STD Other Projects My 190D - OM605 project

My 190D - OM605 project

My 190D - OM605 project

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fatman
Naturally-aspirated

10-25-2014, 03:47 PM #1
Hi guys… been a member on here about a year and having recently acquired an OM605 for W201 Mercedes 190 so thought I would start a bit of a project thread for the car.

I bought it last December...The most impulsive purchase I have ever made... and I make alot of them lol. I took a notion for a 190 and was looking at a few on Gumtree and on forums really just to gauge prices, parts availability, and common problems. Then I remembered a friend of a friend that had one I had seen at Castlewellan (Big VW show in Northern Ireland) and asked him to see if it was for sale... It was... and within two days it was dropped at my mate Connor's house so I could do a little work to it before bringing it home to mine. Here is how it sat when I brought it home.

[Image: 11195354205_b2e63af658_z.jpg]Untitled by fperformance, on Flickr

The car had some issues and the further I dug into the car, the more needed to be fixed, replaced and repaired. Eventually, after a lot of thought, I decided that it would be best to simply rebuild the whole thing!

I could bore you all with pictures of the parts Ive bought but it would probably be easier just to list them:

New front and rear discs
New front and rear pads
New handbrake shoes
New rubber flex brake hoses all round
New front wheel bearings
New ball joints
New ARB bushes
New rear camber arms
New YellowSpeed Racing Coilovers
New front and rear flex discs
New prop shaft bearing and bush
New rear drop links
New handbrake cables
New track rod ends
New battery
New battery tray
New alternator belt, tensioner and water pump pulley
and much, much more!!

Anyways… Along with getting the car road worthy, I also have been sorting some wheels for the car. These I had kicking about from my old MK3 and decided to throw them onto the car after ordering a new set of adapters from Adaptec (nightmare… complete and utter!).

[Image: 13874562065_705d990969.jpg]
DSC_0071
by fperformance, on Flickr

[Image: 13874504975_cec44b8cc2.jpg]
DSC_0074

[Image: 13874483995_2ec2a83a0d.jpg]
DSC_0075

[Image: 13874462585_72bcf822d2.jpg]
DSC_0076

After this point the car basically became driveway ornament Sad. With work and other projects I didn't get a chance to work on the car all summer… but I now have a little free time on my hands so I'm gonna start working at it again Big Grin.

The Plans for the car are:

Full Respray in Original white
Weld up holes in floor and sills
Strip and reseal the entire underside of the car
Strip and rebuild suspension and brake systems
OM605 (standard engine for now)
Refurbish the Corvette wheels

The plan is to have the car ready for next August when me and some of my friends are heading to MIVW in Amsterdam and probably take a week and tour Germany, Holland and Belgium too. Big Grin.

Hope I didn't bore anyone lol. Need a little advise on the 605 conversion but Ill throw that up in a separate thread when I get a chance Smile

Cheers
Stefan Big Grin
Fatman
10-25-2014, 03:47 PM #1

Hi guys… been a member on here about a year and having recently acquired an OM605 for W201 Mercedes 190 so thought I would start a bit of a project thread for the car.

I bought it last December...The most impulsive purchase I have ever made... and I make alot of them lol. I took a notion for a 190 and was looking at a few on Gumtree and on forums really just to gauge prices, parts availability, and common problems. Then I remembered a friend of a friend that had one I had seen at Castlewellan (Big VW show in Northern Ireland) and asked him to see if it was for sale... It was... and within two days it was dropped at my mate Connor's house so I could do a little work to it before bringing it home to mine. Here is how it sat when I brought it home.

[Image: 11195354205_b2e63af658_z.jpg]Untitled by fperformance, on Flickr

The car had some issues and the further I dug into the car, the more needed to be fixed, replaced and repaired. Eventually, after a lot of thought, I decided that it would be best to simply rebuild the whole thing!

I could bore you all with pictures of the parts Ive bought but it would probably be easier just to list them:

New front and rear discs
New front and rear pads
New handbrake shoes
New rubber flex brake hoses all round
New front wheel bearings
New ball joints
New ARB bushes
New rear camber arms
New YellowSpeed Racing Coilovers
New front and rear flex discs
New prop shaft bearing and bush
New rear drop links
New handbrake cables
New track rod ends
New battery
New battery tray
New alternator belt, tensioner and water pump pulley
and much, much more!!

Anyways… Along with getting the car road worthy, I also have been sorting some wheels for the car. These I had kicking about from my old MK3 and decided to throw them onto the car after ordering a new set of adapters from Adaptec (nightmare… complete and utter!).

[Image: 13874562065_705d990969.jpg]
DSC_0071

[Image: 13874504975_cec44b8cc2.jpg]
DSC_0074

[Image: 13874483995_2ec2a83a0d.jpg]
DSC_0075

[Image: 13874462585_72bcf822d2.jpg]
DSC_0076

After this point the car basically became driveway ornament Sad. With work and other projects I didn't get a chance to work on the car all summer… but I now have a little free time on my hands so I'm gonna start working at it again Big Grin.

The Plans for the car are:

Full Respray in Original white
Weld up holes in floor and sills
Strip and reseal the entire underside of the car
Strip and rebuild suspension and brake systems
OM605 (standard engine for now)
Refurbish the Corvette wheels

The plan is to have the car ready for next August when me and some of my friends are heading to MIVW in Amsterdam and probably take a week and tour Germany, Holland and Belgium too. Big Grin.

Hope I didn't bore anyone lol. Need a little advise on the 605 conversion but Ill throw that up in a separate thread when I get a chance Smile

Cheers
Stefan Big Grin

raysorenson
Superturbo

10-26-2014, 03:46 PM #2
I'm impressed with how well those wheels work on a 201. Are they 8.5", et 56? How thick are the adapters? How much do you think you could raise the car with those yellowspeed coilovers?

After seeing video of Duncasport's 124 with a Holset H1C equipped 602, I'm thinking a 602 can easily provide as much power as you need but that's just me. I prefer insane power in AWD.

Nice car. Thanks for sharing.
raysorenson
10-26-2014, 03:46 PM #2

I'm impressed with how well those wheels work on a 201. Are they 8.5", et 56? How thick are the adapters? How much do you think you could raise the car with those yellowspeed coilovers?

After seeing video of Duncasport's 124 with a Holset H1C equipped 602, I'm thinking a 602 can easily provide as much power as you need but that's just me. I prefer insane power in AWD.

Nice car. Thanks for sharing.

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

10-27-2014, 08:07 AM #3
Sweet, they make it look like a Tron hovercar

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
10-27-2014, 08:07 AM #3

Sweet, they make it look like a Tron hovercar

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

Petar
7.5mm M pump

10-27-2014, 03:29 PM #4
IMHO those wheels look bad.

(10-26-2014, 03:46 PM)raysorenson .....

His car is RHD and probably has an non turbo 602.
Petar
10-27-2014, 03:29 PM #4

IMHO those wheels look bad.

(10-26-2014, 03:46 PM)raysorenson .....

His car is RHD and probably has an non turbo 602.

Fatman
Naturally-aspirated

10-27-2014, 11:13 PM #5
Thanks for the comments guys

Raysorenson... They are 8.5 at the front and 9.5 at the rear... Can't remember what size the adaptors are. If it stayed at that height I'd be happy... It was on cut springs and the shocks are pretty worn so the coilovers seemed like a nice idea. Also means I can adjust them if I need to :D. As Petar said... Getting a turbo manifold is quite hard and I picked up an OM605 for £200 locally from a scrap yard. About the price of the turbo and manifold I was looking at on German EBay... Seemed like a better option :).

Hario... Hahah never heard it described it like that before. Btw... I need to PM you about an OM605 aluminium intake manifold ;).

Petar... Yeah man it's a bit of a love hate thing! I love it... Some of my friends... Not so much lol. But you're right about the RHD thing... The downpipe is gonna be brilliant fun to snake around the steering box :( lol
Fatman
10-27-2014, 11:13 PM #5

Thanks for the comments guys

Raysorenson... They are 8.5 at the front and 9.5 at the rear... Can't remember what size the adaptors are. If it stayed at that height I'd be happy... It was on cut springs and the shocks are pretty worn so the coilovers seemed like a nice idea. Also means I can adjust them if I need to :D. As Petar said... Getting a turbo manifold is quite hard and I picked up an OM605 for £200 locally from a scrap yard. About the price of the turbo and manifold I was looking at on German EBay... Seemed like a better option :).

Hario... Hahah never heard it described it like that before. Btw... I need to PM you about an OM605 aluminium intake manifold ;).

Petar... Yeah man it's a bit of a love hate thing! I love it... Some of my friends... Not so much lol. But you're right about the RHD thing... The downpipe is gonna be brilliant fun to snake around the steering box :( lol

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average