STD Tuning Engine "Mothballing" an engine

"Mothballing" an engine

"Mothballing" an engine

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

05-10-2012, 11:36 AM #1
I'm going to be crating my 617 for a couple months.

The plan is to bolt the motor mounts to blocks on a pallet and have blocks under the upper/ lower oil pans. I'll be spraying the whole thing down with WD40 before it gets wrapped in cling wrap and stuck in a bar.

Am I missing anything?

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
05-10-2012, 11:36 AM #1

I'm going to be crating my 617 for a couple months.

The plan is to bolt the motor mounts to blocks on a pallet and have blocks under the upper/ lower oil pans. I'll be spraying the whole thing down with WD40 before it gets wrapped in cling wrap and stuck in a bar.

Am I missing anything?

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

05-10-2012, 12:36 PM #2
Few months of non-starting is nothing for a 617 as is, especially in the Summer time.

But if you wanted, then dump motor oil in the cylinders through the injector holes and hand crank it a bit. But be sure before starting to blow out all that oil by cranking it for a bit with the starter.

Pretty much it looks like you are good to go right now.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
05-10-2012, 12:36 PM #2

Few months of non-starting is nothing for a 617 as is, especially in the Summer time.

But if you wanted, then dump motor oil in the cylinders through the injector holes and hand crank it a bit. But be sure before starting to blow out all that oil by cranking it for a bit with the starter.

Pretty much it looks like you are good to go right now.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

05-10-2012, 12:45 PM #3
Cool just wanted to double check. It's taking up valuable space in the "shop" (aka shed) and it's going to be a while before I can afford a Wrangler.

Simpler=Better
05-10-2012, 12:45 PM #3

Cool just wanted to double check. It's taking up valuable space in the "shop" (aka shed) and it's going to be a while before I can afford a Wrangler.

Alastair E
Moderator?--Nah...

05-11-2012, 03:53 PM #4
Worth sticking some large rubber-bungs or similar in the inlet and exhaust openings too, or any other open pipes/ports.....

We dont want condensation to get in there while wrapped up in plastic!

--Last run before lay-up on fresh oil in sump too.....

I would be tempted to use something like Waxoyl on the external surfaces if you suspect it may in any way get damp. A light coat is all it should need....
WD40 seems to dry off after a week or two I found....

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]
Alastair E
05-11-2012, 03:53 PM #4

Worth sticking some large rubber-bungs or similar in the inlet and exhaust openings too, or any other open pipes/ports.....

We dont want condensation to get in there while wrapped up in plastic!

--Last run before lay-up on fresh oil in sump too.....

I would be tempted to use something like Waxoyl on the external surfaces if you suspect it may in any way get damp. A light coat is all it should need....
WD40 seems to dry off after a week or two I found....

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

06-12-2012, 08:22 AM #5
Thanks for the advice, I'll get some Waxoyl stuff. It's so humid here that my flywheel rusted after a week (indoors)...my motorcycle was growing mold...etc...

Has fresh Delvac&MMO in it, I only ran the motor 30 minutes total since the oil change.

Simpler=Better
06-12-2012, 08:22 AM #5

Thanks for the advice, I'll get some Waxoyl stuff. It's so humid here that my flywheel rusted after a week (indoors)...my motorcycle was growing mold...etc...

Has fresh Delvac&MMO in it, I only ran the motor 30 minutes total since the oil change.

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

06-17-2012, 01:59 PM #6
One word, Cosmoline

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
06-17-2012, 01:59 PM #6

One word, Cosmoline

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average