STD Tuning Engine Help IP or dead cylinder?!?

Help IP or dead cylinder?!?

Help IP or dead cylinder?!?

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Strokinokie
Naturally-aspirated

06-08-2012, 01:58 AM #1
Hello I am Ryan

Question: recently took a 1600 mile trip on fresh oil/fuel filter change plus new Mercedes-source injector tips. 800 miles in it is missing like crazy new tank of fuel and entire 80oz bottle of power service injector cleaner and 500 miles later still missing on two cylinders. OK Two new injectors #4 and #5 cylinders "dead/ missing cylinders" and we are running smoother but with a "loud" obnoxious PING PING PING only @ #5 cylinder. crack the #5 injector line ping gos away but a more obvious miss "car shakes more" but still shakes with the line sealed to injector. OK i have adjusted the valves to proper spec; entire new set of injectors; new injection line to #5 injector; purged injection pump; pulled out #5 prechamber looks great!; the only things i have left at the top of my mind to do is replace injection pump!?!? drain tank of fuel replace with new fuel. or do compression test on #5 cylinder. i am looking for any more ideas thoughts experiences to help anything would be helpful. For those of you who know how the OM617's idle this one idles out great except for the loud ping in one cylinder. by the way i am working with a 1983 300sd. i am in the process of uploading a video of it idling/ running. OH and yes running down the road it does not miss a lick runs out smooth no problems just the ping/miss/shake at idle up to 1000 RPM that sounds like SH*! Thanks in advance :-)
This post was last modified: 06-08-2012, 02:11 AM by Strokinokie.
Strokinokie
06-08-2012, 01:58 AM #1

Hello I am Ryan

Question: recently took a 1600 mile trip on fresh oil/fuel filter change plus new Mercedes-source injector tips. 800 miles in it is missing like crazy new tank of fuel and entire 80oz bottle of power service injector cleaner and 500 miles later still missing on two cylinders. OK Two new injectors #4 and #5 cylinders "dead/ missing cylinders" and we are running smoother but with a "loud" obnoxious PING PING PING only @ #5 cylinder. crack the #5 injector line ping gos away but a more obvious miss "car shakes more" but still shakes with the line sealed to injector. OK i have adjusted the valves to proper spec; entire new set of injectors; new injection line to #5 injector; purged injection pump; pulled out #5 prechamber looks great!; the only things i have left at the top of my mind to do is replace injection pump!?!? drain tank of fuel replace with new fuel. or do compression test on #5 cylinder. i am looking for any more ideas thoughts experiences to help anything would be helpful. For those of you who know how the OM617's idle this one idles out great except for the loud ping in one cylinder. by the way i am working with a 1983 300sd. i am in the process of uploading a video of it idling/ running. OH and yes running down the road it does not miss a lick runs out smooth no problems just the ping/miss/shake at idle up to 1000 RPM that sounds like SH*! Thanks in advance :-)

Strokinokie
Naturally-aspirated

06-08-2012, 03:06 AM #2
Here is the video. listen for the ping/ knock. after i crack line and re-tighten.

http://youtu.be/hOZMN1pY7Ts
Strokinokie
06-08-2012, 03:06 AM #2

Here is the video. listen for the ping/ knock. after i crack line and re-tighten.

http://youtu.be/hOZMN1pY7Ts

Alastair E
Moderator?--Nah...

06-08-2012, 03:31 AM #3
Switch the Injectors round--see if the fault follows the injector or stays on same cylinder.

I doubt its the pump, I suspect an injector nozzle or dirty re-assembly of an injector-(Gotta be absolutely Spotless)-Or someone bent an HP line when changing an injector causing internal flaking of the surface, which is then causing the injector to stick....

Knocks/Pings are nearly always Injector related--all things being equal....

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]
Alastair E
06-08-2012, 03:31 AM #3

Switch the Injectors round--see if the fault follows the injector or stays on same cylinder.

I doubt its the pump, I suspect an injector nozzle or dirty re-assembly of an injector-(Gotta be absolutely Spotless)-Or someone bent an HP line when changing an injector causing internal flaking of the surface, which is then causing the injector to stick....

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]

Strokinokie
Naturally-aspirated

06-08-2012, 11:07 AM #4
(06-08-2012, 03:31 AM)Alastair E Switch the Injectors round--see if the fault follows the injector or stays on same cylinder.

Has absolutely brand new complete set of injectors. Have replaced with many other and ruled out injectors. Has another #5 Injection line from another Mercedes.
Strokinokie
06-08-2012, 11:07 AM #4

(06-08-2012, 03:31 AM)Alastair E Switch the Injectors round--see if the fault follows the injector or stays on same cylinder.

Has absolutely brand new complete set of injectors. Have replaced with many other and ruled out injectors. Has another #5 Injection line from another Mercedes.

OM616
10mm MW

06-08-2012, 11:43 AM #5
Do a compression test to check the mechanical condition of the cylinder(s).

I assume that the cam lobes are not gone as you did a valve adjustment correct?

If the compression is good and swapping the injectors has no effect, I would inspect the Delivery Valve, I have had DVs go bad, the seats eroded and no longer held the proper post injection line pressure. Also the DV return spring could be broken. A bad DV causes bad nailing, high EGTS, smoking, and could greatly cripple the IP's ability to inject fuel in that cylinder.

First verify that the engine is mechanically sound.
OM616
06-08-2012, 11:43 AM #5

Do a compression test to check the mechanical condition of the cylinder(s).

If the compression is good and swapping the injectors has no effect, I would inspect the Delivery Valve, I have had DVs go bad, the seats eroded and no longer held the proper post injection line pressure. Also the DV return spring could be broken. A bad DV causes bad nailing, high EGTS, smoking, and could greatly cripple the IP's ability to inject fuel in that cylinder.

Strokinokie
Naturally-aspirated

06-08-2012, 12:13 PM #6
(06-08-2012, 11:43 AM)OM616 Do a compression test to check the mechanical condition of the cylinder(s).

Thank you guys for the responses i am $400 into it I will try switching delivery valves as i did pull them and clean them. as of now i have not a compression tester. really eating me up throwing money at things. Valve lobes looked good to me. i really dont want to buy another SD and pull the motor.
Strokinokie
06-08-2012, 12:13 PM #6

(06-08-2012, 11:43 AM)OM616 Do a compression test to check the mechanical condition of the cylinder(s).

Thank you guys for the responses i am $400 into it I will try switching delivery valves as i did pull them and clean them. as of now i have not a compression tester. really eating me up throwing money at things. Valve lobes looked good to me. i really dont want to buy another SD and pull the motor.

Kozuka
I'm_Badass

06-08-2012, 01:04 PM #7
Did you pull the oil pan and see if it was full of chunks?

1983 300TD : 4 Speed : SLS Delete : More. Daily Deathcab
1987 190E/16v/OM603 : 5 Speed : SLS Delete : Lots More..W201 Project
Kozuka
06-08-2012, 01:04 PM #7

Did you pull the oil pan and see if it was full of chunks?

Strokinokie
Naturally-aspirated

06-08-2012, 01:34 PM #8
(06-08-2012, 01:04 PM)Kozuka Did you pull the oil pan and see if it was full of chunks?

I have not pulled oil pan.... yet. i switched delivery valves/springs/plunger with a perfectly running 300d and it still does the same thing.
Strokinokie
06-08-2012, 01:34 PM #8

(06-08-2012, 01:04 PM)Kozuka Did you pull the oil pan and see if it was full of chunks?

I have not pulled oil pan.... yet. i switched delivery valves/springs/plunger with a perfectly running 300d and it still does the same thing.

Kozuka
I'm_Badass

06-08-2012, 03:58 PM #9
Are you getting lots of black smoke out of the exhaust?

Kozuka
06-08-2012, 03:58 PM #9

Are you getting lots of black smoke out of the exhaust?

Strokinokie
Naturally-aspirated

06-09-2012, 11:57 AM #10
(06-08-2012, 03:58 PM)Kozuka Are you getting lots of black smoke out of the exhaust?

Yes. At idle and at take-off.
Strokinokie
06-09-2012, 11:57 AM #10

(06-08-2012, 03:58 PM)Kozuka Are you getting lots of black smoke out of the exhaust?

Yes. At idle and at take-off.

Kozuka
I'm_Badass

06-09-2012, 01:30 PM #11
My engine had the same issues, knocking/dead-cylinder/shaking tons of black smoke at idle & acceleration. I pulled the pan found what I assume were pieces of the cylinder, rod, and/or piston floating around in there. If you don't find that then pull the head check the valves, piston ring, & cylinder.

Kozuka
06-09-2012, 01:30 PM #11

My engine had the same issues, knocking/dead-cylinder/shaking tons of black smoke at idle & acceleration. I pulled the pan found what I assume were pieces of the cylinder, rod, and/or piston floating around in there. If you don't find that then pull the head check the valves, piston ring, & cylinder.

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average