STD Tuning Engine Questions

Questions

Questions

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

83300d
GTA2056V

05-04-2012, 10:58 PM #1
Hello everyone. Been reading up on all your builds and info, and figured it was time to start asking some of the questions that are nagging at me already.

Let me start by saying that I am a performance enthusiast and this is my first time with a MB. I was in the middle of what was supposed to be a quick build on my 76 Jeep Cherokee Chief - throwing a 1st gen 5.9 Cummins under the hood - and found that I really needed a vehicle to drive while I try to sneak build time in between family time.

Having read alot about the 617 being a very simple and reliable engine that could run on alt fuels I decided that I would source one out to drive while I finish my Jeep, and could then tear the engine out for another Jeep project later.

Found not one but 2 300d's sitting in a backyard which had not run for over 7 years. Talked to the owner and after hashing it out bought em both. Threw a battery in the one that had the best body and it fired up almost immediately, and drove it home.

Make a long story short - kind of dig the 300d. Especially after doing more research on the car and what you can do with them. So after checking out benzworld forum someone talked about your site and here I am asking performance questions.

Im not a purist, I want to build the one car to drive daily and have some fun with and dont mind adding things that arent meant to be there or taking out stuff that only complicates things. I like the 5.9 because it is so simple, and want to take my 300d to the same place.

Got lots of questions about trans swaps, turbo and suspension upgrades and what I can do to squeeze more power out of the little 5cyl. What would be the first things I could do with the stuff that is already on it that could possibly not be there?

Hear lots about ALDA deletes, and would love to get rid of some of the vaccum lines but I will let you guide me.

Look forward to hearing from you, and thanks for taking the time to read this. If this should be somewhere else please move it or let me know and I will rewrite it.

Oh ya I have found a 1970 200 with a manual transmission that can be picked up for a good price so from what I was reading I could swap this transmission so please give me any advice about this swap as well.

This post was last modified: 05-04-2012, 10:59 PM by 83300d.
83300d
05-04-2012, 10:58 PM #1

Hello everyone. Been reading up on all your builds and info, and figured it was time to start asking some of the questions that are nagging at me already.

Let me start by saying that I am a performance enthusiast and this is my first time with a MB. I was in the middle of what was supposed to be a quick build on my 76 Jeep Cherokee Chief - throwing a 1st gen 5.9 Cummins under the hood - and found that I really needed a vehicle to drive while I try to sneak build time in between family time.

Having read alot about the 617 being a very simple and reliable engine that could run on alt fuels I decided that I would source one out to drive while I finish my Jeep, and could then tear the engine out for another Jeep project later.

Found not one but 2 300d's sitting in a backyard which had not run for over 7 years. Talked to the owner and after hashing it out bought em both. Threw a battery in the one that had the best body and it fired up almost immediately, and drove it home.

Make a long story short - kind of dig the 300d. Especially after doing more research on the car and what you can do with them. So after checking out benzworld forum someone talked about your site and here I am asking performance questions.

Im not a purist, I want to build the one car to drive daily and have some fun with and dont mind adding things that arent meant to be there or taking out stuff that only complicates things. I like the 5.9 because it is so simple, and want to take my 300d to the same place.

Got lots of questions about trans swaps, turbo and suspension upgrades and what I can do to squeeze more power out of the little 5cyl. What would be the first things I could do with the stuff that is already on it that could possibly not be there?

Hear lots about ALDA deletes, and would love to get rid of some of the vaccum lines but I will let you guide me.

Look forward to hearing from you, and thanks for taking the time to read this. If this should be somewhere else please move it or let me know and I will rewrite it.

Oh ya I have found a 1970 200 with a manual transmission that can be picked up for a good price so from what I was reading I could swap this transmission so please give me any advice about this swap as well.

larsalan
Superturbo

05-05-2012, 02:14 AM #2
ALDA delete with a 1- 1/8 wrench or whatever metric that is, I think.
ALDA is that square thing on the IP, dig it? Unscrew that line from the intake mani and send it to your boost gauge. Then, wrench goes under it and use another tool stuck in that socket where that vac line was to turn that ALDA off.
Other people say use big channel locks to grab it but, I've never been able to get a good grip and leverage that way. Just stuck the biggest piece of steel that would fit in there and got a pipe or 2x4 to help turn it.
ymmv but I've found them pretty stuck in place after 30 yrs.

Trans part numbers are stamped on the side (driverside?) just above the pan under years or soot, grease, and dirt.
You'll have to wait for others to weigh in on that swap but, I would think it sounds promising.
This post was last modified: 05-05-2012, 02:19 AM by larsalan.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
05-05-2012, 02:14 AM #2

ALDA delete with a 1- 1/8 wrench or whatever metric that is, I think.
ALDA is that square thing on the IP, dig it? Unscrew that line from the intake mani and send it to your boost gauge. Then, wrench goes under it and use another tool stuck in that socket where that vac line was to turn that ALDA off.
Other people say use big channel locks to grab it but, I've never been able to get a good grip and leverage that way. Just stuck the biggest piece of steel that would fit in there and got a pipe or 2x4 to help turn it.
ymmv but I've found them pretty stuck in place after 30 yrs.

Trans part numbers are stamped on the side (driverside?) just above the pan under years or soot, grease, and dirt.
You'll have to wait for others to weigh in on that swap but, I would think it sounds promising.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'

83300d
GTA2056V

05-05-2012, 11:07 AM #3
Off topic but what is the warning level % under my info about?
83300d
05-05-2012, 11:07 AM #3

Off topic but what is the warning level % under my info about?

aaa
GT2256V

05-05-2012, 01:14 PM #4
It's how many warnings you get before getting banned or whatever.

For the manual trans, it'll work, but the other manual parts will have to be w123 (pedals etc).
aaa
05-05-2012, 01:14 PM #4

It's how many warnings you get before getting banned or whatever.

For the manual trans, it'll work, but the other manual parts will have to be w123 (pedals etc).

83300d
GTA2056V

05-05-2012, 07:44 PM #5
Thanks AAA. Would have been nice and easy to use the pedals from the 200. Difficult to find pedal assemblies?
83300d
05-05-2012, 07:44 PM #5

Thanks AAA. Would have been nice and easy to use the pedals from the 200. Difficult to find pedal assemblies?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average