STD Other Projects MOTOROAM RESTORATION-1975-30FT.

MOTOROAM RESTORATION-1975-30FT.

MOTOROAM RESTORATION-1975-30FT.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

MOTOROAM
Unregistered

05-25-2012, 12:22 AM #1
[/font][/size]MOTOROAM RESTORATION! Restoring one of the best R.V.s Ever Built! First I'd like to thank you for welcoming me to such a great site! This will be a little long of a post, as I am new and excited about this project. I studied many many posts and you folks really know your engines and have some great advice and links. Just a little recap on this R.V.- after 3 years of wrangling over price, the owner decided to sell. I changed the oil, lubes and inspected it for safe operation. Drove what i belive is a OM311 4 cyl. 2000 Miles. 1 reason way this is a GREAT MACHINE! Ran Perfect! Some brake adjustments. Now I estimate fuel MPG at close to 20....WOW right! Ok so now my first majorly R.V. restore project questions that I hope you all can help with. I hope to have pics of progress once I figure out the website tools.
1.) The outer lower skins seem to have air bubbles, so I'm sure I'm in for a major glue/adhesive adventure. What type of glue/adhesive is the best to use?
2.) Anyone know where to get a Blue Print of the Framing? I'm assuming it's a L508D Model, but any pics or prints of similiar models will help tho.
3.)On the Universal Joints there is a square block where a grease fitting should be, Is this little block removable as to install a grease fitting?
4.) Is there a grease fitting for the Constant Velocity Joints of the drive shafts? I can't find any.
5.)When painting the outside, would an Epoxy paint be best? Like a Marine epoxy?
I have been turning wrenches since I was 12, and I'm 51 now, so 39 years of building, don't be afraid to use tech terms. THANK YOU ALL, HOPE I CAN HELP YOU ALL SOMEDAY ALSO!
MOTOROAM
05-25-2012, 12:22 AM #1

[/font][/size]MOTOROAM RESTORATION! Restoring one of the best R.V.s Ever Built! First I'd like to thank you for welcoming me to such a great site! This will be a little long of a post, as I am new and excited about this project. I studied many many posts and you folks really know your engines and have some great advice and links. Just a little recap on this R.V.- after 3 years of wrangling over price, the owner decided to sell. I changed the oil, lubes and inspected it for safe operation. Drove what i belive is a OM311 4 cyl. 2000 Miles. 1 reason way this is a GREAT MACHINE! Ran Perfect! Some brake adjustments. Now I estimate fuel MPG at close to 20....WOW right! Ok so now my first majorly R.V. restore project questions that I hope you all can help with. I hope to have pics of progress once I figure out the website tools.
1.) The outer lower skins seem to have air bubbles, so I'm sure I'm in for a major glue/adhesive adventure. What type of glue/adhesive is the best to use?
2.) Anyone know where to get a Blue Print of the Framing? I'm assuming it's a L508D Model, but any pics or prints of similiar models will help tho.
3.)On the Universal Joints there is a square block where a grease fitting should be, Is this little block removable as to install a grease fitting?
4.) Is there a grease fitting for the Constant Velocity Joints of the drive shafts? I can't find any.
5.)When painting the outside, would an Epoxy paint be best? Like a Marine epoxy?
I have been turning wrenches since I was 12, and I'm 51 now, so 39 years of building, don't be afraid to use tech terms. THANK YOU ALL, HOPE I CAN HELP YOU ALL SOMEDAY ALSO!

SurfRodder
Jackass Extraordinaire

05-30-2012, 06:54 PM #2
(05-25-2012, 12:22 AM)MOTOROAM 1.) The outer lower skins seem to have air bubbles, so I'm sure I'm in for a major glue/adhesive adventure. What type of glue/adhesive is the best to use?

1 & 5: I;m a big fan of polyurethane, both for glue and paints... Marine poly in white (lasts longer) as much as possible I find to be best on my boat...
3: If its is what im picturing, you should be safe replacing the square driver plug with a small Zirc fitting... or to be extra safe, leave the square plug installed when not actually greasing it... but I've left the Zirc installed w/o issue on several applications...YMMV.
4: not sure, but if youre talking about the CV boots, I've never seen fittings that supply grase to the joints inside the boots

welcome to the forum!

W123 Mods: 4 speed ** manual climate control ** '85 Kalitucky intake ** manual windows & full tint ** Euro headlights retrofit w/bixenon projectors ** 4 brake light mod ** Vogtland 50mm drop front & Lesjofors S600 drop rear springs ** 16" rims ** late w126 brake spindles, rotors & calipers ** full suspension rehab ** Bilstein HDs ** AL129X alternator & 1/0 starter and charging cables ** 300GD clutch/flywheel ** AFCO 80103N radiator & Earl's 41610 oil cooler ** custom block-off plate, remote oil filter & t-stat ** MW IP w/ tomnik's 6.5mm 'Holly' elements **

S124 Mods: 400E Rear subframe ** SL600 Brakes ** Late 300E 210mm diff ** SLK230 6 speed ** 17" CLK rims ** Vented RF Fender ** Facelift Hood, Headlights, and Lower Cladding **

OBK# 62
SurfRodder
05-30-2012, 06:54 PM #2

(05-25-2012, 12:22 AM)MOTOROAM 1.) The outer lower skins seem to have air bubbles, so I'm sure I'm in for a major glue/adhesive adventure. What type of glue/adhesive is the best to use?

1 & 5: I;m a big fan of polyurethane, both for glue and paints... Marine poly in white (lasts longer) as much as possible I find to be best on my boat...
3: If its is what im picturing, you should be safe replacing the square driver plug with a small Zirc fitting... or to be extra safe, leave the square plug installed when not actually greasing it... but I've left the Zirc installed w/o issue on several applications...YMMV.
4: not sure, but if youre talking about the CV boots, I've never seen fittings that supply grase to the joints inside the boots

welcome to the forum!

W123 Mods: 4 speed ** manual climate control ** '85 Kalitucky intake ** manual windows & full tint ** Euro headlights retrofit w/bixenon projectors ** 4 brake light mod ** Vogtland 50mm drop front & Lesjofors S600 drop rear springs ** 16" rims ** late w126 brake spindles, rotors & calipers ** full suspension rehab ** Bilstein HDs ** AL129X alternator & 1/0 starter and charging cables ** 300GD clutch/flywheel ** AFCO 80103N radiator & Earl's 41610 oil cooler ** custom block-off plate, remote oil filter & t-stat ** MW IP w/ tomnik's 6.5mm 'Holly' elements **

S124 Mods: 400E Rear subframe ** SL600 Brakes ** Late 300E 210mm diff ** SLK230 6 speed ** 17" CLK rims ** Vented RF Fender ** Facelift Hood, Headlights, and Lower Cladding **

OBK# 62

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average