STD Maintenance General Vito 108D review so far and ongoing niggles

Vito 108D review so far and ongoing niggles

Vito 108D review so far and ongoing niggles

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

yorkie_chris
Naturally-aspirated

06-06-2012, 02:05 AM #1
Bought this in February, done probably 5000 miles since. It's not fast, but so far hasn't been much trouble. It does about 36mpg average, had 45+mpg on a run but that was doing 50mph bored to death.

When I got it, it was proper gutless, very little torque so you had to downshift for the slightest incline, this resulted in getting 21mpg which hurt quite a lot.

I tried giving it new filters, fresh fuel, a filter full of ATF and an Italian tune up... even steam injection. No change. Was pretty convinced it wasn't a real engine issue since the governed torque at tickover and low throttle was actually OK.

Ended up adjusting the full load limit on the governor, which is a git to get access. But has given it loads more oomph, up to where a stock one should be. And much better economy, thanks very much to this forum for the info Smile

Then later on I had an air leak on a fuel line, so ripped the line out and replaced with a single piece one rather than the horrible O ring connectors. Tank with 50l of fuel in it can be a right git to remove and refit you wouldn't have guessed...

THEN after doing 1200 miles in 3 days noticed a bit of a squeaking, found it was the bottom ball joint guard plates rubbing on the disc... because the wheel bearing was completely shot. That was actually easier to replace than the fuel line...

Still got plenty bits and bobs to be getting on with.

There are some triangular pieces which support the front arch that have rotted out, reckon I'll pull the front wings off to weld that up. Anyone done this?

Occasionally after standing for a while the oil light remains lit for a number of seconds. If recently run is never a problem. I believe the filter is draining down while stood. Does anyone know what acts as the no return valve in the oil system?

The heater only blows hot, and the top screen clearing vents blow cold. I reckon that means the valve thing is knackered or broken AND that the heater core is airlocked or needs flushing. Dunno whether it's a cable operated valve or electric yet but the knob doesn't feel like it's moving anything mechanical.

Need to do front discs, pads, and a track rod end. And possibly another mystery front corners knocking noise but can't find it. No biggie.

The cab lights have stopped working, which is odd, and doubtless fun since the mercedes WIS DVDs I got have proved sodding useless in terms of providing workshop information. Oh for a wiring diagram...

The gearbox is half knackered, the sliding cam block thing is worn to death. The syncros are completely gone on 1st gear and it occasionally crashes a bit going into second when cold. Anyone know where to get GETRAG internal parts?

And last of all (so far...) does anyone know how to bleed the cooling system? Is there a special procedure? Especially the heater core.

Any advice on the above greatly appreciated, but otherwise will update on how it goes in hope it helps someone else out.
yorkie_chris
06-06-2012, 02:05 AM #1

Bought this in February, done probably 5000 miles since. It's not fast, but so far hasn't been much trouble. It does about 36mpg average, had 45+mpg on a run but that was doing 50mph bored to death.

When I got it, it was proper gutless, very little torque so you had to downshift for the slightest incline, this resulted in getting 21mpg which hurt quite a lot.

I tried giving it new filters, fresh fuel, a filter full of ATF and an Italian tune up... even steam injection. No change. Was pretty convinced it wasn't a real engine issue since the governed torque at tickover and low throttle was actually OK.

Ended up adjusting the full load limit on the governor, which is a git to get access. But has given it loads more oomph, up to where a stock one should be. And much better economy, thanks very much to this forum for the info Smile

Then later on I had an air leak on a fuel line, so ripped the line out and replaced with a single piece one rather than the horrible O ring connectors. Tank with 50l of fuel in it can be a right git to remove and refit you wouldn't have guessed...

THEN after doing 1200 miles in 3 days noticed a bit of a squeaking, found it was the bottom ball joint guard plates rubbing on the disc... because the wheel bearing was completely shot. That was actually easier to replace than the fuel line...

Still got plenty bits and bobs to be getting on with.

There are some triangular pieces which support the front arch that have rotted out, reckon I'll pull the front wings off to weld that up. Anyone done this?

Occasionally after standing for a while the oil light remains lit for a number of seconds. If recently run is never a problem. I believe the filter is draining down while stood. Does anyone know what acts as the no return valve in the oil system?

The heater only blows hot, and the top screen clearing vents blow cold. I reckon that means the valve thing is knackered or broken AND that the heater core is airlocked or needs flushing. Dunno whether it's a cable operated valve or electric yet but the knob doesn't feel like it's moving anything mechanical.

Need to do front discs, pads, and a track rod end. And possibly another mystery front corners knocking noise but can't find it. No biggie.

The cab lights have stopped working, which is odd, and doubtless fun since the mercedes WIS DVDs I got have proved sodding useless in terms of providing workshop information. Oh for a wiring diagram...

The gearbox is half knackered, the sliding cam block thing is worn to death. The syncros are completely gone on 1st gear and it occasionally crashes a bit going into second when cold. Anyone know where to get GETRAG internal parts?

And last of all (so far...) does anyone know how to bleed the cooling system? Is there a special procedure? Especially the heater core.

Any advice on the above greatly appreciated, but otherwise will update on how it goes in hope it helps someone else out.

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

06-06-2012, 11:49 AM #2
post some pictues of the car, or van is it?

we don't get to many vans on here
Purplecomputer
06-06-2012, 11:49 AM #2

post some pictues of the car, or van is it?

we don't get to many vans on here

w123love
Stockish

06-06-2012, 12:17 PM #3
Pretty sure the Vito is a van. Looks almost identical to the Eurovan. I wish we had them over here! [/align]

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN
w123love
06-06-2012, 12:17 PM #3

Pretty sure the Vito is a van. Looks almost identical to the Eurovan. I wish we had them over here! [/align]

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN

yorkie_chris
Naturally-aspirated

06-07-2012, 03:11 AM #4
Yep it's a van, not sure they sold them in states.
Suits me because they're slightly smaller than the ubiquitous transit van, have the inline injector pump rather than the rotary and can still fit 2 motorbikes in the back.

Wrong wheel drive, OM601 4 cylinder naturally asthmatic engine. They also did a people carrier (MPV you call em?) version... same thing but with windows and seats in the back.

[Image: 126603612.jpg]

Mine's a little cleaner than that, but not much.
This post was last modified: 06-07-2012, 03:13 AM by yorkie_chris.
yorkie_chris
06-07-2012, 03:11 AM #4

Yep it's a van, not sure they sold them in states.
Suits me because they're slightly smaller than the ubiquitous transit van, have the inline injector pump rather than the rotary and can still fit 2 motorbikes in the back.

Wrong wheel drive, OM601 4 cylinder naturally asthmatic engine. They also did a people carrier (MPV you call em?) version... same thing but with windows and seats in the back.

[Image: 126603612.jpg]

Mine's a little cleaner than that, but not much.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

06-07-2012, 08:43 AM #5
I would drive that all day long.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
06-07-2012, 08:43 AM #5

I would drive that all day long.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

yorkie_chris
Naturally-aspirated

06-07-2012, 10:01 AM #6
Oh that's the only option... because that's how long it takes to get anywhere in it..

Doesn't half feel great to get back on the bike and be back to 90+mph easy motorway cruising speeds and no traffic...
yorkie_chris
06-07-2012, 10:01 AM #6

Oh that's the only option... because that's how long it takes to get anywhere in it..

Doesn't half feel great to get back on the bike and be back to 90+mph easy motorway cruising speeds and no traffic...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average