STD Tuning Engine Ampage glow plug relay ?

Ampage glow plug relay ?

Ampage glow plug relay ?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

scraf
Naturally-aspirated

04-04-2012, 12:54 AM #1
....... google has failed me on this one.

Troubleshot the glow plug circuit on my 300D, faulty relay.

The relay was not immediately replaceable via my local parts store, so as an interim measure, I picked up one from the local electronic store for like 10 % of the online replacement part.

It works fine, although it only has a rating of 20/30 amps, which surprised me. Thought it would melt.

Glow plugs are of the "loop" type, five of them.

I've seen a 70 amp version online of the relay for about 3 €, which I'll probably get out of principle when I eventually upgrade to "pencil" type plugs.

Should mention that I initialize the glow plug system with the old fashioned "pull knob" as opposed to turning the key, thus the "cut out" feature when the engine is running / starter motor engaged on the Bosch etc., type relays is not needed in my case.

A pencil type glow plug is meant to draw 15 - 20 amps ? I assuming the loop type glow plug would draw less, but, and here is where my electrical savvy runs out, do five glow plugs of 20 amps = a draw of 100 amps ? If so, the 60 amp fuse in the circuit should also be dead meat if I upgrade.

scraf
04-04-2012, 12:54 AM #1

....... google has failed me on this one.

Troubleshot the glow plug circuit on my 300D, faulty relay.

The relay was not immediately replaceable via my local parts store, so as an interim measure, I picked up one from the local electronic store for like 10 % of the online replacement part.

It works fine, although it only has a rating of 20/30 amps, which surprised me. Thought it would melt.

Glow plugs are of the "loop" type, five of them.

I've seen a 70 amp version online of the relay for about 3 €, which I'll probably get out of principle when I eventually upgrade to "pencil" type plugs.

Should mention that I initialize the glow plug system with the old fashioned "pull knob" as opposed to turning the key, thus the "cut out" feature when the engine is running / starter motor engaged on the Bosch etc., type relays is not needed in my case.

A pencil type glow plug is meant to draw 15 - 20 amps ? I assuming the loop type glow plug would draw less, but, and here is where my electrical savvy runs out, do five glow plugs of 20 amps = a draw of 100 amps ? If so, the 60 amp fuse in the circuit should also be dead meat if I upgrade.

Hercules
GT2559V

04-04-2012, 03:23 AM #2
Mbz used a 60amp bar type fuse on the earlier pin type glow plug system,which was up graded to a 80 amp one. (Note) these are slow blow type fuses,will handle more than rated amperage for a predetermined period of time .
Hercules
04-04-2012, 03:23 AM #2

Mbz used a 60amp bar type fuse on the earlier pin type glow plug system,which was up graded to a 80 amp one. (Note) these are slow blow type fuses,will handle more than rated amperage for a predetermined period of time .

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

04-04-2012, 08:38 AM #3
Some people have had luck with the cheap 20A relays. A starter relay from an older vehicle can work for you-I recommend Ford/GM but I'm sure there's an inexpensive Netherlands domestic equivalent out there for you.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
04-04-2012, 08:38 AM #3

Some people have had luck with the cheap 20A relays. A starter relay from an older vehicle can work for you-I recommend Ford/GM but I'm sure there's an inexpensive Netherlands domestic equivalent out there for you.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

04-04-2012, 06:23 PM #4
I have a ford starter relay for my glowplugs

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
04-04-2012, 06:23 PM #4

I have a ford starter relay for my glowplugs

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average