STD Other Projects 300D STT Turbo kit installation

300D STT Turbo kit installation

300D STT Turbo kit installation

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RonB
TA 0301

05-16-2012, 06:44 AM #1
We never got OM 617 turbo's here in Australia of any description in July 2012our goverment will be imposing a carbon tax.
The basic idea of carbon taxes asre to make all comodities expensive. Once they are expensive ,people will stop buying them and thus save the planet.
my main passion is for M100 powered mercedes (0-60 6.4 seconds 1969)
but the tax is going to push fuel beyond anything i can afford so i have decided Diesel is going to supply my daily needs. A NA 617 aint' fast enough so i thought...import a engine from the US..no joy there,most offered on ebay etc are really dodgy and why pay for a engine that will need rebuilding?
So ,a few months ago a customer tells me he has a W123 turbo sitting in a garage storage yard.
i had a quick look and found a car that has been sitting for years and rats have shit all over it...even around the engine.
look at the last pics ' as found.'
It has a STT turbo kit which looks as though it's been fitted forever.
And with a bit of discussion with the garage owner i got it for amont of money owning .$200.
I dont need a wagon and i dont need a automatic .My daily is 100,000 mile 1985 ex japan 300D with high suspension (option #482) dark green glass #593 .and other options and four speed manual trans.
The plan is to pull the kit from the wagon,tidy the wagon up and sell it as going concern and fit the goodies to the sedan.
so first job is to pull all the turbo stuff off the wagons engine. I pulled the upper manifold peice off and found the rubber connection hose wasn't even connected!!, the turbo was working but wasn't supplying boost.note how the rubber piece was sqaushedover to one side. The cable ties holding the top down weren't a good look either.

The exhaust manifold is made by STT . The oil feed line was fitted with a pressure accumulator so when the engine was shut down,the turbo would still be receiving oil.

The exhaust pipe is damned big and part of the original kit as are the mufflers etc etc.
It squeezes between the steering box (RHD) and the starter which has been fitted with a stainless steel heat sheild.

The oil return line feeds into a pipe welded into the lower sump but the pipe wasn't even screwed tight and besides being really maggoty,it pissed oil everywhere under the car.

RonB
05-16-2012, 06:44 AM #1

We never got OM 617 turbo's here in Australia of any description in July 2012our goverment will be imposing a carbon tax.
The basic idea of carbon taxes asre to make all comodities expensive. Once they are expensive ,people will stop buying them and thus save the planet.
my main passion is for M100 powered mercedes (0-60 6.4 seconds 1969)
but the tax is going to push fuel beyond anything i can afford so i have decided Diesel is going to supply my daily needs. A NA 617 aint' fast enough so i thought...import a engine from the US..no joy there,most offered on ebay etc are really dodgy and why pay for a engine that will need rebuilding?
So ,a few months ago a customer tells me he has a W123 turbo sitting in a garage storage yard.
i had a quick look and found a car that has been sitting for years and rats have shit all over it...even around the engine.
look at the last pics ' as found.'
It has a STT turbo kit which looks as though it's been fitted forever.
And with a bit of discussion with the garage owner i got it for amont of money owning .$200.
I dont need a wagon and i dont need a automatic .My daily is 100,000 mile 1985 ex japan 300D with high suspension (option #482) dark green glass #593 .and other options and four speed manual trans.
The plan is to pull the kit from the wagon,tidy the wagon up and sell it as going concern and fit the goodies to the sedan.
so first job is to pull all the turbo stuff off the wagons engine. I pulled the upper manifold peice off and found the rubber connection hose wasn't even connected!!, the turbo was working but wasn't supplying boost.note how the rubber piece was sqaushedover to one side. The cable ties holding the top down weren't a good look either.

The exhaust manifold is made by STT . The oil feed line was fitted with a pressure accumulator so when the engine was shut down,the turbo would still be receiving oil.

The exhaust pipe is damned big and part of the original kit as are the mufflers etc etc.
It squeezes between the steering box (RHD) and the starter which has been fitted with a stainless steel heat sheild.

The oil return line feeds into a pipe welded into the lower sump but the pipe wasn't even screwed tight and besides being really maggoty,it pissed oil everywhere under the car.

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

05-16-2012, 10:18 AM #2
That's a cool set up! What it the high suspension setup?

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
05-16-2012, 10:18 AM #2

That's a cool set up! What it the high suspension setup?

RonB
TA 0301

05-16-2012, 05:53 PM #3
(05-16-2012, 10:18 AM)willbhere4u That's a cool set up! What it the high suspension setup?
According to the EPC it's a set of higher springs to give more ground clearance. I think the car was ordered by someone living in the mountain area of japan where it snows in Winter and extra clearance would make it easier to drive through snow. The car certainly rides a bit firmer than most other W123's .

RonB
05-16-2012, 05:53 PM #3

(05-16-2012, 10:18 AM)willbhere4u That's a cool set up! What it the high suspension setup?
According to the EPC it's a set of higher springs to give more ground clearance. I think the car was ordered by someone living in the mountain area of japan where it snows in Winter and extra clearance would make it easier to drive through snow. The car certainly rides a bit firmer than most other W123's .

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

05-16-2012, 06:59 PM #4
Nice looking car

willbhere4u
05-16-2012, 06:59 PM #4

Nice looking car

RonB
TA 0301

05-23-2012, 07:09 AM #5

exhaust manifold after a clean up...

Onemore interesting thing I found about the car, it has the high ride springs, heavy battery option ,dark green glass and air con. an unusual list of extras, so I looked closer at the EPC where i accessed it's data card and found it was built in Bremen and was delivered new to ....Cyprus. that would explain the extra clearance for their crap roads and heavy battery for reliability ,dark glass and air con for the hot climate. And, there is no rust anywhere on the car.
This post was last modified: 05-23-2012, 07:13 AM by RonB.
RonB
05-23-2012, 07:09 AM #5

exhaust manifold after a clean up...

Onemore interesting thing I found about the car, it has the high ride springs, heavy battery option ,dark green glass and air con. an unusual list of extras, so I looked closer at the EPC where i accessed it's data card and found it was built in Bremen and was delivered new to ....Cyprus. that would explain the extra clearance for their crap roads and heavy battery for reliability ,dark glass and air con for the hot climate. And, there is no rust anywhere on the car.

RonB
TA 0301

06-04-2012, 05:24 AM #6
Did a bit more on the car today.
Fitted the STT sump,which has a drain welded to the side.
Bolted the manifolds in and turbo.
i had to modify the water feed for the heater so i used a pipe from a M189 (300SE W112) which worked perfectly to run over the intake rather than under it.

The blue thing is a oil pressure accumulator which holds oil pressure while the engine is running and bleeds down after the engine is shut off,thus prolonging turbo life.

I have fitted some new mounts and hoses to connect the top end. and fitted the turbo bonnet .

Tomorrow I'll fit the exhaust and modified oil filter housing and see if it works.
RonB
06-04-2012, 05:24 AM #6

Did a bit more on the car today.
i had to modify the water feed for the heater so i used a pipe from a M189 (300SE W112) which worked perfectly to run over the intake rather than under it.

The blue thing is a oil pressure accumulator which holds oil pressure while the engine is running and bleeds down after the engine is shut off,thus prolonging turbo life.

I have fitted some new mounts and hoses to connect the top end. and fitted the turbo bonnet .

Tomorrow I'll fit the exhaust and modified oil filter housing and see if it works.

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

06-04-2012, 11:45 AM #7
(06-04-2012, 05:24 AM)RonB Did a bit more on the car today.

Excellent work!
Purplecomputer
06-04-2012, 11:45 AM #7

(06-04-2012, 05:24 AM)RonB Did a bit more on the car today.

Excellent work!

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

06-04-2012, 12:42 PM #8
Be sure to hook up a boost gauge. I'm curious as to what these STT kits are set up at.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
06-04-2012, 12:42 PM #8

Be sure to hook up a boost gauge. I'm curious as to what these STT kits are set up at.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

RonB
TA 0301

07-01-2012, 05:56 AM #9
    Well I've done a few hundred miles since installation and today i finally got to give it a real world test. I had to drive out to the bush and retrieve an engine from a Friends place. It was a 200 mile round trip up winding mountain roads and long straights with light traffic. Added to this I had a heavy single axle trailer on the back loaded with an engine crane,heavy jack and tools.
I had to drive up a grassy lawn which is soaked after several weeks of rain so it a low gear crawl with the trailer on the back for about 100 yards up to where the engine was.
On the way back,the grades up the mountains is steeper but even with a Merc M108 six and trans plus the gear in the trailer (3/4 ton possibly) ,the car performed fualtlessy and in places I was down to third with the boost gauge at 7Psi . Engine temp stayed around normal At 80C.

Before i set off, The tank was filled and at 200 miles exactly i had used less than 1/2 a tank.
At 5PSi boost in top the car is pulling well at 60MPH and in fact was picking up speed along the straights.
What surprses me so far is the toal lack of smoke even under acleration but I intend to get a spare pump recalibrated according to STTspecs plus get the injector pressures adjusted. I'll see how well it goes after that. In the main i am more than happy with it . I will search aroubnd now for an intercooler i can fit into the side near the right front headlight.
RonB
07-01-2012, 05:56 AM #9

Well I've done a few hundred miles since installation and today i finally got to give it a real world test. I had to drive out to the bush and retrieve an engine from a Friends place. It was a 200 mile round trip up winding mountain roads and long straights with light traffic. Added to this I had a heavy single axle trailer on the back loaded with an engine crane,heavy jack and tools.
I had to drive up a grassy lawn which is soaked after several weeks of rain so it a low gear crawl with the trailer on the back for about 100 yards up to where the engine was.
On the way back,the grades up the mountains is steeper but even with a Merc M108 six and trans plus the gear in the trailer (3/4 ton possibly) ,the car performed fualtlessy and in places I was down to third with the boost gauge at 7Psi . Engine temp stayed around normal At 80C.

Before i set off, The tank was filled and at 200 miles exactly i had used less than 1/2 a tank.
At 5PSi boost in top the car is pulling well at 60MPH and in fact was picking up speed along the straights.
What surprses me so far is the toal lack of smoke even under acleration but I intend to get a spare pump recalibrated according to STTspecs plus get the injector pressures adjusted. I'll see how well it goes after that. In the main i am more than happy with it . I will search aroubnd now for an intercooler i can fit into the side near the right front headlight.

RonB
TA 0301

09-20-2012, 04:25 AM #10
Well, a bit of an update!, The car is runnin great and the fuel consumption is greatly improved over a non turbo 300D. It's actually running better the more miles I have added (around 3000). Next big job is to overrhaul all the suspension which is all original and suffering from the years it sat unused.
At 70 Mph i can put my foot to the floor and the boost rns to 7" and it acelerates smoothly to 100MPH very easily.Even with four on board.
next project will be to modify the injection pump to the STT specs . A mate has a diesel shop and owes me some favours .
This is his Old merc, not a diesel but he can be forgiven for that. Hes run 8.0 sec 1/4's now with his new engine ,427 LS7. he is also considering dieseling a W108 with a 603 with a couple of turbo's.
Guy halls merc
RonB
09-20-2012, 04:25 AM #10

Well, a bit of an update!, The car is runnin great and the fuel consumption is greatly improved over a non turbo 300D. It's actually running better the more miles I have added (around 3000). Next big job is to overrhaul all the suspension which is all original and suffering from the years it sat unused.
At 70 Mph i can put my foot to the floor and the boost rns to 7" and it acelerates smoothly to 100MPH very easily.Even with four on board.
next project will be to modify the injection pump to the STT specs . A mate has a diesel shop and owes me some favours .
This is his Old merc, not a diesel but he can be forgiven for that. Hes run 8.0 sec 1/4's now with his new engine ,427 LS7. he is also considering dieseling a W108 with a 603 with a couple of turbo's.
Guy halls merc

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

09-20-2012, 10:52 PM #11
Pretty sweet, you're really gonna love it once you get the pump set at turbo specs

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
09-20-2012, 10:52 PM #11

Pretty sweet, you're really gonna love it once you get the pump set at turbo specs

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average