• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

mgnf
Naturally-aspirated

01-03-2012, 06:58 PM #1
Hi new to the forum,
Looking to build a big HP 606.
Not interested in looks

First of all, I'm in Dorset England.
Which models carried the 606 turbo engine?
I hate EFI so mechanical pump needs sourcing, what options do I have (which models/years?)

Aparantly a leyland daf has the correct turbo? Any models or years??

Tubular manifold I was going to use a skyline top mount manifold from HKS and cut the plate off and weld a 606 plate on, my friendly local exhaust shop will make the downpipe for me and give it a little side exit.

7.5mm elements?? Not big enough?? Where do I get bigger and which man in Finland should build it? Or even better someone capable in England?

I was thinking of salvaging a intercooler from a lorry as I know for a few in scrap yards.

Bigger objectors? Is this needed or not? Can they be ground down or drilled??

How do I make it rev higher?
I'm not afraid of bad idle or lots of smoke,
Can add extra cooling as plan to strip out the car and luckily I'm a plumber with lots of spare pipe!!

Dont want to spend anymore than I have to
Trying to get the highest HP for the lowest price and have plenty of man power and creativity!! (Also quite a bit of experience with transit DI turbo engines and mechanical IPs)

With this many experts on here I hope someone can answer my many questions!

This post was last modified: 01-03-2012, 07:04 PM by mgnf.
mgnf
01-03-2012, 06:58 PM #1

Hi new to the forum,
Looking to build a big HP 606.
Not interested in looks

First of all, I'm in Dorset England.
Which models carried the 606 turbo engine?
I hate EFI so mechanical pump needs sourcing, what options do I have (which models/years?)

Aparantly a leyland daf has the correct turbo? Any models or years??

Tubular manifold I was going to use a skyline top mount manifold from HKS and cut the plate off and weld a 606 plate on, my friendly local exhaust shop will make the downpipe for me and give it a little side exit.

7.5mm elements?? Not big enough?? Where do I get bigger and which man in Finland should build it? Or even better someone capable in England?

I was thinking of salvaging a intercooler from a lorry as I know for a few in scrap yards.

Bigger objectors? Is this needed or not? Can they be ground down or drilled??

How do I make it rev higher?
I'm not afraid of bad idle or lots of smoke,
Can add extra cooling as plan to strip out the car and luckily I'm a plumber with lots of spare pipe!!

Dont want to spend anymore than I have to
Trying to get the highest HP for the lowest price and have plenty of man power and creativity!! (Also quite a bit of experience with transit DI turbo engines and mechanical IPs)

With this many experts on here I hope someone can answer my many questions!

erling66
SuperDieselVan

01-05-2012, 07:28 PM #2
Hi

A good advice is to sit down and read all the treads(on this forum) about the 606 engine. You will learn a lot and will be able to answer those questions yourselfSmile

HuhCoolTongue
erling66
01-05-2012, 07:28 PM #2

Hi

A good advice is to sit down and read all the treads(on this forum) about the 606 engine. You will learn a lot and will be able to answer those questions yourselfSmile

HuhCoolTongue

bad3gakk
om605 - kkk27 - w124

01-06-2012, 02:53 PM #3
Mb e300 turbodiesel (w210) '96 to '00 has this engines.. get yourself å BIG wastegate, and make a pipe for it in the orgiginal exhaust manifold. Make a downpipe from the original turbo, and mount the larger turbo on it, after the original with the wastegate outlet from the manifold to tje downpipe. Make the air from the large turbo run through the small one. Compound turbo setup, no lag, tremendous amounts of top pressure and power all the way Smile

Ip, from myna is expensive, but it delivers bang for the buck.. they make 8mm (maybe even more?).. or dieselmeken in Sweden (he is a genious, and a true certified diesel tech of the old school, and _BEST_ school) Smile

What turbo u want to use, I can't tell u, but There is a lot of info to find here on forum, but I know Holset hx40 suits a 606 with anything that has 7mm or more elements Smile

The Ip u want, you will find in a om603, or a 606 n/a from a w124... Throttle linkages may wary, so be aware of what you need and buy...
bad3gakk
01-06-2012, 02:53 PM #3

Mb e300 turbodiesel (w210) '96 to '00 has this engines.. get yourself å BIG wastegate, and make a pipe for it in the orgiginal exhaust manifold. Make a downpipe from the original turbo, and mount the larger turbo on it, after the original with the wastegate outlet from the manifold to tje downpipe. Make the air from the large turbo run through the small one. Compound turbo setup, no lag, tremendous amounts of top pressure and power all the way Smile

Ip, from myna is expensive, but it delivers bang for the buck.. they make 8mm (maybe even more?).. or dieselmeken in Sweden (he is a genious, and a true certified diesel tech of the old school, and _BEST_ school) Smile

What turbo u want to use, I can't tell u, but There is a lot of info to find here on forum, but I know Holset hx40 suits a 606 with anything that has 7mm or more elements Smile

The Ip u want, you will find in a om603, or a 606 n/a from a w124... Throttle linkages may wary, so be aware of what you need and buy...

mgnf
Naturally-aspirated

01-08-2012, 06:14 PM #4
Do you know for any pictures of this compound turbo set up? And wouldnt the standard turbo take the higher inlet pressure? Obviously the boost a Hx40 would produce is way different to the ambient pressure the standard turbo would usually inhale? I love the sound of this set up!! Would it be possible to fit a manual boost controller to the standard wasyegate and also fit an external wastegate with dump pipe between the turbos? Surely I could take the wastegate from a scania? (Are these external??)
Surely two wastegates set the same are better than one?
And do you mean for the air side
Air filter - big turbo - small turbo - intercooler - inlet manifold
Or...
Air filter - small turbo - big turbo - intercooler - inlet manifold?

Would it make more sence to fit the intercooler between the big turbo and the small one?
This post was last modified: 01-08-2012, 06:22 PM by mgnf.

Mercedes sprinter 311cdi
mgnf
01-08-2012, 06:14 PM #4

Do you know for any pictures of this compound turbo set up? And wouldnt the standard turbo take the higher inlet pressure? Obviously the boost a Hx40 would produce is way different to the ambient pressure the standard turbo would usually inhale? I love the sound of this set up!! Would it be possible to fit a manual boost controller to the standard wasyegate and also fit an external wastegate with dump pipe between the turbos? Surely I could take the wastegate from a scania? (Are these external??)

Surely two wastegates set the same are better than one?
And do you mean for the air side
Air filter - big turbo - small turbo - intercooler - inlet manifold
Or...
Air filter - small turbo - big turbo - intercooler - inlet manifold?

Would it make more sence to fit the intercooler between the big turbo and the small one?

Mercedes sprinter 311cdi

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average