STD Tuning Drivetrain 1976 W115 300D Auto Starter Engages Shift Into N or P

1976 W115 300D Auto Starter Engages Shift Into N or P

1976 W115 300D Auto Starter Engages Shift Into N or P

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

rdavisinva
TA 0301

05-26-2012, 08:16 AM #1
Just Bought a 1976 W115 300D and whenever the IG switch is all the way on and the shift leaver is put in N the starter engages and it happens sometime in park, but not always roughly 30% of the time.

I do not have the W115 manual, but have the Haynes 123 Series that covers 200D, 220D, 240D, 240TD, 300D, 300CD, and 300TD.
Apparently in UK there were 123 bodied 200D & 220D that we never saw here in USA.

Anyway it looks like there could be several problems that need fixing:

When the ignition switch is rotated to the right, the usual dash warning lights come on and the glow plug engages like it should. There is another switch position to the right that does not spring forward and back like the start position on a properly functioning ignition switch. When in neutral with the switch in the first position that brings on the dash lights, the starter does not engage when in N or P, but move the IG to the second right position and the starter engages.

After having it up on a lift noticed that there is lots of slack in the shift rods... so found bushings on eBay for $4.99 ea.

Since I am new to the W115 would like to locate the IG switch parts to correct this problem.

Did a lot of online research and then disassembled the switch cover by prying out the chrome ring and the plastic cover. The tumbler assembly had a small circlip that is now removed.

I do not see any slot where a wire or small pointed rod could be inserted to remove the tumbler.

Any suggestions as to how to remove the ignition tumbler and get the assembly apart and fix this problem would be welcome. Also need to find a source for the new parts or good used ones to make this assembly operational.

Am hoping a new tumbler assembly will solve the lack of spring resistance load going to the right and snapping back when releasing the key in the start position.

Thanks...
This post was last modified: 05-26-2012, 02:52 PM by rdavisinva.
rdavisinva
05-26-2012, 08:16 AM #1

Just Bought a 1976 W115 300D and whenever the IG switch is all the way on and the shift leaver is put in N the starter engages and it happens sometime in park, but not always roughly 30% of the time.

I do not have the W115 manual, but have the Haynes 123 Series that covers 200D, 220D, 240D, 240TD, 300D, 300CD, and 300TD.
Apparently in UK there were 123 bodied 200D & 220D that we never saw here in USA.

Anyway it looks like there could be several problems that need fixing:

When the ignition switch is rotated to the right, the usual dash warning lights come on and the glow plug engages like it should. There is another switch position to the right that does not spring forward and back like the start position on a properly functioning ignition switch. When in neutral with the switch in the first position that brings on the dash lights, the starter does not engage when in N or P, but move the IG to the second right position and the starter engages.

After having it up on a lift noticed that there is lots of slack in the shift rods... so found bushings on eBay for $4.99 ea.

Since I am new to the W115 would like to locate the IG switch parts to correct this problem.

Did a lot of online research and then disassembled the switch cover by prying out the chrome ring and the plastic cover. The tumbler assembly had a small circlip that is now removed.

I do not see any slot where a wire or small pointed rod could be inserted to remove the tumbler.

Any suggestions as to how to remove the ignition tumbler and get the assembly apart and fix this problem would be welcome. Also need to find a source for the new parts or good used ones to make this assembly operational.

Am hoping a new tumbler assembly will solve the lack of spring resistance load going to the right and snapping back when releasing the key in the start position.

Thanks...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average