STD Tuning Engine om603.971 oil issues and turbo problems

om603.971 oil issues and turbo problems

om603.971 oil issues and turbo problems

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ontum
Naturally-aspirated

05-17-2012, 07:14 PM #1
Hello all - First post here.

I acquired a 603 out of a 1992 300sd that was going through lots of oil.

I put an 617a into my 79' G wagen last year but want more low end torque when off road. So I am planning on fixing this 603 up and putting it in. I would love a 606, but those are hard to find at a decent price.

I am aware of the rod bending issues, but I got the engine almost free. I was able to drive the engine before I pulled it and it left large balls of smoke behind the car under heavy throttle from where I first floored it and took off. My first thought was that it had a bent rod, bad head gasket, or leaking valve guide seal. I took off the head to check it out and found the cylinders still round with their honing marks. All the cylinders reach the peak of their travel leading me to believe the rods are still straight. I thought it might have a valve guide problem, so I sent the head to the machine shop, but they found nothing wrong with them.

The cylinders are not washed out like the turbo is leaking oil into the intake, but the exhaust manifold is wet with oil on the back three cylinders.

Any Ideas where the oil is going. I plan to put the engine back together and run it without the turbo on a pallet to see if it smokes or not.

I'm a bit puzzled where the oil going. I took apart the turbo to see how it looked and unfortunately the intake side spindle has been rubbing on turbo the turbo housing. I'm not sure it I can just replace the seals and bushing or if I need a rebuilt unit or what?

[Image: 7218458978_f071d3dc8a_z.jpg]

[Image: 7218459910_5cb5671906_z.jpg]

Any suggestions on which way I should go with the turbo. Should I just grab a used one? Should I look into one of those hx40s or something?

I know these engines can be trouble, so I'd like to do modifications that can be transferred over to a 3.0 liter if I need to later.

Thanks,
Craig
This post was last modified: 05-17-2012, 07:14 PM by ontum.
ontum
05-17-2012, 07:14 PM #1

Hello all - First post here.

I acquired a 603 out of a 1992 300sd that was going through lots of oil.

I put an 617a into my 79' G wagen last year but want more low end torque when off road. So I am planning on fixing this 603 up and putting it in. I would love a 606, but those are hard to find at a decent price.

I am aware of the rod bending issues, but I got the engine almost free. I was able to drive the engine before I pulled it and it left large balls of smoke behind the car under heavy throttle from where I first floored it and took off. My first thought was that it had a bent rod, bad head gasket, or leaking valve guide seal. I took off the head to check it out and found the cylinders still round with their honing marks. All the cylinders reach the peak of their travel leading me to believe the rods are still straight. I thought it might have a valve guide problem, so I sent the head to the machine shop, but they found nothing wrong with them.

The cylinders are not washed out like the turbo is leaking oil into the intake, but the exhaust manifold is wet with oil on the back three cylinders.

Any Ideas where the oil is going. I plan to put the engine back together and run it without the turbo on a pallet to see if it smokes or not.

I'm a bit puzzled where the oil going. I took apart the turbo to see how it looked and unfortunately the intake side spindle has been rubbing on turbo the turbo housing. I'm not sure it I can just replace the seals and bushing or if I need a rebuilt unit or what?

[Image: 7218458978_f071d3dc8a_z.jpg]

[Image: 7218459910_5cb5671906_z.jpg]

Any suggestions on which way I should go with the turbo. Should I just grab a used one? Should I look into one of those hx40s or something?

I know these engines can be trouble, so I'd like to do modifications that can be transferred over to a 3.0 liter if I need to later.

Thanks,
Craig

winmutt
bitbanger

05-17-2012, 07:31 PM #2
HX30 is pretty much a drop in replacement with some work on the downpipe. You need the proper fitting on the turbo oil inlet, for the outlet I used the stock one from the kkk/garett that came with the car and cut the metal drain pipe in half with some rubber hose in the middle. Works just fine. I tried an ebay drain and it leaked all over.

Report back on a compression on all 6 and leak down tests on last 3.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
05-17-2012, 07:31 PM #2

HX30 is pretty much a drop in replacement with some work on the downpipe. You need the proper fitting on the turbo oil inlet, for the outlet I used the stock one from the kkk/garett that came with the car and cut the metal drain pipe in half with some rubber hose in the middle. Works just fine. I tried an ebay drain and it leaked all over.

Report back on a compression on all 6 and leak down tests on last 3.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

ontum
Naturally-aspirated

05-18-2012, 08:14 PM #3
Can I simply replace the bushings and seals on my current turbo, or does it look like it is toast? Is the hx30 the best one for my application? As much as I would like to install bigger elements I don't think I will reach the decision to spend all the money to do so.

I was hoping to do a compression test before I removed the engine but ran out of time. Before I put the engine back together and install all the parts, I am hoping to figure out the turbo. Anyone have any other ideas or experiences of finding where the oil is going? Is it even worth it on this 603.971 because of its well know issues? It has 160,000 miles on the clock and the cylinder walls look really good.

-
Craig
ontum
05-18-2012, 08:14 PM #3

Can I simply replace the bushings and seals on my current turbo, or does it look like it is toast? Is the hx30 the best one for my application? As much as I would like to install bigger elements I don't think I will reach the decision to spend all the money to do so.

I was hoping to do a compression test before I removed the engine but ran out of time. Before I put the engine back together and install all the parts, I am hoping to figure out the turbo. Anyone have any other ideas or experiences of finding where the oil is going? Is it even worth it on this 603.971 because of its well know issues? It has 160,000 miles on the clock and the cylinder walls look really good.

-
Craig

ontum
Naturally-aspirated

05-20-2012, 11:35 PM #4
I may have the opportunity to get a free turbo off a 1986 but the catch is that I would also need to swap the exhaust manifold.

Should I go for that?

The 86' turbo doesn't have any play and appears to be in good condition.

-
Craig
ontum
05-20-2012, 11:35 PM #4

I may have the opportunity to get a free turbo off a 1986 but the catch is that I would also need to swap the exhaust manifold.

Should I go for that?

The 86' turbo doesn't have any play and appears to be in good condition.

-
Craig

aaa
GT2256V

05-21-2012, 03:00 PM #5
You can't clock the 86 turbo to fit the 92 manifold? It's also a different trim turbo (with different efficiency range).

On the plus side I'm sure someone on here would want to buy your 92 manifold, if you remove it.
aaa
05-21-2012, 03:00 PM #5

You can't clock the 86 turbo to fit the 92 manifold? It's also a different trim turbo (with different efficiency range).

On the plus side I'm sure someone on here would want to buy your 92 manifold, if you remove it.

ontum
Naturally-aspirated

05-25-2012, 11:18 AM #6
I'd like to get a little more power out of this motor without going all out on huge elements and spending all my money.

Is there anything I can do to get 25-50 more horsepower out of this 603.971 without breaking the bank. It looks like I will be trying to find a used turbo, is if I need a different turbo down the road for more power I'd like to bite the bullet and do that now.

Thanks for your advice and help,
Craig
ontum
05-25-2012, 11:18 AM #6

I'd like to get a little more power out of this motor without going all out on huge elements and spending all my money.

Is there anything I can do to get 25-50 more horsepower out of this 603.971 without breaking the bank. It looks like I will be trying to find a used turbo, is if I need a different turbo down the road for more power I'd like to bite the bullet and do that now.

Thanks for your advice and help,
Craig

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average