STD Tuning Engine Measurement from pilot to pressure plate fingers, OM606 engine

Measurement from pilot to pressure plate fingers, OM606 engine

Measurement from pilot to pressure plate fingers, OM606 engine

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

K26-2

03-22-2012, 12:54 PM #1
I am wondering if someone could please measure the distance from the top of the pilot bearing to the top of the pressure plate spring fingers, or from the crankshaft where the pilot bearing resides to the top of the pressure plate spring fingers, on a stock type pressure plate installed on an OM606 engine. This should also be with a stock type flywheel.

I am trying to get this measurement as I will not use either the stock flywheel or clutch, but need to know the distance of the bespoke items, so that I can have the stock clutch fork operate the stock release bearing on a 16 valve, getrag transmission. I would like to use a multiplate clutch that has it's own flywheel.

If I can get the setup close to the stock clutch installed "height", then I will not need to use a spacer either on the crankshaft or the release bearing. Also, if the installed "height" is correct for the setup, I might be able to use a triple plate, but a twinplate would be fine as well.

I would measure it myself, but I do not have the a stock flywheel, nor clutch. I reckon that the measurement would allow me to know the proper distance to operate the clutch fork and release bearing without the stock flywheel and stock clutch being there. Any help would be appreciated!

Some caveats; assuming other flywheels combined with the clutch have the same overall installed height, it does not have to be all 16 valve flywheel/clutch/transmission bits. In addition, since I understand all the om60x and M10x engines share the basic crankshaft bolt pattern and transmission pattern, I would reckon they would be ok as well.

I apologize if this is in the wrong section Smile
03-22-2012, 12:54 PM #1

I am wondering if someone could please measure the distance from the top of the pilot bearing to the top of the pressure plate spring fingers, or from the crankshaft where the pilot bearing resides to the top of the pressure plate spring fingers, on a stock type pressure plate installed on an OM606 engine. This should also be with a stock type flywheel.

I am trying to get this measurement as I will not use either the stock flywheel or clutch, but need to know the distance of the bespoke items, so that I can have the stock clutch fork operate the stock release bearing on a 16 valve, getrag transmission. I would like to use a multiplate clutch that has it's own flywheel.

If I can get the setup close to the stock clutch installed "height", then I will not need to use a spacer either on the crankshaft or the release bearing. Also, if the installed "height" is correct for the setup, I might be able to use a triple plate, but a twinplate would be fine as well.

I would measure it myself, but I do not have the a stock flywheel, nor clutch. I reckon that the measurement would allow me to know the proper distance to operate the clutch fork and release bearing without the stock flywheel and stock clutch being there. Any help would be appreciated!

Some caveats; assuming other flywheels combined with the clutch have the same overall installed height, it does not have to be all 16 valve flywheel/clutch/transmission bits. In addition, since I understand all the om60x and M10x engines share the basic crankshaft bolt pattern and transmission pattern, I would reckon they would be ok as well.

I apologize if this is in the wrong section Smile

Kozuka
I'm_Badass

03-22-2012, 01:04 PM #2
There is a spacer that moves the pilot bearing to almost flat with the back surface of the crankshaft. the is also a cap that fits over it. I have an om603 but I cant measure it right now, I have a transmission laying around do you want me to see how long the input shaft is? But when I pulled apart my 2.3-16 engine I remember that it was pretty much flat with the spacer/pilot/cap in there.
Kozuka
03-22-2012, 01:04 PM #2

There is a spacer that moves the pilot bearing to almost flat with the back surface of the crankshaft. the is also a cap that fits over it. I have an om603 but I cant measure it right now, I have a transmission laying around do you want me to see how long the input shaft is? But when I pulled apart my 2.3-16 engine I remember that it was pretty much flat with the spacer/pilot/cap in there.

K26-2

03-22-2012, 01:16 PM #3
Do you mean when the clutch fork is fully depressed, fully engaged? I would like to get the measurement of where the clutch fork with the release bearing starts to touch the pressure plate spring fingers (release levers). That way, I can operate the multiplate clutch in hopefully the same range of displacement as it would with a stock clutch setup.

Normally I would just figure this out after I bought the clutch assembly, and make a spacer to suit, but I am on the fence regarding whether or not to just use a tripleplate in lieu of the twinplate. The twinplate is rated to ~650 lbs/ft of torque, so I do not want to exceed the limit. The triple is rated to 975 lbs/ft of torque, and not that much more expensive.

I am told that I can always upgrade from a twin to a triple later, but it would be nice to get it right the first time Cool

(03-22-2012, 01:04 PM)Kozuka There is a spacer that moves the pilot bearing to almost flat with the back surface of the crankshaft. the is also a cap that fits over it. I have an om603 but I cant measure it right now, I have a transmission laying around do you want me to see how long the input shaft is? But when I pulled apart my 2.3-16 engine I remember that it was pretty much flat with the spacer/pilot/cap in there.

03-22-2012, 01:16 PM #3

Do you mean when the clutch fork is fully depressed, fully engaged? I would like to get the measurement of where the clutch fork with the release bearing starts to touch the pressure plate spring fingers (release levers). That way, I can operate the multiplate clutch in hopefully the same range of displacement as it would with a stock clutch setup.

Normally I would just figure this out after I bought the clutch assembly, and make a spacer to suit, but I am on the fence regarding whether or not to just use a tripleplate in lieu of the twinplate. The twinplate is rated to ~650 lbs/ft of torque, so I do not want to exceed the limit. The triple is rated to 975 lbs/ft of torque, and not that much more expensive.

I am told that I can always upgrade from a twin to a triple later, but it would be nice to get it right the first time Cool

(03-22-2012, 01:04 PM)Kozuka There is a spacer that moves the pilot bearing to almost flat with the back surface of the crankshaft. the is also a cap that fits over it. I have an om603 but I cant measure it right now, I have a transmission laying around do you want me to see how long the input shaft is? But when I pulled apart my 2.3-16 engine I remember that it was pretty much flat with the spacer/pilot/cap in there.

K26-2

04-03-2012, 12:08 PM #4
Is anyone building their engine, or getting ready to install a new clutch Cool? Maybe Jeemu, EDH_Performance, hansebanger77, etc might know the measurement and answer?

The build awaits this one measurement Big Grin for a new way towards a super low inertia flywheel and clutch package that will handle the power and torque of a 606.

04-03-2012, 12:08 PM #4

Is anyone building their engine, or getting ready to install a new clutch Cool? Maybe Jeemu, EDH_Performance, hansebanger77, etc might know the measurement and answer?

The build awaits this one measurement Big Grin for a new way towards a super low inertia flywheel and clutch package that will handle the power and torque of a 606.

George3soccer
Holset

04-05-2012, 11:36 AM #5
Very Interested, have a 603 installed to a w201 8vlv 5 speed, Figure after upgrades tranny will break. I have a getreg tranny available in the shed just incase things need to be upgraded.

Mb 1984 w201 om603 swap.
Mb 1986 w201 190E 2.3-16v
Mb 2004 w203 C230k
George3soccer
04-05-2012, 11:36 AM #5

Very Interested, have a 603 installed to a w201 8vlv 5 speed, Figure after upgrades tranny will break. I have a getreg tranny available in the shed just incase things need to be upgraded.

Mb 1984 w201 om603 swap.
Mb 1986 w201 190E 2.3-16v
Mb 2004 w203 C230k

K26-2

04-18-2012, 12:57 PM #6
The idea is to use this from Tilton (5.5" diameter triple plate it looks like),

[Image: new1035.jpg]

by using longer fasteners than for the flexplate, possibly the right length when using fasteners originally for the stock flywheel, you bolt the assembly directly to the crankshaft. The stock flexplate would be sandwiched in between to engage the starter. The assembly has it's own friction surfaces, is very low mass, and coupled with the flexplate have a very low overall moment of inertia.

This method also eliminates the need to source a flywheel, and possibly the need to have a flywheel machined for less mass, and or machined flat to fit a BMW pressure plate.

A triple plate is rated for 930lbs/ft, a twin 620lbs/ft at least for a 7.25" diameter assembly which is what I would like to use:
http://www.tiltonracing.com/content.php?...id=332&m=d

An example of a twin plate, but this one has a flexplate that is correct already for an application. I do not think that Tilton has an off the shelf flexplate suitable for our engines, but they will make the above assembly to any crank specs or diameters for a nominal fee:

[Image: scaled.php?server=10&filename=img4101mr.jpg&res=landing]

Exploded view:

[Image: scaled.php?server=838&filename=img4102n.jpg&res=landing]

(04-05-2012, 11:36 AM)George3soccer Very Interested, have a 603 installed to a w201 8vlv 5 speed, Figure after upgrades tranny will break. I have a getreg tranny available in the shed just incase things need to be upgraded.

04-18-2012, 12:57 PM #6

The idea is to use this from Tilton (5.5" diameter triple plate it looks like),

[Image: new1035.jpg]

by using longer fasteners than for the flexplate, possibly the right length when using fasteners originally for the stock flywheel, you bolt the assembly directly to the crankshaft. The stock flexplate would be sandwiched in between to engage the starter. The assembly has it's own friction surfaces, is very low mass, and coupled with the flexplate have a very low overall moment of inertia.

This method also eliminates the need to source a flywheel, and possibly the need to have a flywheel machined for less mass, and or machined flat to fit a BMW pressure plate.

A triple plate is rated for 930lbs/ft, a twin 620lbs/ft at least for a 7.25" diameter assembly which is what I would like to use:
http://www.tiltonracing.com/content.php?...id=332&m=d

An example of a twin plate, but this one has a flexplate that is correct already for an application. I do not think that Tilton has an off the shelf flexplate suitable for our engines, but they will make the above assembly to any crank specs or diameters for a nominal fee:

[Image: scaled.php?server=10&filename=img4101mr.jpg&res=landing]

Exploded view:

[Image: scaled.php?server=838&filename=img4102n.jpg&res=landing]

(04-05-2012, 11:36 AM)George3soccer Very Interested, have a 603 installed to a w201 8vlv 5 speed, Figure after upgrades tranny will break. I have a getreg tranny available in the shed just incase things need to be upgraded.

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

04-18-2012, 10:33 PM #7
A big diesel like this may send a lot of vibrations in to the transmission with out a heavy flywheel?? but I don't know for sure.
The stock duel mass flywheel weighs around 50 pounds with clutch / pressure plate

Newer transmissions that came with a duel mass flywheels had the pilot bearing in the flywheel and shorter input shafts on the transmissions! like my 2002 c230 6spd manual transmission

older model transmissions that had standard flywheel had them in the crankshaft like normal

good luck keep us posted on how it turns out

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
04-18-2012, 10:33 PM #7

A big diesel like this may send a lot of vibrations in to the transmission with out a heavy flywheel?? but I don't know for sure.
The stock duel mass flywheel weighs around 50 pounds with clutch / pressure plate

Newer transmissions that came with a duel mass flywheels had the pilot bearing in the flywheel and shorter input shafts on the transmissions! like my 2002 c230 6spd manual transmission

older model transmissions that had standard flywheel had them in the crankshaft like normal

good luck keep us posted on how it turns out

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

K26-2

04-19-2012, 12:15 PM #8
Good to know. The clutch assembly is on the order of 10lbs with most of the mass concentrated towards the center of the crankshaft centerline.
I do not know how it feel or behave in the car, but running on the engine stand, with just the ring gear, you could balance an item of your choice on the
top of the 606 easily. The inline-6 and 606 for that matter, is a dynamically well balanced engine.

I am literally just waiting for the measurement to pull the trigger on either a twin or triple plate clutch assembly Cool Hopefully, someone will see this thread who has all the parts ready to measure, which would be excellent Big Grin

From there, the engine will go into the car straightaway, with all the associated parts I collected to make the process go smoothly. At least in theory Wink

04-19-2012, 12:15 PM #8

Good to know. The clutch assembly is on the order of 10lbs with most of the mass concentrated towards the center of the crankshaft centerline.
I do not know how it feel or behave in the car, but running on the engine stand, with just the ring gear, you could balance an item of your choice on the
top of the 606 easily. The inline-6 and 606 for that matter, is a dynamically well balanced engine.

I am literally just waiting for the measurement to pull the trigger on either a twin or triple plate clutch assembly Cool Hopefully, someone will see this thread who has all the parts ready to measure, which would be excellent Big Grin

From there, the engine will go into the car straightaway, with all the associated parts I collected to make the process go smoothly. At least in theory Wink

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average