STD Tuning Engine OM617 piston pin sizes & genenral questions

OM617 piston pin sizes & genenral questions

OM617 piston pin sizes & genenral questions

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

04-04-2012, 04:31 AM #1
Hi!

I have a OM617.910 with the bigger 91mm bore. It's the 80HP engine.

I'm looking into fitting oversize-pistons from a 88HP engine into it. But I wonder if the piston pins have the same size? Mine seems to be a very early engine (n° 617.910-10-001357)...

And would the head of a later engine with the smal glow plugs fit the block? I need to change the head as I need a SLS pump (for a wagon) and don't feel like messing about with duo-pumps & custom brackets. Plus I want to give it the 88HP treatment.

I know, why not find a 88HP engine... Well; two reasons: I have this engine, 88HP engines fetch high money and the .910 block has one big advantage: there would be room for a starter to bolt on any later transmission:

[Image: diesel.jpg]

Thanks!

Jan
DiseaselWeasel
04-04-2012, 04:31 AM #1

Hi!

I have a OM617.910 with the bigger 91mm bore. It's the 80HP engine.

I'm looking into fitting oversize-pistons from a 88HP engine into it. But I wonder if the piston pins have the same size? Mine seems to be a very early engine (n° 617.910-10-001357)...

And would the head of a later engine with the smal glow plugs fit the block? I need to change the head as I need a SLS pump (for a wagon) and don't feel like messing about with duo-pumps & custom brackets. Plus I want to give it the 88HP treatment.

I know, why not find a 88HP engine... Well; two reasons: I have this engine, 88HP engines fetch high money and the .910 block has one big advantage: there would be room for a starter to bolt on any later transmission:

[Image: diesel.jpg]

Thanks!

Jan

ronnie
GT2559V

04-05-2012, 08:11 PM #2
The head would fit, but you need the pistons to match the pre chambers. If using the newer pistons as you want to, then the newer head would be a good idea.

The cam and cam towers will be differant , the newer cam being the prefered cam, as long as you use all parts that go with it. I.e. valves, followers, etc. If using the newer head then get the cam and everything that goes on the head so you will have a matched set.
ronnie
04-05-2012, 08:11 PM #2

The head would fit, but you need the pistons to match the pre chambers. If using the newer pistons as you want to, then the newer head would be a good idea.

The cam and cam towers will be differant , the newer cam being the prefered cam, as long as you use all parts that go with it. I.e. valves, followers, etc. If using the newer head then get the cam and everything that goes on the head so you will have a matched set.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

04-06-2012, 08:32 AM #3
I'm a huge believer in porting the head and manifolds...after doing mine there is a noticeable amount of metal that's simply just in the way of "clear flow". I don't have any dyno numbers to back it up though :/

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
04-06-2012, 08:32 AM #3

I'm a huge believer in porting the head and manifolds...after doing mine there is a noticeable amount of metal that's simply just in the way of "clear flow". I don't have any dyno numbers to back it up though :/

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

04-06-2012, 09:57 AM #4
Thanks! Smile So my plan comes together...

@Simpler=Better: why shoudn't it work? After all, it's still the same physik behind gas & diesel engines. The piston travells down the bore. Vacuume is created. And if there's no device that forces air into the cylinder, there's a limit of air the cylinder can draw. Anything that restricts air flow to the cylinder, substracts from a theoreticall 100% cylinder fill. More air/cylinder filling = more power.

And here's where I might out myself as a total noob when it comes to diesel engines... But I think the same rule applies to diesel engines too. Doesn't it?
This post was last modified: 04-06-2012, 10:08 AM by DiseaselWeasel.

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603
DiseaselWeasel
04-06-2012, 09:57 AM #4

Thanks! Smile So my plan comes together...

@Simpler=Better: why shoudn't it work? After all, it's still the same physik behind gas & diesel engines. The piston travells down the bore. Vacuume is created. And if there's no device that forces air into the cylinder, there's a limit of air the cylinder can draw. Anything that restricts air flow to the cylinder, substracts from a theoreticall 100% cylinder fill. More air/cylinder filling = more power.

And here's where I might out myself as a total noob when it comes to diesel engines... But I think the same rule applies to diesel engines too. Doesn't it?

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603

ronnie
GT2559V

04-06-2012, 12:02 PM #5
Before I added the turbo to mine, a made a new intake manifold based on resonance tuning. This was a noticeable help with getting air in. Porting should also help, there is a bit of an art to it. I have not tryed it. In the end a turbo was the only way I was going to get the power I was looking for. Pc's need to have the burn holes enlarged too, about .010". This was a huge differance.
ronnie
04-06-2012, 12:02 PM #5

Before I added the turbo to mine, a made a new intake manifold based on resonance tuning. This was a noticeable help with getting air in. Porting should also help, there is a bit of an art to it. I have not tryed it. In the end a turbo was the only way I was going to get the power I was looking for. Pc's need to have the burn holes enlarged too, about .010". This was a huge differance.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average