STD Tuning Drivetrain 190E trans won't shift to 4th

190E trans won't shift to 4th

190E trans won't shift to 4th

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SicNick
Naturally-aspirated

04-11-2012, 09:06 PM #1
Good evening STDers! I recently replaced my 190d trans with a unit from a 190e. I re-used my diesel torque converter as the gas torque converters I've found will not fit inside the raised lip on the OM601 flywheel...

Anyways since installing this trans, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd all shift cleanly and at the appropriate point. Fluid level is good, bowden cable seems to be adjusted correctly but it will never shift to 4th on it's own. I also do not have a full throttle switch in my application, at all so no power going to that terminal.

HOWEVER if when revving hard in third waiting for it to shift, I manually shift to neutral, then back into drive, it will click into 4th gear and stay there until I slow down(or trans downshifts). I feel like this is a good clue that the trans is capable of working properly, what say you? Thanks in advance for any insight, I did search and most people online couldn't get to 4th at all!

1984 Mercedes 190D, A$$ Packed then totaled by ins. company.
However I was able to utilize it's heart to give life to...

1987 Suzuki Samurai, Powered by MB OM601 and 4 speed auto.
Converted by myself with homemade engine mounts and a custom intermediate shaft. Turbo charged with Mitsubishi Mighty Max Turbo and custom Intake plenum, exhaust manifold and top mount inter cooler.
SicNick
04-11-2012, 09:06 PM #1

Good evening STDers! I recently replaced my 190d trans with a unit from a 190e. I re-used my diesel torque converter as the gas torque converters I've found will not fit inside the raised lip on the OM601 flywheel...

Anyways since installing this trans, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd all shift cleanly and at the appropriate point. Fluid level is good, bowden cable seems to be adjusted correctly but it will never shift to 4th on it's own. I also do not have a full throttle switch in my application, at all so no power going to that terminal.

HOWEVER if when revving hard in third waiting for it to shift, I manually shift to neutral, then back into drive, it will click into 4th gear and stay there until I slow down(or trans downshifts). I feel like this is a good clue that the trans is capable of working properly, what say you? Thanks in advance for any insight, I did search and most people online couldn't get to 4th at all!

Converted by myself with homemade engine mounts and a custom intermediate shaft. Turbo charged with Mitsubishi Mighty Max Turbo and custom Intake plenum, exhaust manifold and top mount inter cooler.

SicNick
Naturally-aspirated

04-23-2012, 12:50 PM #2
See below for the fix, and some sweet photos and videos of what a Mercedes drivetain can do...

Made a solo run to CORE (Deer Trail, CO) on Saturday since any trail worth running up here close to FTC is closed and I needed to get at least one pre Moab run in. We had a great time, I think the main reason was my samurai was capable of probably 90% of the obstacles out there. That being said, a few obviously required some more effort than others but we had a fun time, pre-ran the desert course for a bit, crawled some logs, stumps, boulders, and concrete pipes...

[Image: IMG_0732.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0724.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0726.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0730.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0735.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0734.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0733.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0740.jpg]

Now watch the first minute of this vid
[Image: th_MVI_0741.jpg]

then this one
[Image: th_MVI_0743.jpg]

At one point during this concrete pipe climb the trans was getting really hot and I could smell the Seaform trans cleaner that is in there... Once I got over the obstacle and back on the fire road the trans shifted into FOURTH! on it's own! It continued to work properly the rest of the day! It is fixed now as far as I can tell! I don't know if it was the temperature, the angle, or what but I absolutely LOVE when wheeling your rig fixes sh@t!

[Image: th_MVI_0725.jpg]

Loose, steep hill climb, I could barely even walk up this without use of my hands!

[Image: th_MVI_0749.jpg]

SicNick
04-23-2012, 12:50 PM #2

See below for the fix, and some sweet photos and videos of what a Mercedes drivetain can do...

Made a solo run to CORE (Deer Trail, CO) on Saturday since any trail worth running up here close to FTC is closed and I needed to get at least one pre Moab run in. We had a great time, I think the main reason was my samurai was capable of probably 90% of the obstacles out there. That being said, a few obviously required some more effort than others but we had a fun time, pre-ran the desert course for a bit, crawled some logs, stumps, boulders, and concrete pipes...

[Image: IMG_0732.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0724.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0726.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0730.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0735.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0734.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0733.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0740.jpg]

Now watch the first minute of this vid
[Image: th_MVI_0741.jpg]

then this one
[Image: th_MVI_0743.jpg]

At one point during this concrete pipe climb the trans was getting really hot and I could smell the Seaform trans cleaner that is in there... Once I got over the obstacle and back on the fire road the trans shifted into FOURTH! on it's own! It continued to work properly the rest of the day! It is fixed now as far as I can tell! I don't know if it was the temperature, the angle, or what but I absolutely LOVE when wheeling your rig fixes sh@t!

[Image: th_MVI_0725.jpg]

Loose, steep hill climb, I could barely even walk up this without use of my hands!

[Image: th_MVI_0749.jpg]

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

04-23-2012, 02:33 PM #3
sweet!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
04-23-2012, 02:33 PM #3

sweet!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average