STD Tuning Engine disassembled 617

disassembled 617

disassembled 617

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Uponaplane
Naturally-aspirated

05-17-2012, 04:05 PM #1
How's it goin everyone? I got my self a disassembled 617 turbo fo free and I'm wondering where to start with it. I'm a noob with only internet training and owning a 300d and 240d over the past couple years so this is really just messing around and learning but I'd be pretty happy if I could put this thing back together and have it run well. It did run before it was taken out of the rusted out 82 sd it was in, but now everything is removed including the ip and oil filter housing. The timing chain is still on there.

What needs to be done to do a compression test?
Reinstall the oil filter housing, loop the oil cooler lines, reinstall the ip (just bolt it up there to keep oil from spilling out?) install starter, adjust valves and fill with oil...? can I do a compression test at that point? Should I fill the block with water and loop that?
Like I said, I don't know what I'm doing so thanks for all the help you guys provide.
Uponaplane
05-17-2012, 04:05 PM #1

How's it goin everyone? I got my self a disassembled 617 turbo fo free and I'm wondering where to start with it. I'm a noob with only internet training and owning a 300d and 240d over the past couple years so this is really just messing around and learning but I'd be pretty happy if I could put this thing back together and have it run well. It did run before it was taken out of the rusted out 82 sd it was in, but now everything is removed including the ip and oil filter housing. The timing chain is still on there.

What needs to be done to do a compression test?
Reinstall the oil filter housing, loop the oil cooler lines, reinstall the ip (just bolt it up there to keep oil from spilling out?) install starter, adjust valves and fill with oil...? can I do a compression test at that point? Should I fill the block with water and loop that?
Like I said, I don't know what I'm doing so thanks for all the help you guys provide.

aaa
GT2256V

05-17-2012, 04:18 PM #2
IP and oil filter housing. Not much oil will come out of the cooler lines, I think a small container will catch it. I imagine the ip is needed to keep the timing gear and chain in place.
aaa
05-17-2012, 04:18 PM #2

IP and oil filter housing. Not much oil will come out of the cooler lines, I think a small container will catch it. I imagine the ip is needed to keep the timing gear and chain in place.

Uponaplane
Naturally-aspirated

05-18-2012, 12:30 AM #3
thanks. got those mounted, oiled it up with a little in each cylinder too and it turned over nicely by hand.

http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/OM617TimingChainStretch
If I'm doing that second method right then it looks like the chain is only stretched the expected 2-3 degrees.

Tomorrow I'll adjust the valves and do the compression test.
Uponaplane
05-18-2012, 12:30 AM #3

thanks. got those mounted, oiled it up with a little in each cylinder too and it turned over nicely by hand.

http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/OM617TimingChainStretch
If I'm doing that second method right then it looks like the chain is only stretched the expected 2-3 degrees.

Tomorrow I'll adjust the valves and do the compression test.

Uponaplane
Naturally-aspirated

05-20-2012, 03:06 PM #4
Ok what am I doing wrong here? other than turning the engine over on a undersized stand. The starter spins the engine once and gets stuck. Battery is fully charged so I assume its my wiring to the starter? Where and how should I ground it?
Glow plugs are out of each cylinder. The starter spins fine on the floor and tested good at autozone.

Turn your volume down, my car is running in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DfkUm1...PWu6NGlPRQ
This post was last modified: 05-20-2012, 03:12 PM by Uponaplane.
Uponaplane
05-20-2012, 03:06 PM #4

Ok what am I doing wrong here? other than turning the engine over on a undersized stand. The starter spins the engine once and gets stuck. Battery is fully charged so I assume its my wiring to the starter? Where and how should I ground it?
Glow plugs are out of each cylinder. The starter spins fine on the floor and tested good at autozone.

Turn your volume down, my car is running in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DfkUm1...PWu6NGlPRQ

Kozuka
I'm_Badass

05-20-2012, 03:41 PM #5
How does it turn over by hand should be smooth with no glow plugs? I would run a wire from one of the mounting bolts from the stand that goes in the bell-housing down to the battery ground. Are you using heavy duty 0/1 gauge wire?

1983 300TD : 4 Speed : SLS Delete : More. Daily Deathcab
1987 190E/16v/OM603 : 5 Speed : SLS Delete : Lots More..W201 Project
Kozuka
05-20-2012, 03:41 PM #5

How does it turn over by hand should be smooth with no glow plugs? I would run a wire from one of the mounting bolts from the stand that goes in the bell-housing down to the battery ground. Are you using heavy duty 0/1 gauge wire?

1983 300TD : 4 Speed : SLS Delete : More. Daily Deathcab
1987 190E/16v/OM603 : 5 Speed : SLS Delete : Lots More..W201 Project

aaa
GT2256V

05-20-2012, 07:32 PM #6
You probably don't have a good connection from the battery to the starter. Sounds like the starter isn't getting enough juice. Assuming you can turn it by hand.
aaa
05-20-2012, 07:32 PM #6

You probably don't have a good connection from the battery to the starter. Sounds like the starter isn't getting enough juice. Assuming you can turn it by hand.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average