STD Tuning Engine Best all around turbo for factory IP 617?

Best all around turbo for factory IP 617?

Best all around turbo for factory IP 617?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RLMS
Naturally-aspirated

05-28-2012, 10:37 AM #1
Hey guys, sorry for such a dumb first post but, I have been lurking for awhile and figured I'd check and see every ones opinion!

I am putting a 617 in my wife's 95 4 runner, My ? is, what Variable fin turbo would be best for this motor with a FACTORY IP or slightly modded IP. I am looking for the best fuel economy and reliability out of this! She will be using the truck as a DD, city and Hwy driving! I would like to stay away from modding the crap out of the motor just do due to the reliability stand point!!

Thanks

Justin

77 FJ-40, "The Dogs Bollocks" OM617, boost controller, Pyro, 37"s, Locked ft+rr, blah,bla,blah...customers Build
RLMS
05-28-2012, 10:37 AM #1

Hey guys, sorry for such a dumb first post but, I have been lurking for awhile and figured I'd check and see every ones opinion!

I am putting a 617 in my wife's 95 4 runner, My ? is, what Variable fin turbo would be best for this motor with a FACTORY IP or slightly modded IP. I am looking for the best fuel economy and reliability out of this! She will be using the truck as a DD, city and Hwy driving! I would like to stay away from modding the crap out of the motor just do due to the reliability stand point!!

Thanks

Justin

77 FJ-40, "The Dogs Bollocks" OM617, boost controller, Pyro, 37"s, Locked ft+rr, blah,bla,blah...customers Build

aaa
GT2256V

05-28-2012, 07:47 PM #2
GT2256v works ok for stock, it's not the most optimal at high rpm but its far more readily available.

How're you planning to control it?
aaa
05-28-2012, 07:47 PM #2

GT2256v works ok for stock, it's not the most optimal at high rpm but its far more readily available.

How're you planning to control it?

RLMS
Naturally-aspirated

05-29-2012, 07:13 PM #3
well I'm not quite sure hot I would control it, but hey thats what this forum is for!!!! What would you suggest? Does any one know what psi boost these turbos would run at idle?

Thanks Justin

RLMS
05-29-2012, 07:13 PM #3

well I'm not quite sure hot I would control it, but hey thats what this forum is for!!!! What would you suggest? Does any one know what psi boost these turbos would run at idle?

Thanks Justin

aaa
GT2256V

05-29-2012, 08:13 PM #4
The control is tricky. The vane lever basically cranks up exhaust backpressure to result in instant boost, like a few psi at idle. You don't want backpressure all the time though, so you can't just use a simple pressure actuator that backs off when the boost you want is achieved.

Ideally you want it to start cranking up the boost whenever you push the pedal down, and back off when you're cruising, and also back off when the desired boost is achieved. So one way is to have combination of actuator and connection to the throttle linkage, and another way would be to create an entire computer to take that stuff into account and move the lever accordingly.

Another way would be to just fix the lever in a certain position. Then you can easily fine tune when you want boost to kick in and when you feel the backpressure getting to be too much. It won't be as instant that way though.
aaa
05-29-2012, 08:13 PM #4

The control is tricky. The vane lever basically cranks up exhaust backpressure to result in instant boost, like a few psi at idle. You don't want backpressure all the time though, so you can't just use a simple pressure actuator that backs off when the boost you want is achieved.

Ideally you want it to start cranking up the boost whenever you push the pedal down, and back off when you're cruising, and also back off when the desired boost is achieved. So one way is to have combination of actuator and connection to the throttle linkage, and another way would be to create an entire computer to take that stuff into account and move the lever accordingly.

Another way would be to just fix the lever in a certain position. Then you can easily fine tune when you want boost to kick in and when you feel the backpressure getting to be too much. It won't be as instant that way though.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average