STD Maintenance General OM617, odd hard start issue

OM617, odd hard start issue

OM617, odd hard start issue

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Quen
Naturally-aspirated

02-19-2012, 02:16 PM #1
Hello everyone. I've got an 83 617td that's been a pretty good runner, but for the year I've had it it's had this odd hard start issue. It happens after you've driven and shut it down for a short period of time, like fueling up or running into 7-Eleven. The amount of time the engine has been running prior to this doesn't seem to effect it. I've installed new Bosch glow plugs and replace both fuel filters every oil change. New filters don't seem to change anything either. I've checked over the glow plug system and it's working properly.

So here's a scenario of what happens: Get in turn the key to "Run", wait for the light to go out, crank, and within a 5-second count the engine fires up. It runs smoothly, doesn't sputter, miss, chug, or cough up any smoke. Go any distance(three blocks to the fueling station or an hour away) shut the engine off and have it off for less than ~10 minutes. Go through the start procedure again, and it just cranks. If you give it a few minutes then it'll fire up, you don't have to leave the key in run or anything. If you leave the engine off for 10+ minutes(let it sit for a week while on vacation once) and go through the start, it fires up within that 5 second count.

I have asked around, but it seems to stump everyone. The problem is more of an annoyance than anything else. If you have to shut the engine off for some reason then you're kinda stuck sitting there until it decides to work. I have not done a compression test yet, so I don't know what those numbers are. Anyone have any ideas what I should be checking for? Injectors or IP maybe? I just don't know what to check. Thanks
Quen
02-19-2012, 02:16 PM #1

Hello everyone. I've got an 83 617td that's been a pretty good runner, but for the year I've had it it's had this odd hard start issue. It happens after you've driven and shut it down for a short period of time, like fueling up or running into 7-Eleven. The amount of time the engine has been running prior to this doesn't seem to effect it. I've installed new Bosch glow plugs and replace both fuel filters every oil change. New filters don't seem to change anything either. I've checked over the glow plug system and it's working properly.

So here's a scenario of what happens: Get in turn the key to "Run", wait for the light to go out, crank, and within a 5-second count the engine fires up. It runs smoothly, doesn't sputter, miss, chug, or cough up any smoke. Go any distance(three blocks to the fueling station or an hour away) shut the engine off and have it off for less than ~10 minutes. Go through the start procedure again, and it just cranks. If you give it a few minutes then it'll fire up, you don't have to leave the key in run or anything. If you leave the engine off for 10+ minutes(let it sit for a week while on vacation once) and go through the start, it fires up within that 5 second count.

I have asked around, but it seems to stump everyone. The problem is more of an annoyance than anything else. If you have to shut the engine off for some reason then you're kinda stuck sitting there until it decides to work. I have not done a compression test yet, so I don't know what those numbers are. Anyone have any ideas what I should be checking for? Injectors or IP maybe? I just don't know what to check. Thanks

aaa
GT2256V

02-19-2012, 06:20 PM #2
Check for air leaking into the fuel lines, or a clogged tank vent. Try seeing if you get a whoosh from the fuel tank cap when this happens for example.

So is the glowplug light lighting up for a good few seconds? If it's winking out in only a split second it could be GP problems.
aaa
02-19-2012, 06:20 PM #2

Check for air leaking into the fuel lines, or a clogged tank vent. Try seeing if you get a whoosh from the fuel tank cap when this happens for example.

So is the glowplug light lighting up for a good few seconds? If it's winking out in only a split second it could be GP problems.

Quen
Naturally-aspirated

02-19-2012, 08:31 PM #3
I hadn't checked for a clogged tank vent, I'll have to look at that. All the fuel and return lines, except for the hard lines, are new. The injector return lines were weeping when I got it, so I figured replacing all of them was a good idea.

As for the GP light, I haven't timed it but it doesn't just come on and go out. You have to wait a few seconds for it to go out. Is there a specific amount of time it should stay on?
Quen
02-19-2012, 08:31 PM #3

I hadn't checked for a clogged tank vent, I'll have to look at that. All the fuel and return lines, except for the hard lines, are new. The injector return lines were weeping when I got it, so I figured replacing all of them was a good idea.

As for the GP light, I haven't timed it but it doesn't just come on and go out. You have to wait a few seconds for it to go out. Is there a specific amount of time it should stay on?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average