STD Tuning Engine New to these...some questions, sorry

New to these...some questions, sorry

New to these...some questions, sorry

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

sixshooter
Naturally-aspirated

03-15-2012, 05:28 PM #1
Hello all, This is my first thread, so bear with me as I ask a few questions as I am attempting to accomplish many things in a short amount of words. First, I am finding out that these are really cool cars. I had found out about the OM617 from Koch Enterprises because I am a jeep aficionado (Its how I make my living). So I decided to look more into these as a potential transplant into a future project. Low and behold a current customer wants to put one in a Jag. I bought a really hammered 84' 300D (I think, maybe an SD) with a low mileage motor that had been put in it. I bought the car, because even if it cannot be used in the Jag, I will use it somewhere. Did they ever make one with with a rear sump oil pan or a mid pan, because at this point, it won't clear the K frame and I do not want to modify it.

Onto different projects, did they ever put these in 4wd in the US? Is the trans strong enough to handle to a 4wd application. Is there a transfer case with low range that fits behind that trans? If that trans is strong enough is there any reason not to run it in a jeep?

Finally, in terms of questions, what kind of simple tuning can be done to get some better power out of these so I can run bigger tires without going 11mph at the top of hill. What type of power should I expect out of it at that point?

Last but far from least, thanks for a great site, with a lots of great information. It has been very useful in helping me to learn if these are going to be the engine of choice for me. I hope I didn't ask too much in one post.
sixshooter
03-15-2012, 05:28 PM #1

Hello all, This is my first thread, so bear with me as I ask a few questions as I am attempting to accomplish many things in a short amount of words. First, I am finding out that these are really cool cars. I had found out about the OM617 from Koch Enterprises because I am a jeep aficionado (Its how I make my living). So I decided to look more into these as a potential transplant into a future project. Low and behold a current customer wants to put one in a Jag. I bought a really hammered 84' 300D (I think, maybe an SD) with a low mileage motor that had been put in it. I bought the car, because even if it cannot be used in the Jag, I will use it somewhere. Did they ever make one with with a rear sump oil pan or a mid pan, because at this point, it won't clear the K frame and I do not want to modify it.

Onto different projects, did they ever put these in 4wd in the US? Is the trans strong enough to handle to a 4wd application. Is there a transfer case with low range that fits behind that trans? If that trans is strong enough is there any reason not to run it in a jeep?

Finally, in terms of questions, what kind of simple tuning can be done to get some better power out of these so I can run bigger tires without going 11mph at the top of hill. What type of power should I expect out of it at that point?

Last but far from least, thanks for a great site, with a lots of great information. It has been very useful in helping me to learn if these are going to be the engine of choice for me. I hope I didn't ask too much in one post.

winmutt
bitbanger

03-15-2012, 06:17 PM #2
The gwagen came in auto and manual. Re the oil pan, you might want to look at the gwagen pan, it is the only variation I am aware of.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
03-15-2012, 06:17 PM #2

The gwagen came in auto and manual. Re the oil pan, you might want to look at the gwagen pan, it is the only variation I am aware of.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

larsalan
Superturbo

03-15-2012, 07:39 PM #3
koch makes one. He buys those castings too if anyone ever wants to get a few bucks.
http://rmaty.ktmnf.servertrust.com/Produ...de=A-MB102

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
03-15-2012, 07:39 PM #3

koch makes one. He buys those castings too if anyone ever wants to get a few bucks.
http://rmaty.ktmnf.servertrust.com/Produ...de=A-MB102

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'

yankneck696
Build it so strong & blow it up good !!!

03-16-2012, 04:57 AM #4
Larsalan, thst is a modded front sump pan used to clear the crossmember & steering. Notice the left side shows where the engine/adapter bolts up.
OP, cheapest & most availible option for 4WD would bo the the Koch adapter for $365 to AX-15n out of a Cherokee & associated transfer case (or D300 with Novak kit either stock side, clocked or flopped). The Merc trans is pretty robust, but with no lockup or OD, pretty outdated. There are also kits for GM transmissions (stick & auto)... Go the stickies & read about adjusting the IP & read up about people's turbo escapades...

Welcome to the dark & dirty side of Mercedes...

Ed
yankneck696
03-16-2012, 04:57 AM #4

Larsalan, thst is a modded front sump pan used to clear the crossmember & steering. Notice the left side shows where the engine/adapter bolts up.
OP, cheapest & most availible option for 4WD would bo the the Koch adapter for $365 to AX-15n out of a Cherokee & associated transfer case (or D300 with Novak kit either stock side, clocked or flopped). The Merc trans is pretty robust, but with no lockup or OD, pretty outdated. There are also kits for GM transmissions (stick & auto)... Go the stickies & read about adjusting the IP & read up about people's turbo escapades...

Welcome to the dark & dirty side of Mercedes...

Ed

sixshooter
Naturally-aspirated

03-24-2012, 08:43 AM #5
Thanks, I have have talked to Koch several times, and he is the one that actually turned me on to these motors in the first place. I will keep reading around the site here. Thanks again.
sixshooter
03-24-2012, 08:43 AM #5

Thanks, I have have talked to Koch several times, and he is the one that actually turned me on to these motors in the first place. I will keep reading around the site here. Thanks again.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average