sent 150 bucks to CT with a request for certificate of existence with state seal expedited for my other LLC.

step five-
giving CT credit, they got me that certificate in two days. Fill out LLC application for registration for the state of RI and providence plantations (full name). Turn in with certificate of existence for CT, and 150 dollar filing fee for state of RI.

step six-
with stamped LLC registration, head to central falls and pick up petition for license. pay city of central falls 75 dollars for document.

step seven-
Take petition to landlord, and landlord signs petition with notary present saying he knows what im up to in the space

step eight-
take petition to central falls zoning office, zoning office signs and stamps petition

step nine-
take petition to tax assessor for central falls, tax assessor signs saying I don't owe any secret or double secret extra taxes

step ten-
take petition to city clerk and turn in with LLC registration, zoning judgement, and certificate of existence from CT.

step eleven-
petition is now scheduled! This requires attending Central falls city hall city council meeting, being called up before council with your petition, answering questions about your proposed business activites, and getting approval from the council.

step twelve-
council approval means returning to zoning office, and getting an application for certificate of occupancy.

thats where I am now. Apparently, I fill out this application, jump through some more hoops, maybe run in a wheel for a while, and I can get my business license.
Ill update as I navigate further through the bureaucracy

UPDATE-

step thirteen-
surprise surprise, certificate of occupancy application costs 100 bucks.
get occupancy application signed by landlord

step fourteen-
remove welder, torch, fluids, and gas cans from unit, hide at home

step fourteen-
schedule fire inspection, and have fire chief sign occupancy application

step fifteen-
schedule electrical inspection, have inspector sign occupancy application

step sixteen-
schedule plumbing inspection, have inspector sign occupancy application

step seventeen-
schedule public works department inspection, have inspector sign application

step eighteen-
schedule building inspection, have building inspector sign application

Still at step thirteen, landlord is on vacation in FL right now. more updates later. Supposedly after all these inspections, I go back to city hall and am that much closer to a business license in hand and a CO on my wall.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

01-10-2013, 11:41 AM #10
Yeah I'll stick to my desk job

Simpler=Better
01-10-2013, 11:41 AM #10

Yeah I'll stick to my desk job

JB3
Superturbo

01-10-2013, 12:00 PM #11
(01-10-2013, 11:41 AM)Simpler=Better Yeah I'll stick to my desk job

at this point, the whole process gets funnier to me the more complex it gets.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
01-10-2013, 12:00 PM #11

(01-10-2013, 11:41 AM)Simpler=Better Yeah I'll stick to my desk job

at this point, the whole process gets funnier to me the more complex it gets.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

01-10-2013, 07:38 PM #12
small business FTW Big Grin
Purplecomputer
01-10-2013, 07:38 PM #12

small business FTW Big Grin

JB3
Superturbo

01-11-2013, 01:43 PM #13
(01-10-2013, 07:38 PM)Purplecomputer small business FTW Big Grin

and getting smaller as I literally spend days trying to get all these people nailed down instead of working.

Ive spent today calling all the inspectors, and after at least 5 hours, I still don't have a single specific appointment lined up. Its like herding cats. The most ive done is nailed down a two hour window in which the fire marshall might be in his office on sunday. No one but him can set his appointments apparently, though he does have a slew of cute sounding secretarys
This post was last modified: 01-11-2013, 01:43 PM by JB3.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
01-11-2013, 01:43 PM #13

(01-10-2013, 07:38 PM)Purplecomputer small business FTW Big Grin

and getting smaller as I literally spend days trying to get all these people nailed down instead of working.

Ive spent today calling all the inspectors, and after at least 5 hours, I still don't have a single specific appointment lined up. Its like herding cats. The most ive done is nailed down a two hour window in which the fire marshall might be in his office on sunday. No one but him can set his appointments apparently, though he does have a slew of cute sounding secretarys

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
Superturbo

02-08-2013, 07:51 AM #14
Steps 14 thru 18 complete. I was not in compliance for my lift wiring said the abrasive electrical inspector. Apparently, new law says lifts must have an emergeny power shutoff within a couple feet of the control box.

Step 19- spend 180 bucks and have breaker shutoff switch directly installed on lift post

Step 20- rescedule electrical inspection

Step 21- with passed lift inspection and other inspections in compliance, wait 2 weeks, and appear at zoning office to pick up certificate of occupancy

Step 22- take certificate of occupancy to city clerks office, pay 125 bucks for business license issued

Step 23- frame and display business license within 5 feet of entrance to business, within easy view.

And I'm done!
Just waiting on the landlord to me he's set too, and then
Step 24- return welder and torch to work space

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
02-08-2013, 07:51 AM #14

Steps 14 thru 18 complete. I was not in compliance for my lift wiring said the abrasive electrical inspector. Apparently, new law says lifts must have an emergeny power shutoff within a couple feet of the control box.

Step 19- spend 180 bucks and have breaker shutoff switch directly installed on lift post

Step 20- rescedule electrical inspection

Step 21- with passed lift inspection and other inspections in compliance, wait 2 weeks, and appear at zoning office to pick up certificate of occupancy

Step 22- take certificate of occupancy to city clerks office, pay 125 bucks for business license issued

Step 23- frame and display business license within 5 feet of entrance to business, within easy view.

And I'm done!
Just waiting on the landlord to me he's set too, and then
Step 24- return welder and torch to work space

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

02-12-2013, 10:03 PM #15
I am so lucky to have my own shop to work in...
Too bad its always full Big Grin

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
02-12-2013, 10:03 PM #15

I am so lucky to have my own shop to work in...
Too bad its always full Big Grin

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average