STD Maintenance General Turbo Rebuild

Turbo Rebuild

Turbo Rebuild

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Kozuka
I'm_Badass

04-27-2009, 03:52 PM #1
Hey guys I'm back again with another question about the wagon. I'm noticing a grinding noise coming from the turbo at specific low rpm's but not idle. I believe there is enough shaft play on the compressor side that the turbine is rubbing up against the compressor housing.

So I'm in a prediciment, this turbo probably is original (looks like it) and my mom's wagon has like 405,000 miles. But I have the W116 that has a factory motor with 40,000 miles I was wondering could I just take that turbo and throw it on the wagon (since it is it's backup engine/partscar). I understand there are two different turbo's the kkk and the t3 how difficult would it be. Or would you just recommend trying to rebuild the T3? I don't believe this issue is attributed to the turbo killing itself but just normal wear. I haven't really checked to see if they are completely the same yet.

Thanks,
Kozuka
Kozuka
04-27-2009, 03:52 PM #1

Hey guys I'm back again with another question about the wagon. I'm noticing a grinding noise coming from the turbo at specific low rpm's but not idle. I believe there is enough shaft play on the compressor side that the turbine is rubbing up against the compressor housing.

So I'm in a prediciment, this turbo probably is original (looks like it) and my mom's wagon has like 405,000 miles. But I have the W116 that has a factory motor with 40,000 miles I was wondering could I just take that turbo and throw it on the wagon (since it is it's backup engine/partscar). I understand there are two different turbo's the kkk and the t3 how difficult would it be. Or would you just recommend trying to rebuild the T3? I don't believe this issue is attributed to the turbo killing itself but just normal wear. I haven't really checked to see if they are completely the same yet.

Thanks,
Kozuka

ForcedInduction
Banned

04-27-2009, 04:21 PM #2
Swapping the two turbos is 100% bolt-in. If the turbo is making grinding noises its too late for a rebuild, the wheels are damaged.
ForcedInduction
04-27-2009, 04:21 PM #2

Swapping the two turbos is 100% bolt-in. If the turbo is making grinding noises its too late for a rebuild, the wheels are damaged.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average